Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Senior Executive Officer, Local Authority 2020

«13456710

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ moneymaid


    Interested in this.

    Anyone any previous experience of the application process etc?


  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ Nicole2020


    moneymaid wrote: »
    Interested in this.

    Anyone any previous experience of the application process etc?

    Would also be looking for any hints or tips if anyone has any =)


  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭ dee75


    Pay scale and level of responsibility seems to be equivalent to AP in civil service.

    Anyone had experience of applying previously? What was the process like?

    Has anyone any insight into the role itself? And working in Councils generally? Thanks :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭ Cheeseplant


    helpful infor here from 2017 competition
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103661140


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭ FutureGuy


    Hi all, have read up on the previous thread.

    I am coming directly from the private sector. Would this put me at a disadvantage when it comes to the process?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,572 ✭✭✭✭ Rikand


    FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all, have read up on the previous thread.

    I am coming directly from the private sector. Would this put me at a disadvantage when it comes to the process?

    It shouldn't until you get to the interview stages. Having a good knowledge of local authority would be very advantageous at that point I would imagine


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭ FutureGuy


    Rikand wrote: »
    It shouldn't until you get to the interview stages. Having a good knowledge of local authority would be very advantageous at that point I would imagine

    Really appreciate the answer Rikand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ Cushtie


    Application gone in for this today. Not holding out much hope personally, but sure if you're not in you can't win.

    Good luck to all applying


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Vinoveritas29


    Has anyone here applied previously for this role? Just curious are applicants generally already working in local authorities or was anyone successful from other sectors?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Avdel


    Applied for this role myself. Currently working in Civil Service. Dont suppose anyone has a link to any practice test??


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ prettyboy81


    Assessment Day.co.uk I find useful for these style of tests.


  • Registered Users Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ moneymaid


    Missed the application date for this, thought it was today. Raging :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ TrixIrl


    Just got notification for first round of assessments, running from 27 August to 1 September. 12 minute (so short !!!) Verbal and numerical tests and a Mgmt scenario test.

    Although I'm an SEO in the HSE that's equivalent to a Grade 7/Administrative Officer in LA, I've never sat these sorts of assessments before so definitely going to try practice as much as possible.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ prettyboy81


    Got notification myself. Competition moving quickly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭ lucat


    Are there any actual practice tests we can do? The Info Booklet just links to a video about how the tests work.


  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Zulu Art


    lucat wrote: »
    Are there any actual practice tests we can do? The Info Booklet just links to a video about how the tests work.

    The pas seem to be using new tests each time. I suspect it is to avoid building a secondary sales industry for the test providers while maintaining a level playing field - which is how these tests are supposed to work


  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭ lucat


    Zulu Art wrote: »
    The pas seem to be using new tests each time. I suspect it is to avoid building a secondary sales industry for the test providers while maintaining a level playing field - which is how these tests are supposed to work

    Well they're using a company connected to Cut-e which is who they always use. But normally they provide practice tests of some kind. I've never ever heard of a competition that doesn't have them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Pinkmouse2020


    lucat wrote: »
    Well they're using a company connected to Cut-e which is who they always use. But normally they provide practice tests of some kind. I've never ever heard of a competition that doesn't have them.

    there doesn't seem to be any practice test only video's as someone mentioned, I have been on to jobtestprep.co.uk and they advised the pack for the Executive Officer, however I feel this may be an easier version. If it's the only option to practice available I will go with.. I did find them useful for the APO test as never had completed this previously!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ TrixIrl


    I read the info but couldn't see any mention of this- are we allowed to use a calculator? And if there is a supervised test round will we also be allowed there?

    My numerical reasoning is very good but the actual maths of it all ...


  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Casarina


    Yes you can use a calculator. Also in the supervised tests if they happen.
    TrixIrl wrote: »
    I read the info but couldn't see any mention of this- are we allowed to use a calculator? And if there is a supervised test round will we also be allowed there?

    My numerical reasoning is very good but the actual maths of it all ...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Avdel


    Yes, I got my email yesterday for the online test. I would suggest sending an email to them if you didnt get it yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭ dee75


    Well, tests done. The Cut-e style is very different from the SHL type used in the AP competition.

    I got about 32 done in numerical, out of 37 questions. It wasn't too bad.

    Only got 32 done in verbal. Thought I would get a lot more answered than that, given there are 49 questions! As people mentioned in the previous SEO competition thread, it's off-putting moving between the different threads no matter how fast a reader you are.

    Management scenario was fine. Always impossible to know how you got on with that one until you get your score.

    Good luck to everyone doing the tests this weekend.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Pinkmouse2020


    dee75 wrote: »
    Well, tests done. The Cut-e style is very different from the SHL type used in the AP competition.

    I got about 32 done in numerical, out of 37 questions. It wasn't too bad.

    Only got 32 done in verbal. Thought I would get a lot more answered than that, given there are 49 questions! As people mentioned in the previous SEO competition thread, it's off-putting moving between the different threads no matter how fast a reader you are.

    Management scenario was fine. Always impossible to know how you got on with that one until you get your score.

    Good luck to everyone doing the tests this weekend.

    Thanks so much @dee75 for the insights, did you do any practice test or just watch the videos before completing?


  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭ dee75


    Thanks so much @dee75 for the insights, did you do any practice test or just watch the videos before completing?

    I signed up with Job Test Prep UK for some practice tests.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Pinkmouse2020


    dee75 wrote: »
    I signed up with Job Test Prep UK for some practice tests.

    Perfect thanks again


  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ tungsten


    dee75 wrote: »
    Well, tests done. The Cut-e style is very different from the SHL type used in the AP competition.

    I got about 32 done in numerical, out of 37 questions. It wasn't too bad.

    Only got 32 done in verbal. Thought I would get a lot more answered than that, given there are 49 questions! As people mentioned in the previous SEO competition thread, it's off-putting moving between the different threads no matter how fast a reader you are.

    Management scenario was fine. Always impossible to know how you got on with that one until you get your score.

    Good luck to everyone doing the tests this weekend.



    Thanks for your observations on the tests
    Do you know of they were the old cut-e type - evergreen ltd with the tabs - trying to get my head around the different tests in jobstestprep. aiming to complete them tomorrow


  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭ dee75


    tungsten wrote: »
    Thanks for your observations on the tests
    Do you know of they were the old cut-e type - evergreen ltd with the tabs - trying to get my head around the different tests in jobstestprep. aiming to complete them tomorrow

    I've never done this style of test before so I'm not sure. However it was related to a company called Evergreen Ltd and had six tabs to flick between on both the numerical and verbal tests.

    Best of luck tomorrow.


  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭ lucat


    Ugh, well that was a waste of time. I only got 16 or 17 questions done in Verbal. Really annoyed!


  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ Redchick


    Well that's me out.... Logged in to complete the management scenario questions and once I got beyond the practice question I was presented with a blank white screen. I've emailed the support desk but I'm not sure if they will reinstate it. Oh well��


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ tungsten


    Redchick wrote: »
    Well that's me out.... Logged in to complete the management scenario questions and once I got beyond the practice question I was presented with a blank white screen. I've emailed the support desk but I'm not sure if they will reinstate it. Oh well��

    The system will legitimately see a bug - don't worry


Advertisement