Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport to stop cars picking up passengers outside terminals

• 05-09-2020 10:31am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/dublin-airport-to-stop-cars-picking-up-passengers-outside-terminals-1.4346913
    Airport operator DAA is seeking planning permission to install a new paid drop-off and pick-up zone at Dublin Airport, in an effort to reduce car journeys to and from the facility and stop private drivers picking up passengers outside terminals.

The proposed new paid drop-off and pick-up zones, which will have to be approved by Fingal County Council, will operate in front of terminal one and terminal two, and will not be introduced during the Covid-19 crisis.

Under the plans, DAA will change the internal road layout and install new lanes and barriers at the main airport exit.

Currently, private cars are permitted to drop off in front of both terminals at Dublin Airport, but no private vehicle pick up is permitted. A spokesman for DAA said the current system has been “abused” by some for years, with cars illegally stopping to wait for pick-ups or circling the campus roads several times before they collect a person.

While DAA has not decided what charges to implement in the new set down area, figures from Cork Airport, where a similar operation is in place, are worth noting. There, the first 15 minutes are free. A driver then pays €3 for 16-20 minutes, €5 for 21-30 minutes, €10 for 31-60 minutes, and €20 for 61-120 minutes. Anyone who stays beyond 121 minutes may have their car clamped or towed away.

A spokesman added that the new system will not be introduced during the pandemic, but works will take place shortly if the project receives approval from planning authorities. “It will be more efficient to complete the construction work during the current downturn in passenger numbers, as it will have significantly less disruption on the airport road network,” he said.

Additionally, a free drop-off and pick-up option will still be available at the express red long-term car park. A new reduced fee 30-minute parking period will also be introduced at Dublin Airport’s short-term car parks, beside the passenger terminals.

The new toll booths will accept toll tag, card and cash payments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Money hungry fcukers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What a load of rubbish, I always pick people up, I make sure they are outside and ready to go and stop for 1-2 mins at most. It has never seemed to cause any issues.

Its almost as daft as the Taxi ban, instead of calling Swords cabs, I now have to go queue for a taxi and get abused by the driver for a trip to Swords which is just too far for him to get back in time to keep his slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Trying their best to make travelling through airports even more enjoyable. Here's a simple solution for them, stop ripping people off in the short term car park and most of the "abuse" will magically go away .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

They’ll operate a set down area from the red car park. So that means people must share a bus to the terminal who otherwise would’ve been dropped directly outside. Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shamrocka330

Inquitus wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish, I always pick people up, I make sure they are outside and ready to go and stop for 1-2 mins at most. It has never seemed to cause any issues.

Its almost as daft as the Taxi ban, instead of calling Swords cabs, I now have to go queue for a taxi and get abused by the driver for a trip to Swords which is just too far for him to get back in time to keep his slot.

If you read the article it states that the first 15 minutes will be more than likely free (based on Cork), therefore it won’t impact you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Typical narrow minded short term myopic thinking, but nothing new there from DAA.

Would make far more sense to move the (parked) pick up taxis and limos from the departure road, and then there'd be plenty of space to allow pick ups. As always, the problem is people that are parking on the departure road because their passenger is not there to collect, limiting space available.

Would also help if they would see some sense and make the middle lane of the 3 the through lane, that would make getting in and out of spaces a lot simpler, and a lot safer, as there would then be pathway access for getting smaller children out of cars.

15 minutes free, with the chaos that's the short term parking it will take longer than that to find a space, let alone then make contact with the passenger.

Another significant help would be a rail or Luas link in to the airport, that would also reduce vehicle journeys, but they won't facilitate that any time soon.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As always, the problem is people that are parking on the departure road because their passenger is not there to collect, limiting space available.

This. A thousand times this, but instead of moving the ' Where's Gerry? Didn't he say he'd be here about half past?' types on, they will spend money on toll booths and piss organised customers off.

Another group are the 'booked' taxis who also plonk themselves outside and wait, apparently unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

If the first period is free I can not think of any negatives with this, in fact it's a huge win for people who are organised and play by the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Object to the planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Object to the planning permission

Anyone can just keep an eye on the PP section of the Fingal Co Co website.

Your objection would need to be on planning grounds not just saying you don't want to pay.

Any individual or business owner in the airport area would want to be aware of the knock on effects of this plan.

In many airports in the UK where this type of arrangement is used they have problems with drivers parking illegally/dangerously while waiting to drop in to the pick up zone and collect the passengers without paying.

Some people will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid even a €3 charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Almost every UK airport has this system, not surprised to see it mooted here. Current system totally abused, drop off areas constantly full. Will hate it but understand why it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Caranica wrote: »
    Almost every UK airport has this system, not surprised to see it mooted here. Current system totally abused, drop off areas constantly full. Will hate it but understand why it's needed.

