Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Administrative Officer 2020 in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SeanOS92

TheRoyce wrote: »
    They're up to number 68 for clearance in batch 1.3

Thanks for the Update

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haleyoshea

Thank you and super congratulations :)

Thank you! :)

If you don't mind me asking, how long in general was it from being told that your number had been reached and that you were entering clearance, to finally being assigned to a position?

Also received my start date this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BlueAW

There's been no movement in reaching people for clearance in batch 1.3 for the past 4 days.
    I can't say how I know but this is likely to continue for some time now.

Is this for all streams?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HolyRomanMemes

When do you start? I'm right behind you cause i've finished Garda E vetting and am awaiting clearance to end sometime early this week. How much time lag do you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 grahambob

Does anyone have any idea how long the panels stay open?

Unless of course, I'm wrong and someone at number 70 or above has been contacted for clearance?
    Please let us know.

I’m number 70 in general and I got contacted in the last hour that they reached my number and I was being brought forward for clearance. So it seems to be still moving

grahambob wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea how long the panels stay open?

AO panels usually end when the new competition starts. So usually around October/Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pooling928

Does anybody have an update on the OOM for the Health stream?

When do you start? I'm right behind you cause i've finished Garda E vetting and am awaiting clearance to end sometime early this week. How much time lag do you expect?
    I start July 5th :) the day after clearance finished I was appointed to a position and then the following day I was given a start date :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 12user34

Any update on what number OOM they’re on for general batch 1.3?

Hi there

I applied for Accountant in the AO Revenue 2021 closing date the 3rd June 2021. Had the automatic email to say they have received it but nothing else. How long does it take from closing date to letting you know you are moving onto the next stage? Has anyone heard anything that applied for the competition on the 3/6/2021. Thanks!

Hi there

I applied for Accountant in the AO Revenue 2021 closing date the 3rd June 2021. Had the automatic email to say they have received it but nothing else. How long does it take from closing date to letting you know you are moving onto the next stage? Has anyone heard anything that applied for the competition on the 3/6/2021. Thanks!

Does anyone know how long clearance takes if you don’t have to do Garda Vetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Madra Maith

SeanOS92 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long clearance takes if you don’t have to do Garda Vetting?

Took just under 4 weeks for me. No follow on from the clearance mail just a message in Public Jobs telling me where I have been assigned and HR contacted me the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JackieOnassis

Can anyone remember how long their presentation/interview was in total? Also did ye get any curveball questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

Can anyone remember how long their presentation/interview was in total? Also did ye get any curveball questions?

10 minutes or so for the presentation, and around 40 minutes for the interview, so in total just about an hour.
    Nothing out of the ordinary, know your examples really well, and try your best to hit the competencies laid out on the framework and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JackieOnassis

FenFlynn wrote: »
    10 minutes or so for the presentation, and around 40 minutes for the interview, so in total just about an hour.
    Nothing out of the ordinary, know your examples really well, and try your best to hit the competencies laid out on the framework and you'll be fine.

Brilliant, thanks a million!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anyone else have interviews next week?
    Seems like they're into the top 350 at this stage.
    Also- are they strict with the 10 mins for the presentation- and are people using Powerpoint and other tools- or going straight from their own notes?
    Just very slightly terrified.

Anyone else have interviews next week?
    Seems like they're into the top 350 at this stage.
    Also- are they strict with the 10 mins for the presentation- and are people using Powerpoint and other tools- or going straight from their own notes?
    Just very slightly terrified.

I had made a Power point presentation and had a print out handy to refer to. I highly recommend that, it gives you a structure of how you want to approach it and visually helped the interviewers follow your presentation, but each to their own. That's how I did it anyway.
    They were very strict on me to stick to 10 minutes, I had timed myself a few times so I was exactly 9 and a half minutes, and they even commented on that, so I imagine finishing before 10 minutes deadline would be much better. I vaguely remember them warning me when there was a minute to go. It's been 6 months since I did it so I could have remembered it incorrectly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thanks for that- you've given me a little food for thought.
    Don't have access to a printer- but have 2-3 days to get my act together, may see what we can rustle up.

The three topics I've been offered to choose between (which I'm not listing)- are rather broad- 10 minutes is going to be a bit of a nightmare to play with.

Thanks for that- you've given me a little food for thought.
    Don't have access to a printer- but have 2-3 days to get my act together, may see what we can rustle up.

The three topics I've been offered to choose between (which I'm not listing)- are rather broad- 10 minutes is going to be a bit of a nightmare to play with.

The research part was definitely the hardest aspect, trying to narrow down on your main focus can be quite tricky. I find the OECD reports and the Oireachtas committee publications a good source to narrow down the issues.
    For recommendations I looked abroad at successful countries for ideas and manipulated it to suit the Irish situation. Be sure to note your research sources, you’ll be asked more than likely.
    Best of luck conductor ! I’m sure you’ll be fine. You deserve to get this.
    You can pm me if you need more information, I actually did quite well for this final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 AvaSatiVaLomu

I did my interviews last week for this and got inside the top 20 OOM. My first time empaneled, which I'm happy about. There's no indication on the message but I guess that puts me in batch 1.4.

Does anyone here with experience of the process wanna hazard a rough indication on my likelihood of getting a call-up?

Do you think I oughta carry on interviewing for other permanent jobs or chill a bit and wait and see if my number gets called?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 citrusfruit7

I’m in the same boat. Any advice about this would be great.

Also, does anyone know if they’ve exhausted batch 1.3 yet? Thanks.

I emailed PAS and got told they have a single remaining candidate in the OOM for batch 1.3.

They can't guarantee anything but do indicate that "The expectation is that candidates will be reached within the 12 month lifecycle of the panel from it's inception".

I think we just need to be patient, there's 4 months left, and I understand they hire several hundred AOs annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 citrusfruit7

Thanks for the information. It sounds like they’ll get to batch 1.4 panel pretty soon then. I assume this panel will run for the next 12 months given the interviews were only a couple of weeks ago.

As I understand it, batch 1.4 (and any subsequent batches) of this panel only runs until the next competition, which will probably start in November. Between now and then, I expect (hope) there will be a fair few AOs hired - particularly as a new AP competition started recently -https://boards.ie/discussion/2058197595/new-2021-assistant-principal-in-the-civil-service/p1 - and APs are often hired from AO grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭exitstageleft

So, what do AOs wear if they've to go to the office these days? Is smart casual alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Generally, if you're not facing the public, you wear whatever you find comfortable. However, have something more business-like on standby, in case you have a short notice meeting with a Minister (it can, and does, happen)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 martinph

Hi

I was just looking for some info if possible

Has anyone heard of a administrative officer or higher executive officer becoming a executive officer

Maybe they thought the ao, heo role was not for them

I'm just thinking that there will be a pay freeze for years.

How would you explain in a interview you want to go down a level

Or would you be have no chance of getting eo

Advertisement