Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid Division in society

Options
  • 16-08-2020 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭

From what I can see the world seams divided, between those that believe this is a horrific pandemic and every precaution (strict lockdown strategy /mandatory mask wearing / school closures etc. ) must be taken to eradicate the virus (the NZ / China approach) and

those that believe ther has been a total over-reaction to a virus that is fatal to 0.3 of popultaion, and lockdowns should not happen, just safeguard the vulnerable and life should continue as normal (Sweden approach) - and people should be encouraged to live and behave respectfully .

Using boards as sample I would be interested to see what the breakdown is.

Opinion on Covid 28 votes

Very concerned and need to eradicate virus by any means
    78% 22 votes
    Ther has been an over-reation - (No more lockdowns)
    7% 2 votes
    Somwhere in middle
    14% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm hesitant to vote as I think there's not enough clarity in the poll options, or the intro text.

For example, Sweden didn't go into a lockdown comparable with Ireland but nor did they continue 'as normal'.
    At one point high schools and universities were shut. There's strictly enforced social distancing in pubs and restaurants.

Where does Ireland's stance fall - are we 'somewhere in the middle'? I don't think we are aiming for virus eradication and I don't think such a strategy is possible for us in the way it might be for NZ as we share a land border and are an EU member state.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I don't think boards is an accurate representation of the population at large.

Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'm hesitant to vote as I think there's not enough clarity in the poll options, or the intro text.

For example, Sweden didn't go into a lockdown comparable with Ireland but nor did they continue 'as normal'.
    At one point high schools and universities were shut. There's strictly enforced social distancing in pubs and restaurants.

Where does Ireland's stance fall - are we 'somewhere in the middle'? I don't think we are aiming for virus eradication and I don't think such a strategy is possible for us in the way it might be for NZ as we share a land border and are an EU member state.

Sorry is if it is not expained too clearly -

Hard to word correctly but basically , a poll to see who believes ther has been an over-reaction to Covid (over past 6 months) against
    those that believe the reaction is correct as directed by WHO , HSE etc -

its actually hard to word correctly , hope this clarifies a little.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please read the main Covid-19 and Relaxation of Restrictions threads where you will find both positions debated very extensively

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement