Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3DS has limited save space per cartridge.

Absolutely no excuse for it on switch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see The Initiative are partnering with Crystal Dynamics on Perfect Dark. Apparently the former are still relatively small - maybe they've had trouble hiring during the pandemic. I think a few of their camp are former CD employees anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

As long as it's not by way of Crystal Dynamic's Black Widow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll go a step further.

Perfect Dark was never good.

• Advertisement

It was good, but was prevented from being great by the naff alien stuff. Hopefully this one will stick to more grounded near-future sci-fi. Interestingly they're describing it as a first person espionage game, so it'd be nice if they emphasise that angle and it wasn't an out and out shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Agree!

That last thing the Xbox needs is another shooter. Hopefully this game is more than just point n click murder + press a to continue.

. .

. .

. .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thats why Kojima is special. All this third wall stuff. Was mind blowing way back when in MGS1.

Hasbro have apparently set up a AAA studio tasked with developing games based on some of their IPs. I think they already own Wizards of the Coast who have their own studios (and are developing a GI Joe game), but I don't know if this one is going to be in addition to that or not, or separate from WotC. Anyway, there's plenty of decent IPs there for them to work with; Transformers, Power Rangers, Micro Machines, Action Man to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Micro Machines V3 remake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

My bad, I should've quoted the post above mentioning Hasbro's IPs which includes Micro Machines. Just saying it would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

The last micro machines game was fairly poor sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

It's just proof you can't trust public polls. The same public that voted for Johnson and trump and buy Coldplay albums.

Good taste isn't predicated on sales and popularity.

And neither does it make david cage any less of a hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Meh, they are what they are. They're designed to create debate and drive traffic to the site. Much the same as the Rolling Stone top 500 songs a couple of weeks ago. They have zero impact what I enjoy or think is good.

Didn't see any David Cage games in there thankfully (unless I'm going blind) but I'll say no more about him lest I upset some of the more sensitive souls on here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not sure any poll that pits Civilisation IV against an Assassin's Creed game can be considered a fair bellwether of gaming

I do enjoy a curated list from experts in the field but a public vote is just noise. I mean it's come down to Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto V not because they are deserving I'd argue but because they are to two best selling games on the last 20 years or more and are still in the public conscious. That's all a popular vote tells you.

In actual gaming news it looks like Eurogamer is going behind a paywall for a lot of it's content, mostly the editorials, opinion pieces and podcast. The editorials and opinion pieces are my favourite part of the site so it's a bummer but it's indicative of the sad state of affairs of game journalism that one of the last places to for good games journalism is going behind a pay wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Two levels as well. Standard is priced at £3.99/$4.99 per month, and Premium (which has exclusive articles) is £5.99/$7.99. Savings when being paid annually. Its steep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I dunno, Eurogamer used to be my favourite source for games news and reviews but I feel they've gone downhill a lot in recent times.

They have a couple of reviewers who seem to love using a review as an excuse to write a long pretentious thought piece about some interest of theirs that is tangentially related to the game, and barely cover the game itself during the review.

Then there's the soapbox reviews - e.g. the latest FIFA 22 review where the reviewer admitted he didn't touch career mode (a large and deep feature that's completely free of IAP and has tons of content which has apparently had a bunch of changes this year, not that I could tell you what they were after reading the review) and instead only played the one mode that has lootboxes in it, then spent the entire review raging about lootboxes the same way as he does every year, while barely talking about what changed from FIFA 21. Lootboxes are bad, sure, I get it, but that was also the case last year and hasn't changed. You can still play the game and enjoy some of the many other modes without engaging with lootboxes and it would be nice if he at least touched upon whether or not that is worth doing.

To look at some other recent examples, there was the Kena review where they decided to get pre-emptively offended about some of the symobology used in the game on behalf of people in Asia who don't seem to have an issue with it, or their recent Lost Judgment review where they basically decided the game doesn't have a right to explore mature themes because it's fun, a criticism that nobody else seems to share - I'm playing the game at the moment and very much enjoying it. And their attack on It Takes Two because the reviewer seemed to have some personal hangup about divorce was pretty bizarre.

All reviews are ultimately subjective of course, but there are different levels of subjectivity and it feels that to a large extent they've moved away from the old fashioned informative review format that talks about game mechanics etc which they used to do, and have moved into this new format where the reviewer just has free reign to pontificate about whatever they want and you come away none the wiser about whether it's a game you should buy.

Digital Foundry remains excellent, though maybe not so relevant for consumer information these days when all games perform excellently on both consoles, but they still produce some articles that make for interesting reading.

Unless I'm going completely blind, is it not God of War and Grand Theft Auto V?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah it looks to be but silent hill 2 is not even there so the whole thing is null and void and whilst that is my opinion, I will happily say anyone who doesn't think it should be in the top 100 is wrong and wont be changed on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's a list of 64 games. It couldn't even get past the last 16. That is indicative that it isn't that highly thought of by the tens of millions of players that have played it.

So even with their massive player base advantage, Skyrim failed to get past the last 16 in a 64 game competition, that's a big loss for Skyrim and for you.

I'm glad that this discussion is now settled and it's time to move on.

Lads, I've haven't seen such a withering putdown since the glory days of Dorothy Parker. You're just going to have to accept that Phantom Pain has in fact given you the L. It may take you some time to come back from this but I'm sure your friends and family are on hand to offer support during this devastating time.

Advertisement