Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Covid19 in the winter months

  • 16-08-2020 10:52pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ CB19Kevo


    Its been on my mind that whilst summer has made all this a little easier we are facing a challenging time ahead. My main concerns really are.

    - Mental health and isolation as we move towards the darker winter months.
    - Increased spread of the virus.
    - Pressure on healthcare systems by the regular winter increase in demand.

    Out of all these i would hope we will not see a surge in depression / suicide and increased alcohol and drug use.

    I suppose its only become very clear to me in the last 2 months or so that this will be an extended issue.

    I wonder is there any methods Gov / local communities could look at to counter the damage..


«1

Comments

  • Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Staycation etc are likely a contributory factor to current nationwide spread..... Winter will knock that on the head.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    Augeo wrote: »
    Staycation etc are likely a contributory factor to current nationwide spread..... Winter will knock that on the head.

    The staycation grant only starts in October to encourage us to travel around in winter:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭ otnomart


    I am in the optimists camp about the Winter, mainly because the weather is naturally conducive to staying at home - versus congregating in crowded places.

    Agree with OP that there should be a focus on mental health.
    Governements should fund helplines and online therapy sessions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,599 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    Mental health services already struggling, this could be a very bad winter for the sector


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,773 ✭✭✭✭ Annasopra


    CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Its been on my mind that whilst summer has made all this a little easier we are facing a challenging time ahead. My main concerns really are.

    - Mental health and isolation as we move towards the darker winter months.
    - Increased spread of the virus.
    - Pressure on healthcare systems by the regular winter increase in demand.

    Out of all these i would hope we will not see a surge in depression / suicide and increased alcohol and drug use.

    I suppose its only become very clear to me in the last 2 months or so that this will be an extended issue.

    I wonder is there any methods Gov / local communities could look at to counter the damage..

    Its also season - the interaction of Covid 19 and flu may be catastrophic

    Apparently a "normal" woman is a busty blonde sexy page 3 model who wears make-up, short skirts and red lipsticks and has pouty lips.  Who knew. 👀😏

    ******

    "Heterosexuality is not normal, it's just common"



  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭ hmmm


    We need a massive push to get people to take the flu vaccine this year. A combination of Covid and Flu will be very dangerous for the health service, and I personally wouldn't like to get both at the same time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    We're only going to get a flu season if we import it just like Covid

    Rapid testing at points of entry into the country is the only show in town Yale University is close to releasing a covid spit test with a 3hr turn around, it's going to be open source and available to all. We need these checks at airports and at the same time a rapid test for the flu.
    We can avoid both these problems without any vaccines, we need to prepare for it now and be ready with the rapid testing.

    My sources

    Flu in the Southern Hemisphere has 'practically disappeared.'
    https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/07/24/coronavirus-restrictions


    Quick and affordable saliva-based COVID-19 test developed by Yale scientists receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization
    https://news.yale.edu/2020/08/15/yales-rapid-covid-19-saliva-test-receives-fda-emergency-use-authorization


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭ hmmm


    We can avoid both these problems without any vaccines, we need to prepare for it now and be ready with the rapid testing.
    I'm not going to get into an argument with an anti-vaxer, other than to say that one of the simplest and most helpful things to reduce the strain on the health service any of us can do over the coming months is to get the flu vaccine.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭ Seamai


    hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not going to get into an argument with an anti-vaxer, other than to say that one of the simplest and most helpful things to reduce the strain on the health service any of us can do over the coming months is to get the flu vaccine.

    + 100


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not going to get into an argument with an anti-vaxer, other than to say that one of the simplest and most helpful things to reduce the strain on the health service any of us can do over the coming months is to get the flu vaccine.

    I'm not an antivaxxer I'm an anti mandatory masker, get your facts straight.
    You don't need a flu vaccine if you don't import it, what part of that does not compute. If we're importing the Flu were importing Covid it's that simple.
    A Vaccine is not the only way to get a handle on things, you need to start looking at alternatives as there may never be a vaccine.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,599 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    I'm not an antivaxxer I'm an anti mandatory masker, get your facts straight.
    You don't need a flu vaccine if you don't import it, what part of that does not compute. If we're importing the Flu were importing Covid it's that simple.
    A Vaccine is not the only way to get a handle on things, you need to start looking at alternatives as there may never be a vaccine.

    what are the chances of shutting down our borders?


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what are the chances of shutting down our borders?

    Who said shut down our borders, were talking a 3/4hr travel delay, Rapid cheap testing is a game changer in the fight against Covid.


  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭ aido79


    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what are the chances of shutting down our borders?

    Zero...and the sooner people get their heads around this the better. We need to think long term not just close the border for a few weeks and hope it goes away.


  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭ aido79


    Who said shut down our borders, were talking a 3/4hr travel delay, Rapid cheap testing is a game changer in the fight against Covid.

    I agree with this. Future lockdowns could also be avoided rapid testing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭ Oranage2


    I suggest buying a good jacket because it's going to be a long cold winter in lockdown


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    aido79 wrote: »
    I agree with this. Future lockdowns could also be avoided rapid testing.

