Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are there any credible conspiracy theories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Lol obviously you're too blindsided by the way a discussion goes. You've asked everyone in the conspiracy theories forum the same questions umpteen time's and you're unable to join the dots .

You're just being awkward now. There's a plethora of evidence that the conspiracy is no longer a conspiracy.

The vaccines did not slow down the spread of covid, it's a synthetic immune stimulant. It stimulates the production of a synthetic response.

It's not even a natural cure, It's not even fully developed yet.

It didn't stop the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Medical treatment reduced deaths from the virus (dramatically). End of.

There are individuals who falsely believed that vaccines would stop the pandemic in it's tracks, they have this bizarre notion that "we were told" this (we weren't) and due to that they rail against the vaccines.

Is there any credible conspiracy? None

The only relationship I see between those views and conspiracy theory forums is that anti-vax and anti-science views are popular among people who believe in fantastical conspiracy theories, or those who orbit the theories.

You're orbiting the theory too, I bet there's a part of you who actually wonder's about all the people who said that the vaccines wouldn't stop the virus, but you guys keep clutching at straw's

It's out there that Faucci said that they were going to stop people from getting covid. But you'll spin that into something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

By golly, you're quite right. I didn't watch the first two. That'll teach me to start things things and then go back to them in fits and starts. But...did they debunk the moons landings conspiracy theory? If they didn't they're irrelevant because that's what I was focussing on. The first two videos amount to nearly another hour of viewing so no I'm not going to watch them to find out - I have a life outside this place.

I didn't accuse you of being a believer in all conspiracy theories and I should have given you more credit for that because one of the things I've noticed about conspiracy theorists is that the same names keep cropping up again and again promoting lots of different theories. That you're only giving (limited) credence to one is indeed a sign of critical thinking in action and I should have picked up on it. Your comment about the moon landing video making some good points prompted me to jump to the conclusion that you were one of those I'm-just-asking-questions types i.e. a true CT believer hiding behind a mask of faux-reasonableness. So, sorry about that - that was unfair and I apologise unreservedly.

You could well be right about the mental illness aspect. It's not something I've looked into.

I did watch the first 3.somethng minutes of the thrid video and then skipped ahead a couple of times due to the poor arguments being made by the interviewee, and the lack of probing questions by the interviewer.

What I picked up on was:

• Werner von Braun said a moon landing was impossible - really? Was he qualified to decide that? In what year did he claim it? His V-1 rockets never left earth's atmosphere, and his V-2's never carried people and were only designed to go up and come back down again very quickly, so he was hardly informed by past experience of life support systems for space travel or of landing on and taking off again from a celestial body. Also, no evidence is provided about whether he actually said it. All we hear is the claim.
    • There were lots of reorganisations within NASA to make sure nobody got a full picture of the scam. Again, big claim, no evidence.
    • The van Allen belt problem. This has been debunked already. And the guy giving the presentation about that and the associated shielding appeared to be having his words twisted.
    • The shadows in the photographs. Also debunked already.
    • Nowadays NASA can only get people into earth orbit but not beyond. Well that's hardly suprising, given that the space shuttle is only designed to get poeople into earth orbit and not beyond. That was a strategic decision made by NASA and if I remember correctly, a lot of people in NASA thought it was a mistake. NASA decided to leave the longer-range stuff to robots, and here we are today with robots on Mars doing pretty much what the Apollo astronauts did on the moon, except for playing golf.

At that point I decided there was no reason to waste any more time on the video, and I think that conclusion was justified based on the random sample I'd seen at that point.

I'm disputing the nonsense, you are validating it.

When it comes to some silly conspiracy theory, that's relatively harmless. However when it comes to individuals spreading disinfo about medical treatment, or advising against advice from medical professionals, then as we all know there can be harmful repercussions. Prior to the pandemic, Measles was making a comeback directly because of disinformation about vaccines on social media. You, for example, dance around supporting anti-vax views here. Like every disingenuous view it's commonly dressed up as "just asking questions" or "just being concerned", however there's no credible conspiracy to any of it.

• Advertisement

I knew for a fact that viruses mutate, and some evolve to be less harmful in order to keep itself alive, and it wasn't fair of the media to hype up the fact that there's a high percentage of people going to get no symptoms or sick from COVID-19. Which was them not being clear to people who're willingly roll up their sleeves because they thought it was like a pox vaccine or hep jab or something. Thinking that the treatment was almost bullet proof. It wasn't. You know that and so do I.

