Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How are musicians, buskers, live entertainers coping during this pandemic.

• 31-07-2020 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭

I was busking in the Salthill promenade the other day and there seemed to be plenty walking and social distancing. When I sang a song I would use the mask and after collecting the money and trying not to consciously touch my face, I'd go home and dump the coins into a bucket of soapy water and give my hands a thorough wash. I really miss the live session scene though and gigs, that live event experience. Have been looking through all my festival videos over the years so I don't go mad and whenever I can, I call to friends for some tunes otherwise I'd go completely crazy.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I haven't seen any buskers around city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The entire sector is essentially being hung out to dry by the government at the moment, and particularly with the updated terms of the PUP that people are "actively seeking work".

It has not gone down well. I don't think people realise how badly fuccked the industry is, or take it for granted. This won't all start up again smoothly if not properly supported.

I have worked extensively in this sector (I don't at the moment) and have many friends who still do, and I can see there is pretty much zero consideration gone into this, despite how much the govt. etc love to parade the arts internationally as a selling point of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

biko wrote: »

There's still a few about Galway city and Salthill, I suppose Galway cases are fairly low compared to say, Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

theres a group outside a closed debenhams on patrick street in cork city every day i drive past playing away using mikes amps the lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I bought garden furniture from a company who usually do stage hire and builds for festivals. We got great sturdy furniture and felt like I was helping them survive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »

There have been buskers most days since June.

I've even started throwing coins to a few, since there are fewer tourists to feed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

With folk tweeting and posting about Latitude Festival my festival antenna sprung up again, so they're happening in the UK and I'm jealous as fcuk, what I want to know is now with indoor hospitality happening next Monday, when will we be allowed to have live gigs in bars again. I would love my old traditional music session back again and I believe that if music gets allowed in the pubs again maybe the festivals will be allowed too. Do you think enough will be vaccinated by the time Electric Picnic comes around, the summer might be wasted for live outdoor events but hopefully we can close it spectacularly by having the Picnic. I'm also pissed off about Wild Roots getting cancelled when across the water Latitude is catering for 30,000 capacity compared to Wild Roots 10,000 capacity about three weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

The coverband/tribute/weddingband scene has been decimated,one of the first sectors to close and last re-open,cant get grants because they have no business premises but no bother taking taxes from same address before all this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭bloopy

I would imagine that there will be no electric picnic this year. We've only just decided to maybe open pubs with limited access and entry akin to getting the boat back from the uk.

I don't see how any large concerts will be allowed to go ahead. Especially in September when RTE and the lads will be back on the schools/colleges reopening doom train.

Advertisement