I've never not been able to pull in somewhere in the drop down area and I've been there a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

redlead wrote: »
    I've never not been able to pull in somewhere in the drop down area and I've been there a lot

Same here, never seen any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I used to use the short term car park a lot to pick up people and I would be in and out in 15min and would pay 1.50e (i think) happily for the under 30min price . Then roughly 3 years ago they made the minimum fee 3e/1hr which ever since I've not paid a cent to the f*ckers. That was a pure ploy to get more money rather than free up the car park

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If you read the article it states that the first 15 minutes will be more than likely free (based on Cork), therefore it won’t impact you.

Shannon had had this system in place for years. I don't see the issue really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I don't see the issue really.

A lot of people would say their isn't an issue in Dublin currently.

90% are probably in and out in less than 5 minutes but we will change road layouts, install barriers and systems because of the 10%.

Even when all this is done, what prevents someone leaving before the 15 minutes, circling and coming back in? It doesn't address the actual issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Don’t you know , people stop reading when they find something that upsets them

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭MoeJay

Apart from whether the DAA have to raise revenue in other ways than flying passengers due to the belief in some quarters that the airport should be paying the airlines for providing the passengers:

1. Why they can’t run a “cell phone lot” like many airports in the USA where people can wait offsite for free until the arriving pax is ready and don’t clog up the roadways is beyond me, and

2. All this will do is increase the number of people who will park just outside the airport on the roadside doing the same thing. Happens in Aldergrove all the time...

In any case, this wasn’t really a traffic issue at all. Many more queues into and out of the airport are due to the roundabout and the traffic lights, but the plan to fix that is really on the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

At the moment it is quick and convenient to do a drop off. All of the problems stem from the DAA not providing a dedicated pick up point.

In T1, the arrivals level is all public transport. Drivers collecting are delayed while arriving passengers navigate the terminal.

In T2, the arrivals area is a confusing maze with hidden lifts behind fancy glass, a funnel system leading to esculators down for buses or taxis (very handy when you've a trolly). Option B, again hunt for more hidden lifts (all 3 are progammed to sit on the same floor when not in use, instead of sitting at different floors ready and waiting).

The problems in the article stem from poorly thought out design, and yet the DAA accuse the public and passengers of "abusing" the system. Farce.

Provide a proper pick up area and the problems wouldn't exist. People get collected from the airport, who'd have thunk it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

To be honest I’m surprised this hasn’t happened already. It has been abused massively. I think people have forgotten the huge tailbacks at the T1 drop off area last summer. It was a mess at busy times. The conditions from Fingal coco need to be strict to stop the DAA abusing it and charging a leg and an arm. As mentioned above a “cell phone lot” seen in many U.S airports would be perfect along with a dedicated pick up point. Fingal Coco also need to realise this will push the waiting cars further away into other surrounding areas.

• Advertisement

TBH, I’m thinking to walk out as far as Kealy’s any more, tell them to fetch me there. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Stansted do exactly this, remote drop off and bus, and its terrible. At least don't do this nonsense until we have DECENT public transport to the airport, ie Metrolink.

Cork have it correct, greater than 15 minutes waiting and you pay a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have used DUB for years multiple times a year, there has never been an issue with drop off for me. Pick up is normally someone parks in the short term has a coffee and we meet in arrivals.

I agree that bad planning on the arrivals area downstairs by the taxis and buses is an issue for those being picked up.

A cell phone lot would solve this issue and any issue of congestion on outer roads. Also the split road allowing only buses (who speed through that road) is a wasted resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've ever had an issue with drop off and pickups.

If there is a 15 min free period I won't be effected either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Just pay the couple of quid for parking. Don't really see the big deal with it or the objections to paying for parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Just pay the couple of quid for parking. Don't really see the big deal with it or the objections to paying for parking.

For me it's not the cost is the time. It just takes forever to park then find people, pay and exit the car park. Pickup takes like 5-15 mins.

People ring me as they get off the plane, by the time I get there they are walking out the door. Rarely am parked for more then 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭basill

cgarrad wrote: »
    If the first period is free I can not think of any negatives with this, in fact it's a huge win for people who are organised and play by the rules.

Ah. This is Ireland. How many times have you paid for the M50 by now??? It won't be free for long. The reasons to start charging from the get go will already have been devised by the DAA. Give it a few months and then the charges will be rolling in for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭LeBash

I always park at the side of the airport, ask whoever im collecting to call when they have their bags and im stopped for about 1 min.

I can see the logic in this as there is lots of people waiting there and blocking the whole place up.

Ticket system, any more than 5 mins and its 20 quid. That would stop it immediately and allow a flow of traffic. They should also extend the parking along the side of the airport to allow about 150-200 cars park and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

Inquitus wrote: »

What taxi ban?
    Any taxi is allowed to pick up at the airport.You just park in zone 18 and pick up the passenger there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭vandriver

cgarrad wrote: »
    There will be no pick up at all.It doesn't matter how organised you are.

Advertisement