Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repair rawl plug hole for radiator - with bonding coat, filler or chemical anchor

Options
  • 08-09-2020 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Here's the carnage.

AdGvNgZ.jpg

I'm trying to fix a radiator bracket so the fix needs to be good and strong.

As you can see the hole for fixing the bracket is huge as I had to drill right next to the hole to get it in the right spot. There's the same elsewhere.

I was thinking of mixing up some bonding coat and filling an empty silicone tube and pumping the mix deep into the hole and possibly compacting it with something, then pushing the rawlplug into the desired position and allowing it to fully dry for a day or use some Gyproc easifill in the same manner.

How does this sound?

Or would it be better to use something like Everbuild ANCH Anchorset Chemical Anchor with the same technique as above seeing as it's for fixing brackets for a rad?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003617Z8A/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A315ZB2AEHOGH9&psc=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Here's the carnage.

AdGvNgZ.jpg

I'm trying to fix a radiator bracket so the fix needs to be good and strong.

As you can see the hole for fixing the bracket is huge as I had to drill right next to the hole to get it in the right spot. There's the same elsewhere.

I was thinking of mixing up some bonding coat and filling an empty silicone tube and pumping the mix deep into the hole and possibly compacting it with something, then pushing the rawlplug into the desired position and allowing it to fully dry for a day or use some Gyproc easifill in the same manner.

How does this sound?

Or would it be better to use something like Everbuild ANCH Anchorset Chemical Anchor with the same technique as above seeing as it's for fixing brackets for a rad?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003617Z8A/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A315ZB2AEHOGH9&psc=1

Sounds like overkill. Just drill 2 other holes in the brackets, allowing new location for rawl plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

Lumen wrote: »

I have bonding coat and easi fill here so was hoping to use them with the technique shown here https://youtu.be/u_uG-yjzQjw?t=17 which is what I explained in the post.

I'm not sure if this ready mix stuff would be easy to fill the entire hole with a filling knife as it's much deeper than the rawl plug. That's why I was planning on piping the mix into the hole and setting the rawl plug in position.
    dodzy wrote: »
    Sounds like overkill. Just drill 2 other holes in the brackets, allowing new location for rawl plugs.

It a vertical rad and there's no space to do this on the bracket. If you think it's overkill then it'll be fine to pipe in the bonding coat and set the plug in position? This is my preferred way to tackle this if it's up to the task.

Is this a solid wall ?
    If o hammer a pointed dowel in and use a woodscrew

Is this a solid wall ?
    If o hammer a pointed dowel in and use a woodscrew

Yes, it's masonry wall. I've got that tip before but the existing holes aren't so round any more.

What's your thoughts on my approach using bonding or easifill and piping it in and locating the plug to where it needs to be?

I don't mind waiting the day for it to dry as I've plenty of other things to do in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Yes, it's masonry wall. I've got that tip before but the existing holes aren't so round any more.

Dowel won't be rounded anymore either if you wallop it in hard enough. :)
    What's your thoughts on my approach using bonding or easifill and piping it in and locating the plug to where it needs to be?

Considering the weight it will be holding, there's no particular issue with it. I've done the same in the past with a squirt of liquid nails, seat the rawlplug and let it set.

Dowel or piece of wood pared roughly to shape and hammered into the hole is the most straightforward solution though, and isn't going to budge.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Dowel son't be rounded anymore either if you wallop it in hard enough. :)

Dowel or piece of wood pared roughly to shape and hammered into the hole is the most straightforward solution though, and isn't going to budge.

Exactly,
    This is what the first men did.
    Before plastic plugs were invented.
    Get a bit of timber and split it down the grain a few times till you have a rough dowel larger than the hole but roughly as deep.
    Hammer it in nice and square and then trim off any access that might fowl your bracket.

Went with mixing up some bonding and pipped it into the hole. Only 10 minutes and no splinters :)

THaQg9S.jpg

Advertisement