Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electrical Heating

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ah ya but controls wouldn't explain that differential

I'd say a lot of it is market forces

• Registered Users Posts: 33 zkaro

I recently moved to a 3br apartment in Dublin (and actually to Ireland). This apartment is in the new building. It has electric heating (boiler, radiators, air pump) and was marked as BER A2. I see that just heating an apartment to 20C is consuming 35 kWh per day. Air pump shows consumption of ~5 kWh daily. If I use boost/immersion for heating water, daily consumption would easily go close to 50 kWh.

To me these numbers look way too high. 40kWh per day would mean ~600 e/months for heating and electricity.

2 of the bedrooms have 2-3 degrees lower temperature than the rest of the apartment. There is no draught anywhere, but it feels that some insulation is missing in these rooms.

Am I missing something?

I tried to contact the landlord, but he hasn't replied yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi zkaro, your post is a bit confusiong. Let me try to explain:

Heat pumps are not considered “electric heating” as electric heating simply by passing a current through a resistive heating element. These are very expensive systems to run.

A heat pump uses a refrigerant and a compressor. It heats or cools water when the refrigerant changes state from a liquid to a gas or from a gas to a liquid, so essentially works like a fridge. This heated or cooled water is pumped around to radiators and / or to an underfloor heating system of pipes. I can also provide domestic hot water to taps. In an A2 rated home they provide a very cost effective heating solution.

You say you have a boiler, but this should not be the case as you have an air source heat pump. You also say you have electric radiators which again should not be the case. Can you check?

I would have thought that you would not need to use the immersion of the heat pump is working properly. Is the water not hot enough when using the heat pump only?

If the heat pump is using 5 units a day that should cost you about €1 per day including VAT. How did you establish this?

If the heat pump is consuming 5 units then this should be the entire cost of heating the apartment. That is what a heat pump is supposed to do.

So something else is using the other 45 units. This is far too high and needs to be addressed.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to be more clear.

There is cold water and electricity coming to the apartment from outside.

There is electric boiler, that heat water for use (shower, tap) and for heating (radiators). There is heatpump, that supposed to convert some heat to water from the air before blowing it out of the apartment.

Boiler tank is enough to have shower for 3 ppl, but not enough to fill full bath of hot water. Boiler target set to 48C, not sure if it is correct value. Sometimes it have temperature of 41C, sometimes 49C, but most of the time is ~45C.

This looks identical to what is in my apartment: jouleuk.co.uk/victorum-exhaust-air-heat-pump-pre-plumb-system

I'm not sure what is the "unit", but all values are in kWh in the heating UIs. My understanding that Pinergy should charge ~0.5 euro per 1 kWh. I'm getting consumption values from the Pinergy app (I have to enter their meter number). I don't have access to MPRN, as it is somewhere outside of the apartment, and probably landlord have access to it. Here is example of the values for a day from the app:

Funny thing: when I tried to contact maintenance company number specified in the contract, they said that they don't serve my address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

mdon’tmknow if hybrid heating systems are common in Ireland, but there must be a fair number of them around. You can have a heat pump that heats and air conditions the house up to a certain degree, and in really cold weather, an electric boiler kicks in, and in very cold weather, say, -15C and below, an oil furnace kicks in for a lower heating bill. This is what I have in Canada, and radiant floors in my solarium and newly built garage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A "unit" of electricity = 1 kilowatt hour (kWh), it costs around €0.20 (far higher prices may apply if you use a prepaid service).

You are charged per unit by your electricity provider.

Edit: I see that this is what you have:

This should be a very cost effective solution. It looks like a modern heat pump with a heat recovery forced ventilation system. It should be far cheaper to heat a well insulated home than a conventional gas boiler.

Post edited by 2011 on

I made some enquires about photovoltaic over the last few weeks and got a couple of very hard sales pitch about replacing my gas heating with infrared panels running in On PV and full rate electricity, which seems not very feasible.

They were strongly against heat pumps and dismissed all my arguments about how heat pumps actually work. He wouldn’t accept that for x kWh in you’re getting several times x kWh out with a heat pump vs just x kWh in x kWh out with radiant panels.

I then got a pitch about how IR was heating surfaces and not air, which it is, but … you need to heat the air unless you are planning to permanently stand under an IR heater.

There needs to be some better clarity on this stuff as we are getting into the old days of hard pitch double glazing sales stuff and it will damage the rollout of green energy.

Need an advice.

Here is the map of the apartment: rooms and doors. It have two zones for heating. If both zones are set to 20 C, here is the temperature when all doors are closed.

With all doors open, cold rooms become ~17C.

Question: what i could set for these zones, to have doors open, and 20-21C in each bedroom and living room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roy5468112121

That seems like a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 30 finnyob

A few things to check or consider

1. Are all rad valves fully open for flow/input? If you have TRVs (likely) they may be limiting the temp in a given room. FYI TRVs are a bit pointless when you use thermostats to control heating. Leave them at 5.

2. Are the rads and rad panels all heating up to approx the temperature set on the boiler? Rads not fully heating would indicate the rad may need to be bled.. or possibly the system is not well balanced (lockshield valves may need to be balanced).

3. Is the zone 2 thermostat in an appropriate location, ie not in close proximity to a heat source nor getting direct sunlight? The stat controls when the heating for that zone is on/off, once the stat is up to temp, heating stops. Could be that the stat is in the hottest room or room that heats fastest. Consider turning the rad valve down in that room if the room heats too quickly for the colder rooms to catch up

• Advertisement
Advertisement