Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Rod Fishing in Waterford

• 31-07-2020 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me the absolute basics of mackerel fishing in Waterford?

I haven’t been rod fishing since I was a child and I’d love to bring my kids out to catch their own fish. Now seems to be a good time of year.

I’m wondering where to go that’s safe enough for kids and gives me a good chance of getting a couple of mackerel. I’m told that a dull day is good. Are tides important too?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Can anyone give me the absolute basics of mackerel fishing in Waterford?

I haven’t been rod fishing since I was a child and I’d love to bring my kids out to catch their own fish. Now seems to be a good time of year.

I’m wondering where to go that’s safe enough for kids and gives me a good chance of getting a couple of mackerel. I’m told that a dull day is good. Are tides important too?

Thanks for any help!

Best to go out about an hour before high tide is due in ,doesn't matter if its dull or sunny its the tide that brings them in ,with kids you're probably best to try Dunmore in the car park behind the lighthouse ,just on the rocks there or in the other car park up behind east pier and walk down to the rocks from there ,depending what time you go it might be busy and hard to find a good spot ,but always a very good chance you'll catch them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

The Mackerel were impaling themselves on to rods when I was last in Dunmore

and I'm sure you would get all the advice you are looking for if you went out

there and just asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Guillemene portally cove and dunmore east popular spots you need a decent rod few traces and 1/2 oz weights , looking to cast least 50 yards they come in with the tide usually

Advertisement