Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishonest employer about TWSS

Options
  • 05-08-2020 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

My employer have been claiming TWSS and paying me a fraction of my salary (COVID subsidy + 50% of my salary) for the last number of months, even though they have enough funds (one of the senior managers told me this). I was never given an opportunity to agree to this as I just suddenly reduced my salary.

When I enquired about this they said it would only be for 3 months, and will repay me for the difference in income after this period. I didn't make a huge fuss about it as I was still on probation so I figured I'll wait it out. Now 4 months have gone and I still haven't received what I was promised, and I understand these payments will go on until next year. Of course, everything was agreed verbally and despite my requests, I have nothing in writing.

Rumour also have it that they might rebrand soon and I don't know if this will be a mechanism of getting rid of staff.

They have also recently received a substantial amount in funding and have employed new staff.

I have tried to communicate with the company director, but apart from empty promises he has been ignoring me (we all work remotely at the moment).

Any suggestions how I should approach this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

I dont think the qualifying criteria has anything to do with a companys funds in the bank, it is based on the impact to turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MidnightHawk

I dont think the qualifying criteria has anything to do with a companys funds in the bank, it is based on the impact to turnover.

Well, the company is a startup (just over a year old) if I am not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 26,932 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Don't think this is a once off, there's various threads dealing with this and it's sad to see alot of businesses appear not to be adhering to the spirit of what this scheme was intended for. I know personally a number of businesses trading normally, indeed better that have entire payroll on this scheme. The new EWSS will in some ways minimise abuses as there'll be a set weekly subsidy, €150 or €250 per employee, with employers making up the rest (allegedly)

It may make the scheme more transparent as there's also major confusion for employees and despite the generous subsidy, serious reductions in take home pay, with no reductions in hours worked. I wouldn't be surprised if there's not an avalanche of WRC claims in the coming months.

There's shocking animosity towards PUP recepients generally but in essence TWSS is a glorified version of it and costing taxpayers twice as much. Ultimately its creating a false economy. Yes, grants for those business lockdown but No to what's now clearly going on

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MidnightHawk

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Don't think this is a once off, there's various threads dealing with this and it's sad to see alot of businesses appear not to be adhering to the spirit of what this scheme was intended for. I know personally a number of businesses trading normally, indeed better that have entire payroll on this scheme. The new EWSS will in some ways minimise abuses as there'll be a set weekly subsidy, €150 or €250 per employee, with employers making up the rest (allegedly)

It may make the scheme more transparent as there's also major confusion for employees and despite the generous subsidy, serious reductions in take home pay, with no reductions in hours worked. I wouldn't be surprised if there's not an avalanche of WRC claims in the coming months.

There's shocking animosity towards PUP recepients generally but in essence TWSS is a glorified version of it and costing taxpayers twice as much. Ultimately its creating a false economy. Yes, grants for those business lockdown but No to what's now clearly going on

In hindsight, the government could avoid this by letting the employees apply for the TWSS and not the employer, as technically, this is a change in contractual agreement between the employer and employee. Basically, from what you said, the government is giving employers a very gray area to operate in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,932 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

In hindsight, the government could avoid this by letting the employees apply for the TWSS and not the employer, as technically, this is a change in contractual agreement between the employer and employee. Basically, from what you said, the government is giving employers a very gray area to operate in.

They are but that was not the intention, the TWSS was to be fair full of good intentions, with employers we're possible asked to top up salaries. I agree but in addition to what's going on, government have also stopped temporarily redundancy legislation and by default any mechanism for employees to question what is going on.

At the other end of the scale is business's still actually closed being permitted (and its allowed) submit payroll for staff still at home. I certainly don't begrudge the employee's, it's not their fault but how can this be permitted, its extraordinary, Staff in this situation should be on PUP, but then again that payment seems to cause widespread offence in certain circles.

I suspect revenue are going to have a field day at years end

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement