Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parenting & iPads

• 07-09-2020 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I allow my son to use an iPad but I'm looking for an app that will allow him to use the iPad for a specific amount of time during the day e.g. for only 30 mins between 6pm until 7.30pm? (he could use it at 6.15pm for 15 minutes and 7pm for 15 mins). Could someone please advise if you are aware of such an app? I have tried to use Boomerang but it will only allow for a continuous 30 mins.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

GM77 wrote: »
    Hi, I allow my son to use an iPad but I'm looking for an app that will allow him to use the iPad for a specific amount of time during the day e.g. for only 30 mins between 6pm until 7.30pm? (he could use it at 6.15pm for 15 minutes and 7pm for 15 mins). Could someone please advise if you are aware of such an app? I have tried to use Boomerang but it will only allow for a continuous 30 mins.

I can't advise about the apps. But if you tell him only to go on it for 15 mins at a time, then that's all he should be doing, comeing from your order as a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Jb1989 wrote: »
    I can't advise about the apps. But if you tell him only to go on it for 15 mins at a time, then that's all he should be doing, comeing from your order as a parent.

easier said than done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭emaherx

GM77 wrote: »

It's a feature built in to IOS
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208982#:~:text=a%20child's%20device.-,Turn%20on%20Screen%20Time,is%20My%20Child's%20%5Bdevice%5D.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

I’d say you are on the wrong forum. It’s sticks and beating them around the farmyard here. What’s an iPad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I have a time limit on Facebook on my iPhone. You have the option to ignore but it does freeze out after the set time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

jntsnk wrote: »
    I’d say you are on the wrong forum. It’s sticks and beating them around the farmyard here. What’s an iPad?

Goes over your eye when you get a poke of the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

Boomerang parental control.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Is it for the online marts he wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Set up a Child apple ID and family group, you can then limit the apps and screen time for the IPad in the slots you need.

Its a pain so I ended up getting a kindle fire for kids, its great for free kids friendly apps and ease of setup for children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Hi OP.

You should try the parenting forum instead.

Take the iPod off your child when you feel they've had enough. Your child needs to understand the meaning of the word no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Put the ipad on the floor, put one leg of the chair in the middle of the screen. Now sit down, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

krissovo wrote: »
    Set up a Child apple ID and family group, you can then limit the apps and screen time for the IPad in the slots you need.

Its a pain so I ended up getting a kindle fire for kids, its great for free kids friendly apps and ease of setup for children.

I have this done with my 12yo on her phone.

When she wants to download an app I get a notification and have to approve it before she can download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭emaherx

Hi OP.

You should try the parenting forum instead.

Take the iPod off your child when you feel they've had enough. Your child needs to understand the meaning of the word no

They still learn "no means no" it's just a tool to help track time. It's easy to loose track of time spent on devices for both you and them. The times can still be overridden by the parent and the children know this, so you still have to say no.

Advertisement