Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The other game this weekend - Does anyone even care Ulster v Connacht Build Up thre

123457»

Comments

Yeah, Ulster were a bit half-hearted at times. Couple of players showed up, but there was a malaise there, maybe those substitutions at half time weren't tactical..

I thought Ulster were poor, this is pretty scathing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Enjoyable affair. Just watched it on delay. Connacht came to play. Could have suffered a lot more under another referee for how they went about their attacking rucks but they looked very energetic and slick in the first half.

Hurt a little bit to see Aungier get the last try. I believed he was an international in the making.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Buer wrote: »
    Enjoyable affair. Just watched it on delay. Connacht came to play. Could have suffered a lot more under another referee for how they went about their attacking rucks but they looked very energetic and slick in the first half.

Hurt a little bit to see Aungier get the last try. I believed he was an international in the making.

Still is

Still is

I knew I'd get one of ya to bite!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I knew I'd get one of ya to bite!

Is that an admission of trolling? :P

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on a team of the weekend from the two games? Think Connacht would have a good few in it - Heff, Dillane, Butler, Marmion, Aki and Porch anyway.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is that an admission of trolling? :P

I'll say what I suspect John Muldoon said more than once....

Give me the card and be done with it!

I'll say what I suspect John Muldoon said more than once....

Give me the card and be done with it!

He didn't always deserve it though! :D

Any thoughts on a team of the weekend from the two games? Think Connacht would have a good few in it - Heff, Dillane, Butler, Marmion, Aki and Porch anyway.

Healy
    Heffernan
    Porter
    Baird / Dillane
    Treadwell
    Doris / Timony
    Butler / VDF
    Stander
    Marmion
    Sexton
    Earls
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Conway
    Porch

Where I struggled between players I put both with preference first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Healy Heffernan Porter Dillane Baird Butler Stander Boyle
    Marmion Carty Earls Aki Ringrose porch daly

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    True to a point, but fixing the dumb penalties swings the cheaply turned over possession and territory significantly. The defence were also dogged inside the 22 and winning the contact much more than we've seen previously which is encouraging.

I was very impressed with the defence especially today. Consistently brought pressure, met Ulster on the gainline and made a lot of dominant tackles. Organisation and communication was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I was very impressed with the defence especially today. Consistently brought pressure, met Ulster on the gainline and made a lot of dominant tackles. Organisation and communication was very good.

Didn't get to watch it earlier so re-watching the game after downloading it. Can't agree more, Ulster had a lot of time in the redzone, but were held out in plenty of scoring situations.

After just getting to the Aki score, the same cannot be said for Ulster. Three men and not a single one went low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Venjur wrote: »
    Healy
    Heffernan
    Porter
    Baird / Dillane
    Treadwell
    Doris / Timony
    Butler / VDF
    Stander
    Marmion
    Sexton
    Earls
    Aki
    Ringrose
    Conway
    Porch

Where I struggled between players I put both with preference first.

Hard to pick anyone else there.
    I loved seeing Henshaw's little kick through for the try.
    Bundi just bigger than Madigan for his try.
    Same for Earls. Dont think we've ever said that!

Those are the type of kicks Ireland are crying out for.

Try of the weekend - Marmion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Didnt twig that Marmion played the full 80.
    Impressive fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

The back 3 were excellent.

Special shoutout to connachta's success with bulking up Murray in the downtime.

:D
    Great to have an extra solution there, he was very good

Bazzo wrote: »
    True to a point, but fixing the dumb penalties swings the cheaply turned over possession and territory significantly. The defence were also dogged inside the 22 and winning the contact much more than we've seen previously which is encouraging.

Yeah it's been a long time I've seen Connacht missing so few tacles
    Stats confirmed it, 93% success rate.
    Ulster were ill at ease also because our defense was great (thought we don't trust the wingers for one-to-one, it's obvious our line roll back a lot to protect them out wide)
    The forwards put so many dominant tackles, being 45 kg lighter is yet to be noticed in the packs confrontation.
    Dillane and Boyle may be "surprise picks" for Andy with Ireland
    Butler faces too much competition for 7 but deserves praises of course

I'm really surprised how good we were.
    Gosh Sullivan, Aungier, Duggan never played pro and didn't look out of place at all!
    Porsh unexpectedly lined up as FB went incredibly well!

What a pleasant game, was worth a 5-month wait ;)
    Only regret is missing Papali'i vs. Coetzee contact. Without crowd, we would have heard the choc in Connacht and in Ulster
    Could happen next vs. CJ !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,604 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

connachta wrote: »
    I'm really surprised how good we were.
    Gosh Sullivan, Aungier, Duggan never played pro and didn't look out of place at all!
    Porsh unexpectedly lined up as FB went incredibly well!

What a pleasant game, was worth a 5-month wait ;)
    Only regret is missing Papali'i vs. Coetzee contact. Without crowd, we would have heard the choc in Connacht and in Ulster
    Could happen next vs. CJ !

Aungier had 5 appearances for Leinster, wasn't his first time playing pro. Just FYI.

Aungier had 5 appearances for Leinster, wasn't his first time playing pro. Just FYI.

Yeah I knew.
    My bad
    Still a very good appearence, scrum held, 1 try

Advertisement