Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm disappointed it didn't follow other games which gave modern and retro looks. Like others, I'll probably play it for the nostalgia and stop soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭McFly85

Any attempt to properly remaster it was seemingly impossible due to the convoluted rights issues. The one being released on Friday isn’t even the pretty much completed Xbox 360 remaster, more a direct port.

Looking forward to a few hours of nostalgia regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The excellent Road 96 is getting a prequel in April called Mile 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Goldeneye is available now on Xbox. It is not available for individual purchase, only as part of Rare Replay or with Game Pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also only available for digital copies of rare replay.

• Advertisement

Played the first couple of levels on the Xbox this morning - it plays pretty well in fairness. Goldeneye did essentially have a twin stick setup without 2 sticks anyway(albeit an odd one by todays standards), but the default mapping is basically how you would play any modern shooter.

My biggest gripes are it makes the incredibly heavy auto-aim even more noticeable, and the text really needs to be upscaled. Mainly though, I’m looking forward to some 4 player multiplayer with the lads!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game always had that overly heavy auto aiming. This was before halo and the innovations it brought to fps controls on console so the heavy auto aiming was needed to make it playable. You get used to it but basically unless you are snipping you really shouldn't be aiming down the sights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As seminal and fondly remembered as the N64 is, I've always found their games just really ugly to look at, ageing like milk. I'm sure many still play well, early days of 3D notwithstanding, but yikes the games looked like àss. Not that the PS1 (the console I did have) didn't have its issues with affine warping etc but the N64 I look back at and go yikes. Obviously YMMV.

It's kind of the general consensus. There's a few gorgeous looking games but the vast majority of those came from Nintendo. They kept their games cartoon style which suited the N64's architecture and also aimed for 30-60 stable FPS. Compare that to the technically impressive Rare games that look horrendous now. Even then I find the two zelda games on the system really look old as well.

The N64 was way more powerful than the PS1 but it had a major issue with a severe lack of texture memory. It meant textures could not be bigger than 4Kb which meant you had a lot of very low resolution textures stretched and blurred which looks awful.

There's some great looking games on the system, Sin and Punishment for me is for me is technically incredible and still holds up, but the majority really have aged worse than a lot of PS1 games. There's just a smudgy dirty look to a lot of the games. Compare Crash Bandicoot to say Banjo Kazooie, Banjo is a much more technically advanced games but it doesn't look great whereas Crash might be a mediocre game but it looks so much cleaner and better. On the other hand Mario 64 I feel still looks great, it uses the N64 architecture well to give an almost CGI rendered quality to the visuals.

Yeah, auto aim was needed because the c-buttons were digital and just didn’t give you great precision. Playing it with a modern controller really highlights how bad it is! Thankfully it can be turned off though.

And yes, N64 games generally age terribly. They were mostly 320x240 natively with relatively low quality textures due to cartridge constraints. Trying to play these on a modern TV in HD they can look a horrible mess. There are exceptions of course, but the overly blurry textures coupled with the unique controller make it a difficult system to go back and enjoy now.

• Advertisement

I think aiming with the stick is fine it's just that until halo introduced subtle aiming and tracking aiming in any fps game was frustrating as hell on console and goldeneye suffers from that.

I don't get the hate for the n64 controller. People loved it when the n64 was around and slowly there's a revisionist history that it was an awful controller from people that grew up with dual analogue. I mean it's not the best for fps and tps but for the vast majority of n64 games it was perfect and comfortable. The biggest issue was the joysticks would wear out very quickly so you would need to buy a new pad every year nearly.

It actually isnt cartridge space, it's the texture memory that limited the texture resolution. Textures couldn't be more than 32x32 pixels. N64 carts were plenty big and could fit most games on them, they just had to cut back on video and voice.

N64 games look an awful lot better when run on a crt. I'm running n64 games on RetroArch with a gorgeous crt filter and they look a lot better. When you play them on a flat panel or an emulator upscaled they look horrendous.

I think a lot of the issues with how old games look is because they aren't running on a crt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jet Force Gemeni was a very solid N64 game from Rare would love it to be added at some point to the Online Sub. I put hundreds of hours into it back in the day.

Well speaking of bad n64 controls that is a game with terrible controls. They are hard to learn on a N64 controller but do work once you get it. They are just impossible to translate to a modern controller. The rare replay collection had to totally change them to make it playable.

I actually loved the controller back when I had one, just think trying to play emulated n64 games isn’t a great experience without one of them(and how terrible they can look stretched on modern displays).

