Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€20k budget - Leaf or Ioniq?

• 12-09-2020 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I’m considering replacing our 2014 24kw Leaf Acenta (104k kms) with either a newer model Leaf or a Hyundai Ioniq and would welcome advice on which is preferable. Budget is about €14k plus the current Leaf, so maybe €20 to €22k?

I know the Leaf well and I suspect there’s little difference with the newer model, but is there anything of note that is different in the Ioniq?

Can I charge an Ioniq at home with the same Type 2 charge cable as the Leaf? I know the Ioniq is CCS but I think a Type 2 plug fits in the top part, correct? I have an Outlander PHEV that uses the same plug so using a different one is awkward.

Does the Ioniq have a similar feature as the Leafs navigation system where you can use Google search to find a location rather than the satnav database?

Is the 28kw Ioniq as quick as the Leaf from 0-50kph?

Boot space, which is bigger?

What’s the realistic range of the Ioniq 28kw or newer Leaf 40kw? Will either do 180km (Dublin to Waterford) on the motorway without charging along the way?

Is either likely to have any manufacturers warranty left at this stage?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Newer leaf and ioniq use type 2 cable, you have type 1. So you will need to change no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

JPA wrote: »
    Newer leaf and ioniq use type 2 cable, you have type 1. So you will need to change no matter what.

Well that’s annoying! But I think there’s a Type1 to Type 2 adapter, or did I imagine that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

JPA wrote: »

something like this might help

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DUOSIDA-Electric-Converter-Charging-IEC62196/dp/B085XSB38S/ref=psdc_303655031_t2_B085QKDTSF

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Buy an Ionik and a type1/type2 adapter and don’t look back.
    I just swapped an L24 for a v1 Ionik and the difference is unreal.
    Also don’t pay a cent more than 18k. I’ve been involved in quite a number of EV cash sales in past two month and asking prices are away with the fairies. Cash is king and it’s a buyers market.
    Also Ionik is way prettier than an L40 :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Is your home charger a 32a one? Not sure if your leaf has/had the 6.6kW onboard charger. Just double check the charge point can provide at 32a and your type 1 cable can handle 32a.

• Advertisement

Is your home charger a 32a one? Not sure if your leaf has/had the 6.6kW onboard charger. Just double check the charge point can provide at 32a and your type 1 cable can handle 32a.

Home charger is 32a with a tethered Type 1 cable. So, a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter and I can charge an Ioniq, take off the adapter and I can still charge an Outlander. The current Leaf is a 3.3kW one, but it’s never been an issue as it’s just plugged in overnight and ignored! This reminds me, does the Ioniq have a preheating function? The ability to have the car warm before driving away is essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Laviski

quenching wrote: »
    This reminds me, does the Ioniq have a preheating function? The ability to have the car warm before driving away is essential!

Careful now
    Some people on here call them gimmicks, calling them essential may make them faint
    Oh the humanity....

Home charger is 32a with a tethered Type 1 cable. So, a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter and I can charge an Ioniq, take off the adapter and I can still charge an Outlander. The current Leaf is a 3.3kW one, but it’s never been an issue as it’s just plugged in overnight and ignored! This reminds me, does the Ioniq have a preheating function? The ability to have the car warm before driving away is essential!

Yes it does. Car needs to be plugged in, and the preheat is scheduled from within the car (no app to do so).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We have a Leaf 30 and an Ioniq. No contest, Ioniq all the way.
    I presume the newer Leaf's still shed battery once one goes over 100kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Neither...eGolf is superior to both

• Advertisement

Redgirl82 wrote: »

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭adunis

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Nope Ionia all the way golf a close second,only cos it's way smaller inside and doesn't have the ioniqs range,nicer place to be in sure but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 64,545 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I’m considering replacing our 2014 24kw Leaf Acenta (104k kms) with either a newer model Leaf or a Hyundai Ioniq and would welcome advice on which is preferable. Budget is about €14k plus the current Leaf, so maybe €20 to €22k?

I know the Leaf well and I suspect there’s little difference with the newer model, but is there anything of note that is different in the Ioniq?

Can I charge an Ioniq at home with the same Type 2 charge cable as the Leaf? I know the Ioniq is CCS but I think a Type 2 plug fits in the top part, correct? I have an Outlander PHEV that uses the same plug so using a different one is awkward.