No point in denying that the media and pharma industry were very unclear about the efficiency.

Is just another personal take stuffed with misconceptions with no mention of any credible conspiracy theory.

Conspiracy theory forums have always been magnets for anti-vax woo.

It's a bunch of lay-people bashing science due to their own ignorance. Okay, but during a pandemic this social media fueled anti-vax stuff actually had repercussions, it resulted in millions across the world refusing to be vaccinated. That's their choice, but vaccines which can reduce the chance of death by up to 90%, so how many people unnecessarily died due to complete misinformation? It's grim to see someone you know suffer or die because they refuse to believe their local GPs and medical professionals over some BS posts they read on Facebook.

So when individuals come in here spamming this anti-vax stuff, the right thing to do is to tackle it. You don't, you gleefully validate it.

Is there any credible conspiracy theory to it? No. It's on this forum because it gets banned everywhere else, and these are exactly the type of people who buy into it. People who believe space travel is fake, people who think Covid was "pre-planned". Exactly the type of people with zero critical thinking who will evangelize this disinformation across the internet free of charge.

• Advertisement

It's not a "fight", it's pointing out and challenging disinfo and lies, whatever guise it takes.

Even if it's something harmless, e.g. you go to a soccer forum and make something up, people will immediately call you out on it. People don't like BS.

But why don't you approve of people with a neutral stance, or orbit as you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Those guys that claim to take a neutral stance are weird. It doesn’t take them long to fall off the fence into the anti-vaxxer world.

People who orbit conspiracy theorists and disinfo merchants are as bad, if not worse than them. They are "smart" enough not to push the theory directly, because they know they can't support it, but they validate the conspiracy theorists both directly and also indirectly by never challenging them and attacking those who question them.

To fall of a fence, you have to pretend to be sitting on one. You fell off and have shown yourself as someone who is anti-covid vaccines by trying to find any little straw to grasp onto and supporting conspiracy theorists. I never put myself in that position on a fence because I was able to spot the blatant lies from the start.

1. He didn't say it, then, you made it up....correct?
    2. For someone who threw a mickey fit yesterday over perceived personal attacks and back seat modding yesterday, this is a bit hypocritical, wouldn't you say?
    3. Oversight does not mean what you think it means in this context

You never spotted any lies, you made excuses for them.

Ah the sealioning again, lol

Wait for it, you'll tell me I don't know what I'm on about, and I don't know the meaning of this that and the other.

I know your pattern, your arguments about the efficiency of the vaccines are being torn asunder in one of the covid threads.

But I suggest you go in there for a discussion. Because you won't. You have back up here you see. You're all quiet tight as you're all well organized. There can't be one of you without a few others.

Ye tend to prop each other up too.

• Advertisement

That's a bit harsh, no ?

No. You'll notice that people with extreme beliefs rarely challenge each other, they are here for validation. If I were to create another account, join the vaccine thread and start posting more and more extreme comments about vaccines, I doubt any of the "vaccine-objectors" would challenge me, if anything they've demonstrated they would support me. It's brainless stuff.

You tried to sit on the fence and look for balance, but went off the end of the conspiracy theorist scales and became one of them, scorning science and facts along the way. The rabbit hole must be a dark place at the depth you are in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Hoop66

You very clearly do not know the meaning of terms you use. Nothing in @[Deleted User]'s post is even close to the definition of sealioning.

You make a post saying "But why don't you approve of people with a neutral stance, or orbit as you say?", you are asked to show where this has happened and you claim you are being "sealioned", instead of backing up your claim. You can't back up your claim because it is nonsense.

In retrospect were you not the ones with extreme beliefs, arguing for the complete shutdown of society and mass vaccination of the population?..

• Subscribers Posts: 40,966 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nope.

You're just inventing new versions of history now.

But you guys never challenge each other's lies either.

How?..

These people have been arguing for these things for the last two years..

Some of us said it was obviously a stupid course of action all along, done, we now find out with no cost benefit analysis..

This is what happened..

I saw a worldwide media/propaganda campaign..

The only illness I saw was after they rolled out the "vaccines"..

• Advertisement

You obviously don't know the meaning of the word sealioning either. Add it to the list along with oversight. Maybe take a look at the difference between quiet and quite while you're at it.

your arguments about the efficiency of the vaccines are being torn asunder in one of the covid threads.

Lies. Provide a link, or withdraw that statement, please.

Advertisement