The dream, if I ever get a chance to have a decent retro setup is to get a Sony PVM-14M2U.

16-bit games upward look pin sharp. But they can be pricey.

Honestly a good PC emulator with a crt filter is a great alternative. It's what I use. I have some screenshots of my filters in the screenshots thread. Really makes games look a lot more authentic and allows the art to shine. I always play old games in 4:3.

As for trying to play N64 games on a modern controller, I with you there. It's why I bought a retrobit tribute 64 which is a PC USB clone of the hori n64 pad (which has a joystick like a GameCube one). It's not totally authentic but it makes a lot of games like mischief makers and sin and punishment playable as they rely on having a N64 controller.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having never owned an N64 when I was younger, I despise the N64 controller and I can't hardwire my brain to properly adapt to its clunkiness after decades of dual analogue controls being hardwired into my brain and muscle memory. I do think it was a weird time for controllers generally as everyone tried to figure out 3D, and it was more forward-thinking than Sony's launch PS1 controllers which were ill-suited for the console's primary technology. But still, it's an alien contraption in my hands and given a majority of the good N64 games are available elsewhere now it's doubtful I'll ever go back to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I know it's a remake but the gall they have charging €80 for Dead Space. TLOU doing it is even worse.

Cheeky bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

These remakes remind me of those "The Greatest Event in Television History" specials where they remake the opening credits to old shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Last of Us renewed for a second season.

The first episode is currently available for free on YouTube on the Sky Ireland channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

This should be fun if they adapt it 1:1. I’d really hate to be a Reddit moderator this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

First two episodes have been near perfect. Even the missus is glued to it. Not surprised it got renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Got an N64 + Super Mario 64 + Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time bundle for buttons new, back in the day. Think it was after playstation "won". Two incredible gaming experiences.

Can't really remember any other games in N64 to be honest. I put OOT away for months after my first attempt as it was ridiculously twee and I really didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. But then I went back, and boom. It's a game that just gets better and better as you play it.

The controller was perfect and developed with these games. They pretty much invented moving a character around effortlessly in proper 3D space. Just running around in circles and climbing trees, and somersaulting off was a revelation in Mario.

I recently played Crash Bandicoot in Uncharted 4, and I was reminded how restricted this game was in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I thought direct movie tie-ins were a thing of the past, but Amazon don't care - they're making both a series and movie to connect to the Tomb Raider game they're publishing. Sounds wholly unnecessary.

When you take into account that crash came out after Mario 64 it's pretty damning how simplistic that game and series is. It's kind of no wonder the game got poor reviews on release, and kind of rightfully so. The first game even without comparisons to Mario 64 is a very mediocre platformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Activision Blizzard exec uses The Last of Us show to prove to FTC that Sony will be fine without them. "In gaming, Sony is 'The First if Us' and doesn't need FTC protection." Yeesh

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

IGN reporting that Sony, Nintendo and Xbox won't be at E3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

She has been quite something throughout the process. It's quite hilarious the different approaches that they have to the different regulators, in the UK and EU they're all "yes sir, no sir, two bags full sir", but in the US, where half the political spectrum wants to get rid of all governance and regulation altogether, they're basically taunting them incessantly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

No real surprise there to be honest, E3 has been struggling for a reason to exist for years. Covid put paid to any recovery from the years before that, but this was always coming. The "Direct" style of showing off games is so much better than anything that you'd get from a conference, both from a user and platform perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It really is such a dumb argument. The Last Of Us is a game/franchise made for Playstation, by a Playstation first party studio, which Sony helped grow over a long period of time. By buying Acti-Blizz, Microsoft will be taking a huge number of games/franchises that have been on Playstation, away from Playstation.

I've stopped really caring if MS do buy Acti-Blizz at this point. I'm sure the acquisition will eventually go through in some shape or form. But I really wish MS instead invested more time and money in building up smaller studios to make new franchises, not just buy big studios to make existing franchises their exclusives. Hi-Fi Rush is a great example of what they could do in that regard. Give teams the resources they need to create the games they want and draw people to Xbox that way, because Hi-Fi Rush is the first game in a long, long time that has had me looking at the bank balance and seeing if maybe now's the time I get an Xbox as a secondary console. Starfield, Fallout 5, CoD etc, just don't really move the needle for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I have just avoided the whole thing, I don't need the constant reminders of how Bobby Kotick is going to become even richer.

Advertisement