Does the Ioniq have a similar feature as the Leafs navigation system where you can use Google search to find a location rather than the satnav database?

Is the 28kw Ioniq as quick as the Leaf from 0-50kph?

Boot space, which is bigger?

What’s the realistic range of the Ioniq 28kw or newer Leaf 40kw? Will either do 180km (Dublin to Waterford) on the motorway without charging along the way?

Is either likely to have any manufacturers warranty left at this stage?

Thanks...

Many of the L40 buyers had the first generation Leaf before and from what I gather most are very happy with the newer Leaf (which is still about 80-90% the same as the older model)

You need to go take both on a long test drive (preferably 24 hours) and see what you think for yourself and how it suits you and your family

Both can do a 180km motorway stretch at the speed limit in good circumstances, but you'd be pushing it in either car on a bad day and you'd be pushing it even more in the Leaf if you drive at the motorway speed limits

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I know the Leaf well and I suspect there’s little difference with the newer model
    For the €22k you'll probably be able to stretch to a Tekna/SVE 40kWh, which will be quite different to the older Acenta. Some of the things that stick out to me (not guaranteed as I'm comparing to a 62kWh and from memory, but they're mostly the same) -
    • Heated leather seats front and back plus steering wheel
    • 360 degree cameras
    • Parking sensors front and back
    • Automatic Emergency Braking
    • ProPilot adaptive cruise control and lane self-steering
    • ProPilot automatic parking is an option so may be in some
    • AndroidAuto/AppleCarPlay
    • Single pedal driving
    • BOSE sound system
    • Heated door mirrors with blindspot warning
    • 7kWh charging with Type2 connector
    • Electronic handbrake
    • 17" wheels
    • Tinted rear windows

You'll certainly find plenty you recognise in the newer Leaf, but it's a significant refinement over the 24/30kWh versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Ok my view

If you are going for Leaf Gen 1/1.5 v Ioniq then it is no competition. The Ioniq is a superior car.

If you go up to a Leaf Gen 2 then it is better. Not just in range but exterior/space etc.

Thanks for all the answers folks, I think I'm leaning towards an Ioniq at the moment. Am I correct in saying that a 2018 Ioniq came with a 5 year warranty? Was the Leaf the same or only 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭zg3409

The Ioniq is usually relatively more expensive than equivalent leaf. Part of the reason is bells and whistles as standard such as adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, reverse camera, android auto etc. The preheating is a timer, no app.

The Ioniq also charges much quicker on 50kW chargers, you typically get 42+kW and you can head on in 20 to 30 minutes with a nearly full battery. It has forced air battery cooling and battery degradation on Ioniq is tiny compared to old leaf. Ioniq is CCS Max 70kW charge rate, leaf is Chademo with 50kW on a good day for a short time. Some areas have less CCS like NI , Chademo will have less new chargers available over time. CCS gives option of Ionity on major routes.

The Ioniq will struggle at 180km at 120km/h when outside temperature is less than 5 degrees, particularly if battery has been sitting cold all night. 160km is safe winter range at high speed, with 180/190km typical range at 120km/h. I am not sure on leaf range

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Leaf loses battery more when both cars are going over 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Zamboni wrote: »
    Buy an Ionik and a type1/type2 adapter and don’t look back.
    I just swapped an L24 for a v1 Ionik and the difference is unreal.
    Also don’t pay a cent more than 18k. I’ve been involved in quite a number of EV cash sales in past two month and asking prices are away with the fairies. Cash is king and it’s a buyers market.
    Also Ionik is way prettier than an L40 :)

It's spelled Ioniq. Surely if you drive the car you would know how it is spelled.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

adunis wrote: »
    Nope Ionia all the way golf a close second,only cos it's way smaller inside and doesn't have the ioniqs range,nicer place to be in sure but.....

What's the eGolf range compared to the Ioniq?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

neddynasty wrote: »
    What's the eGolf range compared to the Ioniq?

Range depends on how you drive it!!

i have a 2019 eGolf - 170kms winter and 250 kms summer

Handy link here for eGolf and here for Ioniq

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

AMKC wrote: »
    It's spelled Ioniq. Surely if you drive the car you would know how it is spelled.

Good spot. I was fairly hungover when I posted :)

Advertisement