    Rapid testing solves a lot of problems. We haven't had a reliable one yet but this Yale one sounds promising.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,773 ✭✭✭✭ Annasopra


    I'm not an antivaxxer I'm an anti mandatory masker, get your facts straight.
    You don't need a flu vaccine if you don't import it, what part of that does not compute. If we're importing the Flu were importing Covid it's that simple.
    A Vaccine is not the only way to get a handle on things, you need to start looking at alternatives as there may never be a vaccine.

    What evidence have you the flu is only transmitted through travel?

    Apparently a "normal" woman is a busty blonde sexy page 3 model who wears make-up, short skirts and red lipsticks and has pouty lips.  Who knew. 👀😏

    ******

    "Heterosexuality is not normal, it's just common"



  • Registered Users Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭ The J Stands for Jay


    Who said shut down our borders, were talking a 3/4hr travel delay, Rapid cheap testing is a game changer in the fight against Covid.

    Good luck stopping traffic for 3/4 hours on the N1 and the hundreds of other border crossings.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    McGaggs wrote: »
    Good luck stopping traffic for 3/4 hours on the N1 and the hundreds of other border crossings.

    We don't have an alternative, it's better than 14 days quarantine.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭ landofthetree


    The perfect temperature to spread a virus is around 4 degrees. The temperature in the meat plants. :( Also a typical Irish winters day.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    What evidence have you the flu is only transmitted through travel?

    You thanked that blatant lie of a post, go do your own research.


  • Registered Users Posts: 68,333 ✭✭✭✭ seamus


    otnomart wrote: »
    I am in the optimists camp about the Winter, mainly because the weather is naturally conducive to staying at home - versus congregating in crowded places.
    My main concern in this regard is that playdates in the park, become playdates in someone's house.

    A few drinks in the back garden on a nice evening, become a few drinks in the kitchen cos it's too cold outside.

    In the more general sense I do think that we will see considerably less circulating of all illnesses this year. But I'd also be concerned that because lots of people will see no impact from their socialising over the summer, that they'll think that the same kind of socialising will be fine (just indoors instead) over the winter.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,773 ✭✭✭✭ Annasopra


    You thanked that blatant lie of a post, go do your own research.

    So none. Plus a weird obsession with thanking.

    Apparently a "normal" woman is a busty blonde sexy page 3 model who wears make-up, short skirts and red lipsticks and has pouty lips.  Who knew. 👀😏

    ******

    "Heterosexuality is not normal, it's just common"



  • Registered Users Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭ The J Stands for Jay


    We don't have an alternative, it's better than 14 days quarantine.

    How are you going to man these 300 border crossing points with experts and facilities to process the tests? Will there be any left over for the ports and airports?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭ kowloonkev


    What evidence have you the flu is only transmitted through travel?

    How would it be transmitted without any travel?

    I would have thought that anybody with two brain cells to rub together could come to the conclusion that people carry the virus around and spread it through travelling about, but apparently not.

    Do you also require evidence that we s**t through our ar*eh*les?


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    McGaggs wrote: »
    How are you going to man these 300 border crossing points with experts and facilities to process the tests? Will there be any left over for the ports and airports?

    Sure keep importing the Covid and Flu, great plan. A logical thinking person might try and see can we get the North on board with rapid testing when it arrives rather than give up at the first hurdle.
    I don't get the impression that most of the posters here don't realise how beneficial rapid cheap testing is in the fight.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    Oranage2 wrote: »
    I suggest buying a good jacket because it's going to be a long cold winter in lockdown

    You need a goggle jacket this winter..handy for nipping in for a liter of milk.

    c-p-company-mens-nyber-blue-riviera-special-dyed-goggle-jacket-p37207-182684_image.jpg

    https://www.cpcompany.co.uk/collections/goggle-jackets#s-2


  • Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Who said shut down our borders, were talking a 3/4hr travel delay, Rapid cheap testing is a game changer in the fight against Covid.
    McGaggs wrote: »
    Good luck stopping traffic for 3/4 hours on the N1 and the hundreds of other border crossings.
    We don't have an alternative, it's better than 14 days quarantine.

    There are hundreds of routes from NI to the ROI, there'll be no border testing done there, guaranteed.

    Loads of alternatives, all non essential retails outlets to be closed would be a start. Shop online for everything but food & groceries. Restaurants also, restaurants and retail are bringing people from miles apart together.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭ otnomart


    seamus wrote: »
    My main concern in this regard is that playdates in the park, become playdates in someone's house.

    A few drinks in the back garden on a nice evening, become a few drinks in the kitchen cos it's too cold outside.


    I absolutely see your point.


    Of course I very much dread the thought of some having massive house parties.


    However, in practical terms, most families already socialise in a small bubble, people front rooms are not massive, so if each family sticks to their own small bubble, the risks (to them, to their bubble and to their community) will be minimised.
    Or so I hope.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,467 ✭✭✭✭ drunkmonkey


    Augeo wrote: »
    There are hundreds of routes from NI to the ROI, there'll be no border testing done there, guaranteed.

    Loads of alternatives, all non essential retails outlets to be closed would be a start. Shop online for everything but food & groceries. Restaurants also, restaurants and retail are bringing people from miles apart together.

    Northern Ireland border with us doesn't require testing if NI has rapid testing at their sea and airports. They will agree to this if there is cheap and quick way of getting people safely into the country.

    I'm not to keen on your alternative of nuking the High street and any bit of normality we have left.


Advertisement