Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Golfing in Wexford

  • 03-09-2020 12:09pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ Ottoman_1000


    Quick one, i'll be in Rosslear with 2 of the lads in 2 weeks time and we are looking at getting a couple of rounds in while were are there. We will most likely play Rosslear one of the days but is there any decent parkland course close by? I wouldn't be the biggest lover of link golf so don't know if I could do Rosslear 2 days in a row. Thanks.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ blue note


    I've only played one course in wexford. It was rosslare. It was great, you're in for a treat. Sorry I can't advise on anything else. My main memory of the course was that the front 9 were largely along the coast in one direction and the back 9 the other. The wind was coming from in the beach and essentially reducing my slice. I thought great, I'm hitting it nice and straight today. Then we turned back to come in and suddenly the wind was accentuating it. Then I put the driver away!

    But it was a fun course, you'll enjoy it!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ Ottoman_1000


    blue note wrote: »
    I've only played one course in wexford. It was rosslare. It was great, you're in for a treat. Sorry I can't advise on anything else. My main memory of the course was that the front 9 were largely along the coast in one direction and the back 9 the other. The wind was coming from in the beach and essentially reducing my slice. I thought great, I'm hitting it nice and straight today. Then we turned back to come in and suddenly the wind was accentuating it. Then I put the driver away!

    But it was a fun course, you'll enjoy it!

    Yes I have heard good things about Rosslear to be fair so I will be looking forward to that....wind, god the wind, its my main gripe with link golf :eek::eek:


  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ Neewollah


    I played Wexford Golf Course in Wexford town a few weeks ago. Lovely parkland course and a good challenge. In excellent condition and the greens are superb.

    Also you have Buclody with is a brilliant course but a bit of a spin is staying in Rosslare.

    Played Courtown a number of years back and off the top of my head its a nice track also.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1


    Rosslare and Wexford as so little driving is your best bet, Rosslare is nice but has a boring run along the back 9 where holes are very similar.
    FYI Rosslare also has a second course on site, a 12 hole "executive" course


  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭ stretchaq


    i would rank the courses in wexford
    1 rosslare
    2 bunclody
    3 courtown
    4/5/6 wexford/enniscorthy/st helens

    play rosslare and for handiness st helens its only beside rosslare, curtown and bunclody are both top class parklands but would be an hours drive,

    wexford is a fine course and would be 25 mins form rosslare

    all the courses listed above are decnt so you should have no problem, rosslare is fantastic at this time of year fairways can be burnt in summer but has being plenty of rain lately so will be lovely


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭ stretchaq


    slave1 wrote: »
    Rosslare and Wexford as so little driving is your best bet, Rosslare is nice but has a boring run along the back 9 where holes are very similar.
    FYI Rosslare also has a second course on site, a 12 hole "executive" course

    the 12 hole ''burrow course'' in rosslare is weak enough in fairness wouldnt be in a rush to play it


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭ brick tamland


    I was in Wexford during the summer but couldn't get out on Rosslare due to members comps the day i wanted to play. Settled for St Helens bay and loved it. Maybe not a top level Irish course but it was in good nick, in a lovely lovation. Closing few holes are really really good. Well worth a game.

    Bunclody and Courtown are also lovely tracks too, but potentially a bit of a spin from Rosslare. Ive never played Wexford.

    Also Rosslare is a fine track but its not a top level Irish links, but well worth a game.


  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭ searay


    stretchaq wrote: »
    i would rank the courses in wexford
    1 rosslare
    2 bunclody
    3 courtown
    4/5/6 wexford/enniscorthy/st helens

    play rosslare and for handiness st helens its only beside rosslare, curtown and bunclody are both top class parklands but would be an hours drive,

    wexford is a fine course and would be 25 mins form rosslare

    all the courses listed above are decnt so you should have no problem, rosslare is fantastic at this time of year fairways can be burnt in summer but has being plenty of rain lately so will be lovely


    If you haven't played Rosslare before, I think it's worth playing twice so you know where you are going the second time around.

    I heard the 12 hole isn't in great shape at the moment. With the new M11, Bunclody is only 40 minutes up the road and is an excellent course. You could easily head back to Dublin that way. I've only played it once, but thought the last 5/6 holes were class.

    2 hidden gems to play on the way there/home are Woodenbridge or Collattin. Macreddin/European Club are also good options.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ Ottoman_1000


    Loads of food for thought there, thanks for the input folks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭ Whiplash85


    I thought Courtown was a nice compact parkland course and would be worth a shout if in the area.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement