Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

€15 for 6 mince pies!? You're havin' a laugh intcha?!

Get to Gluten fee ones for EU10 for 6.

Jude13 wrote: »

Sorry Jude but no thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Saw 4 gluten free mince pies for €6 in Lidl
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Fresh popcorn thanks for posting
    I got a huge Ferrero rocher cheesecake from a cake maker in Whitehall before 25 euro with delivery it was very impressive and plenty to go around he was a nice man very professional but I don’t think he is doing them anymore

Thanks for the heads up re: LIDL & Stollen TRS30, was on site this morning & popped in on my way home afterwards & picked one up, along with a couple of chocolate Santas for the Kids stockings (already hidden away with their other gifts in the attic store)

Had my first slice of Stollen for 2020 just there now with a coffee, it was fantastic, if ever a food tasted like christmas its stollen!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Has anyone seen fresh cranberries or is it too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Has anyone seen fresh cranberries or is it too early?

I'm almost certain it's still too early for the main supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up re: LIDL & Stollen TRS30, was on site this morning & popped in on my way home afterwards & picked one up, along with a couple of chocolate Santas for the Kids stockings (already hidden away with their other gifts in the attic store)

Had my first slice of Stollen for 2020 just there now with a coffee, it was fantastic, if ever a food tasted like christmas its stollen!!

Good to hear :)

My local one has a fair bit of Christmas stuff in already and I'm sure will be more each week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm almost certain it's still too early for the main supermarkets

I think it's usually closer to December before they are readily available.

I did see fresh sprouts in Tesco last week though!

I have never had Stollen what is it like do you put butter in it, is I like fruit soda bread?

• Advertisement

SarahLil wrote: »
    I have never had Stollen what is it like do you put butter in it, is I like fruit soda bread?

Its a fruitbread/cake kind of hybrid. It also has a nice marzipan filling (though not all have this allegedly) through the centre. Its genrally dusted with icing sugar.
    You can butter it when sliced, or spread jam on it if you really have a sweet tooth, but I eat it plain, goes down lovely with a cup of tea or coffee.

It wouldn't be anything like as dense as a fruit soda & would have far more fruit in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Happy covid Christmas to all, or is it corona Christmas?

begbysback wrote: »
    Happy covid Christmas to all, or is it corona Christmas?

Just Christmas. All that other depressing stuff can be left at the door :)

Its a fruitbread/cake kind of hybrid. It also has a nice marzipan filling (though not all have this allegedly) through the centre. Its genrally dusted with icing sugar.
    You can butter it when sliced, or spread jam on it if you really have a sweet tooth, but I eat it plain, goes down lovely with a cup of tea or coffee.

It wouldn't be anything like as dense as a fruit soda & would have far more fruit in it.

Thanks I’ll pick one up to try x

"marzipan" I'm out. Yuck.

"marzipan" I'm out. Yuck.

You can get them without too. though I've never sought them out. Fond of a bit of marzipan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reading local papers in Waterford regarding winterval

Sadly no Ice rink, santa arrival/opening and no visual show at nights

Masks to be worn in Santas grotto and can be taken off for pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

120540205_10224245934562316_7514907154634876438_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=9r9-w9F4p5cAX88soiU&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8a7c3f6d258f511c7e1fde02e13bcf45&oe=5F97E2F9

120540205_10224245934562316_7514907154634876438_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=9r9-w9F4p5cAX88soiU&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8a7c3f6d258f511c7e1fde02e13bcf45&oe=5F97E2F9

More covid related christmas stuff, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

The Christmas section is now up on the M&S website

https://www.marksandspencer.com/ie/c/christmas-shop/christmas-at-home#intid=gnav-christmasathome

I remember waiting for their stuff to go 3 for 2 last year, which it never did.

Strolling aimlessly through the shops in November/December is definitely something I'm really going to miss this year. I usually would go through Dublin City centre every day on my way to and from work. It will just have to be replaced with scrolling aimlessly though websites instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

SarahLil wrote: »
    Always had it shop-bought myself, the recipe does not seem too difficult though !
    https://germanfoods.org/recipes/dresdner-stollen/

Interesting trivia: there is a Stollenfest apparently !
    https://www.dresdnerstollen.com/en/dresdner-christstollen

More covid related christmas stuff, no thanks.

I'm not into it either to be honest.

I think RTE are going to be brutal this Christmas.

To be fair I suspect TV in general will be below par, though that's been a trend for a while now. Over christmas, pretty much like any other time of the year, other than the odd programme or film we have recorded we rarely watch 'live' TV & tend to stream most of what we watch. I might dip into a few repeats on Gold or Dave or whatever they're called nowadays but generally dont tend to sit down & watch that much TV. Though with socializing less likely this year that may change, though I suspect our viewing habits wont.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm not into it either to be honest.

Same as every Christmas so :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    Took the words right out of my mouth there. :D

Loughc wrote: »

Ya, they’ll really get there misery slots in this year tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Speaking of TV, the Sony movies Christmas channel is missing today. I am with Virgin TV and channel 329 has disappeared.

It's sounding really wintery out there tonight :)

I'm not keen on the covid tack. I am eagerly tracking my cadbury delivery. It has left London, who knows when it will get here. It will take a lot of will not to make the sleigh with the little one straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Heating on for the first time this morning, next stop Christmas :)

Advertisement