Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Migraine - any sufferers believe there is a link with dehydration?

• 16-09-2020 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

Up to 4 years ago, I was on a certain medication for mild epilepsy which gave me occasional severe migraines.

A change in medication stopped them entirely.

However, two years ago I had my first ocular migraine, having never had one previously. I experience no pain. But, I do have temporary loss of peripheral vision followed by flashing lights. The cycle lasts about 30 minutes. I then feel groggy and a bit flat until I have the next good night’s sleep. I usually take a Paracetamol too.

Since then, they have developed to the point where I have about one per month.

I can usually point to a perfect storm in the previous few days - too much screen time, stress, and what I now believe is a key factor - dehydration.

I had one this morning and I know that I had not been drinking enough water over the last few days of warm weather, during which I had been very physically active. (I eat really well and I’m in bed by 10. Food and sleep are not an issue for me.)

Would anyone else point to dehydration as a factor in their migraines?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A bad migraine that includes vomiting can cause dehydration and low blood sugar can cause migraines.

I think a lot does depend on the individual.

With me it was often the very low blood sugar I am prone to, so I take care not to go without food for long. And can sometimes interrupt the onset by taking sweet things. eg strong sweet coffee works FOR ME.

Assuming you can cater now that you know for your idiosyncratic onset issues? And not let your body get dehydrated

pS. My migraines have changed with advanced/ing age.

I used to get almost instant relief with Imigran nasal but it is hit and miss now. My last one went really bad; started vomiting so hard there was blood and ended up being airlifted to hospital ( I live on an offshore island)

That has happened once before years back.

The dr had come the day before but was new to me and took no heed of what I explained to her so the meds was wrong and insufficient.

Whatever form they take they need treating fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Graces7 wrote: »
    pS. My migraines have changed with advanced/ing age.

I used to get almost instant relief with Imigran nasal but it is hit and miss now. My last one went really bad; started vomiting so hard there was blood and ended up being airlifted to hospital ( I live on an offshore island)

That has happened once before years back.

The dr had come the day before but was new to me and took no heed of what I explained to her so the meds was wrong and insufficient.

Whatever form they take they need treating fast.

Have you ever had your gut health assessed?

I discovered 5 years ago that for the first 55 years of my life I shouldn’t have been eating wheat, eggs, milk lactose and soya. I wasn’t allergic to any of them, which is why it went undetected for 55 years. But, I was intolerant of all of them. I had always had psoriasis - gone now, and occasional bouts of psoriatic arthritis. This was dealt with by medication by all doctors except the one who decided to check my gut health.

When I had the immunoglobulin test, my antibodies level was 465. The healthy norm is 50-100 - in other words, your body is always dealing with something, so there will always be some antibody level. But, it should be low if your gut is healthy.

Anyway, after the IGe test, the doctor sent me for the allergy tests. He warned that they usually come back with pollen, dust mites and the like. Things you can do noting to prevent. He was amazed when those four intolerances were the result. Giving them up transformed my overall health.

In essence, your gut is your engine (lungs are fuel tanks, heart is accelerator, if you’ll pardon the analogy) and if you’re not giving it the exact fuel it likes, it won’t run properly. People like me with intolerances, as opposed to serious allergies, can carry on because the body’s system keeps fighting the intruders, when you’re young. But, as you age, this ability weakens and can eventually turn to disease.

Everyone should be sure they’re only eating and drinking exactly what they can tolerate. But, you can only know this via antibody blood tests.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Have you ever had your gut health assessed?

I discovered 5 years ago that for the first 55 years of my life I shouldn’t have been eating wheat, eggs, milk lactose and soya. I wasn’t allergic to any of them, which is why it went undetected for 55 years. But, I was intolerant of all of them. I had always had psoriasis - gone now, and occasional bouts of psoriatic arthritis. This was dealt with by medication by all doctors except the one who decided to check my gut health.

When I had the immunoglobulin test, my antibodies level was 465. The healthy norm is 50-100 - in other words, your body is always dealing with something, so there will always be some antibody level. But, it should be low if your gut is healthy.

Anyway, after the IGe test, the doctor sent me for the allergy tests. He warned that they usually come back with pollen, dust mites and the like. Things you can do noting to prevent. He was amazed when those four intolerances were the result. Giving them up transformed my overall health.

In essence, your gut is your engine (lungs are fuel tanks, heart is accelerator, if you’ll pardon the analogy) and if you’re not giving it the exact fuel it likes, it won’t run properly. People like me with intolerances, as opposed to serious allergies, can carry on because the body’s system keeps fighting the intruders, when you’re young. But, as you age, this ability weakens and can eventually turn to disease.

Everyone should be sure they’re only eating and drinking exactly what they can tolerate. But, you can only know this via antibody blood tests.

D.

I am medical card and low priority and also I have severe M.E/CFS which most GPs I know do not believe in.. Some have never even heard of it.

Apart from pain relief and emergencies I have no contact with drs any more.

I did do a full intolerance testing myself way back. With no results. The migraines are very rare. ( I am all but 80 by the way)

Very glad it works for you.. Well done.

Many of us with M.E have serious food intolerances. I did a very thorough elimination diet when I was finally correctly diagnosed after 30 years of wrong assessment. To find I had already through response and instinct eliminated the real offenders. A friend in the US had blood testing every year but it always showed different foods.

Most of us know what foods affect us if we stop to think.

My diet is very , well, many would call it very limited, and very simple now but I enjoy what I do eat and have so many other things in my life.

My main migraine trigger was always lack of food so I would wake with the wretched things. So now I eat little and often. And keep something by my bed. When my diagnosis finally came through the real reason for that emerged; the M.E causes wildly erratic blood sugar levels. One of its less endearing traits! lol..

Each to his/her own. Have a look at the Food forum here on boards ie.

But yes, keeping well hydrated is vital. And easy enough ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Lack of iron
    Take one tablet a day

It could be pollen as
    Well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Lack of iron
    Take one tablet a day

That's dangerous medical advice

Do not do that without going to a doctor and getting a blood test etc

( especially because of de Irish curse - Haemochromatosis )

Just aborted a migraine with Immigran Nasal Spray.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Is there any connection between slow development of type two diabetes and ocular migraines?

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement