Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuprol Case, Pick n Pluck, Full Dip Plastic coating - DIY

• 10-08-2020 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased an XL Nuprol hard case for my rifle.

I had narrowed my choice down to this or a Peli case, but the Peli Case was 3x the price.

The Peli case is a better case (although heavier), but since my case is just for transport from the Safe to the Truck, I went for the Nuprol.
    I have a larger Peli case - which has finer pick n pluck foam.

Were I flying with my rifle, I'd be using a Peli.

I laid out my components and used toothpicks to outline the foam I was going to remove.

Theres a seconfd layer beneath the top which can also be plucked (where I keep the Blaser Screwdriver etc).

Anyway, the Pick and Pluck Foam is nice, but once plucked out, its rather weak and subject to tearing off as you repeatedly load and unload the case.

Looking online I saw videos of people using Plasti-Dip spray to seal the Pick n Pluck.

I couldnt fnd Plasti-Dip here, but did find a company in Dublin selling Full-Dip which appears to be the same. (https://www.fulldip.ie/)

Below are pictures taken of what I did. In the end, 2x 400ml cans of Gun Metal Full Dip allowed for 10 sprayed on coats of the top surface of the foam.

I also tested in advance - the sacrificial piece shows the difference between the foam after just 3 coats.

I waited 10 to 20 mins between coats for the first 5 coats, then longer for subsequent coats. Coat 10 was 24 hours after coat 9.

I think I could have done a smoother job, but I'm happy with how the foam has been sealed.
    I'll see how it bears up to long term use of this next season.

One caution - the Full Dip has a very strong sweet aroma - I didnt like it - so use outside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Follow on Pics:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Follow on Pics:

Looks very well, where did you source the case?

It was £109 on Amazon.

I would have preferred black, but only the Tan was available.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nice work PKiernan.

I'm not familiar with the plastic dip. I presume it dries hard or is there any residue?

Had to read the post twice about the pluck and pick. Was wondering why it was so square until i realised what pluck and pick was. :o:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

GolfVI wrote: »
    Looks very well, where did you source the case?
    It was £109 on Amazon.

I would have preferred black, but only the Tan was available.

Did any of ye try Airsoft shops? The one in Ballymount have the XL case, in black for €125.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Nice work PKiernan.

I'm not familiar with the plastic dip. I presume it dries hard or is there any residue?

Had to read the post twice about the pluck and pick. Was wondering why it was so square until i realised what pluck and pick was. :o:D

its like the Minecraft of custom foam!

The Full Dip dried semi rigid. Holds the foam together, but allows some flex.

Cass wrote: »
    Did any of ye try Airsoft shops? The one in Ballymount have the XL case, in black for €125.

Never though of Airsoft to be honest.
    Would have preferred to buy from an Irish supplier too. :-(

Never though of Airsoft to be honest.
    They are an often overlooked goldmine when it comes to things like this.

Same with other accessories. The guy at the desk told me they get their accessories from MagPul, iow the same company that make the stuff for real firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Looks good, I have to say its hard to beat the Peli cases for durability.
    I have several of different sizes and they must be more than 25 years old at this point, I have had stuff replaced under warranty by them before. Their warranty used to state that it was lifetime but voided by Sharkbite , bear attack or children under 5 years old.
    In fact I just sent off a warranty claim on a Versalite torch that must be the best part of two decades old and will see what they say.
    Anyway the foam is a good idea, picknpluck is pretty easy to work with but always seemed a bit flimsy to me.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Looks good, I have to say its hard to beat the Peli cases for durability.
    I have several of different sizes and they must be more than 25 years old at this point, I have had stuff replaced under warranty by them before. Their warranty used to state that it was lifetime but voided by Sharkbite , bear attack or children under 5 years old.
    In fact I just sent off a warranty claim on a Versalite torch that must be the best part of two decades old and will see what they say.
    Anyway the foam is a good idea, picknpluck is pretty easy to work with but always seemed a bit flimsy to me.

I'd agree that the Peli cases are a lot tougher.
    I wouldnt use the Nuprol for flying, but fir normal range and hunting use its ideal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement