Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyam

Options
  • 08-08-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭

In 1665, the plague arrived in the village of Eyam in Derbyshire. To avoid spreading the plague further around the country, the inhabitants decided not to let anyone in or out of the village. Over the next 14 months about 75% of the village's population died.

Neither the risk nor sacrifice are comparable to covid, obviously, but it put me in mind of it.

Presumably they had a town meeting of some sort to make the decision, and they would have had a good idea of the danger posed by the plague, if perhaps not the length of time in question.
    Had you been at the meeting, what would you have advocated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Ficheall wrote: »
    In 1665, the plague arrived in the village of Eyam in Derbyshire. To avoid spreading the plague further around the country, the inhabitants decided not to let anyone in or out of the village. Over the next 14 months about 75% of the village's population died.

Neither the risk nor sacrifice are comparable to covid, obviously, but it put me in mind of it.

Presumably they had a town meeting of some sort to make the decision, and they would have had a good idea of the danger posed by the plague, if perhaps not the length of time in question.
    Had you been at the meeting, what would you have advocated?

Did the inhabitants of Eyam decided to isolate themselves?
    If so why?
    Did the plague spread around the country in the end?
    Is there a book I can read on this subject?
    I'm also curious to what the governments position was in regards to Eyam isolation?

Advertisement