Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public transport - meaning of essential journey

Options
  • 02-08-2020 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

We are now being actively encouraged to take holidays at home, but it seems that public transport is still reserved for "essential journeys only".

Does this mean that only people with cars get to go to Kerry and the Wild Atlantic Way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

No its basically for people trying to get from A to B really, when we were in Phase 1 & 2, it was meant to be for essential workers without cars, but passengers didn't need to show any proof so it is just a guidance than an actual law.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Nobody enforced 'public transport for essential journeys' anyway, even at the height of the lockdown and distance restrictions. It was an empty PR message that made some lad in the NTA feel like they made a difference.

Bus drivers didn't want the aggro and guards were happy enough whiling their shift away scratching their holes at empty checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We are now being actively encouraged to take holidays at home, but it seems that public transport is still reserved for "essential journeys only".

Does this mean that only people with cars get to go to Kerry and the Wild Atlantic Way?

No. You can also use a bicycle

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No. You can also use a bicycle
    So you expect them to cycle all the way to Kerry? A family as well, including kids?

I'll be using public transport to get to my holiday destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ixoy wrote: »
    So you expect them to cycle all the way to Kerry? A family as well, including kids?

I'll be using public transport to get to my holiday destination.

If they live in Kerry, they can cycle the Ring of Kerry.

If they live elsewhere, they should be holidaying elsewhere. Ya know, a "STAYcation".

Leaves public transport for people who need to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If they live elsewhere, they should be holidaying elsewhere. Ya know, a "STAYcation".
    A staycation is clearly meant to mean holidaying in Ireland if you're Irish, not just your home county. But you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honestly I wouldn't worry about essential travel anymore as many didn't even 2 and 3 weeks o ti lockdown.

Kids travelling whenever they liked alone mostly and on occasion with family, I had as young as 8 travelling alone even one at 11pm at night with o money wanting to get home as he was at his friends.

People and the gubernment were stupid and so much could have been done better but no they decided stopping cars was better and fcuk all checks if any on public transport.

Dublin city was a joke.

Advertisement