Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Superman & Lois - The CW - US Pace - (**Spoilers**)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sparko wrote: »
    I hope this lands a UK and Ireland home quickly and doesn't end up like Batwoman did and mess up the crossover.

Yeah that was a massive blunder. If Sky, E4 or Netflix were going to air it anytime soon, they would have announced it already. It will probably air here once it finishes in the US

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

pixelburp wrote: »
    Honestly, my first thought was "which one turns out to have powers?", cos that seems like the obvious arc to follow.

Haha, I'm either watching too much TV, or the CW's writing really is that hoary and cliché; apparently, this is via a chat with an actor who plays one of the sons: yup, one will have powers, the other not... :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/geekgirldiva/status/1358911699013668864

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Superman is 33 & Lana is 45 and they went to kindergarten together.

Lois is 40

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Lois is 40

It's just the actors ages, it's not like they're playing teenagers or everyone is meant to be in their 60s and given some grey hair dye like when the arrowverse were doing their future stuff.

Starts tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Looking forward to seeing this run time without ads should be about 80 minutes for the premiere

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Starts tonight.

Where?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Where?

Maybe look at the the thread title to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Thoroughly enjoyed that - I avoided all trailers and spoilers but when I saw the suit at the beginning I was like seriously that can't be it, thank god it wasn't

The kids are not annoying and there's a good story line developing

It's more Arrow style than LoT thankfully

Looking forward to the rest of the series

Incidentally always thought the Tyler/Superman character was always a bit of a joke when he appeared in the other shows but here they become a serious character and Tulloch fits right into the role with him

That was really really very good and had great heart to it.

Edit, I also think this would be better kept away from the Arrowverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Run time less than I thought it fit alot in, the origin montage was touching the villain has me intrigued.

I'll be happy if the connection to Arrowverse is limited in the beginning but a total severing wouldn't make sense. Loved the Mortal Kombat vs DC ode

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think keep it standalone too. It has its own identity.
    Great first episode (despite a few patches of dodgy acting from the boys).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I’m behind on the Arrowverse.

I haven’t see the seasons of any of the shows related the Crisis crossover and Arrow’s final season.

Without giving anything away is this new a Superman show set on an a different Earth to Supergirl? Or is it set in the future? Because the last time Clark & Lois were mentioned was that they left Earth to go to the Krypton city so Loud could be monitored during the pregnancy. Now they have two teenage sons.

Looking forward to seeing this run time without ads should be about 80 minutes for the premiere

It is 64 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I spotted a couple of early reviews for this and I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised, not a bad pilot and lots to build on, I'll catch a few more episodes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

technically its well made , the visuals are nice. Ill be back for more

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hope it's not just going to be Smallville 2. As much as I liked Smallville.

I thought they were going to go the route of
    them sharing the powers so they weren't hurt because they were touching.

So no explanation for the kid being able to throw the ball through the walls?
    They showed it then didn't bring it up, instead just assuming he was good due to his powers

CastorTroy wrote: »

They showed it then didn't bring it up, instead just assuming he was good due to his powers

the ball through the walls was Clarke as a kid if i was watching it right

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Just checked and you're right. His son broke a rope with the ball and Clark and Lois looked at each other

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Thought that was a great pilot. The reveal at the end could have some interesting consequences. It also looked more like a DC Universe show than a CW show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

I thought that was great a pilot episode, really hit the feels at points, will be watching again

I really enjoyed it.

First rate superhero action and great VFX, and the Kent family is very likeable which made the family drama just and enjoyable.
    I really was expecting Jonathon to be the one to inherit the powers. At first I thought they were setting up Jordan’s story to be having to deal with being even more “different” than he was but when the ship responded to his touch I thought maybe he different kind of abilities - Jon having strength and Jordan having advanced intellect. Still didn’t expect it to be Jon the “normal” one.

From the conversation at the power plant it is obvious that the Big Bad is from an alternate Earth so this Superman is part of the Arrowverse but not from the Supergirl Earth. It would be nice in Kara does exist here too and shows up occasionally. The identity of the Big Bad was a fun surprise.

And unlike Supergirl or The Flash, the heroic and the private life are connected but separate and not mashed together m.

Some nice little touches -
    Lana’s comment on how Clark doesn’t age, the teenagers look like teenagers and using Shanghai in the fight instead of a US city.

I’m really looking forward to seeing more and I hope this goes to Netflix or Prime here and not Sky.

It doesn’t have a U.K. broadcaster yet so fingers crossed it goes to streaming.

Lois is 40

Superman ages very slowly.

The actor is 33. The character is in his 40s.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Clarke broke the wall. I thought it was a toy spaceship, not a ball.

Jonathon did cut a rope by throwing a football. Since he has no powers I assume that what he did is possible in real life if one is sufficiently skilled at football?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I haven't really followed a CW show since Smallville, although I have tuned in and caught big episodes and scenes here and there.

I know there are fans here so no offence meant to anyone but I just found the general writing and tone of them too cringey at times. This show is a very different animal; watched the premiere with low expectations and ended up loving it. I haven't been as totally behind Hoechlin as Cavill/Routh/etc until now, I felt he did a fantastic job here in selling Superman/Clark's earnestness and good nature. On a production note, the show looks fantastic and on a par with some recent superhero movies. I like how they've clearly pulled elements (the good ones and not the bad ones) from many different Superman properties - the original Reeve films,the original comics, Superman Returns, MOS, and more - and melded them together into something which really comes across as the kind of Superman we want to see on screen.

I haven't really followed a CW show since Smallville, although I have tuned in and caught big episodes and scenes here and there.

I know there are fans here so no offence meant to anyone but I just found the general writing and tone of them too cringey at times. This show is a very different animal; watched the premiere with low expectations and ended up loving it. I haven't been as totally behind Hoechlin as Cavill/Routh/etc until now, I felt he did a fantastic job here in selling Superman/Clark's earnestness and good nature. On a production note, the show looks fantastic and on a par with some recent superhero movies. I like how they've clearly pulled elements (the good ones and not the bad ones) from many different Superman properties - the original Reeve films,the original comics, Superman Returns, MOS, and more - and melded them together into something which really comes across as the kind of Superman we want to see on screen.

I’m a fan of the original three Arrowverse shows and I don’t see how your opinion can be view as offensive.

Flash and Supergirl are burden with many problems (most of which can be easily fixed).

I agree with your review of the new show. I’m looking forward to more.

they learned from their Bat Woman hot mess? it seems odd that the same company could be almost bipolar when it comes to how they produce shows in the same genre.

I just saw there that Tyler Hoechlin played Tom Hanks son in Road to Perdition

I just saw there that Tyler Hoechlin played Tom Hanks son in Road to Perdition

I wish I hadn’t seen this post.

Now it will bug me whether it it would have bugged me that I recognise him but can’t place him. :p

• Advertisement

I knew him from the Teen Wolf series.

I think he's great in the Superman/Clark role from what I've seen

Advertisement