Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best EV under 30k

• 13-07-2020 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Which EV do you reckon is best value for money for the sub 30k price range? Would be good to know the reasons too. Looking to purchase one soon.
    Most of my journeys would be weekend getaways with camping gear etc so bootspace could be a factor for me.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Weekend camping sounds like you'd be driving a fair distance, and arriving somewhere without a charger anywhere nearby.

Would that be right?

Options would be pretty limited I'd say.
    Leaf 40 or Hyundai ioniq. EGolf too maybe

I own an ioniq. Great car, good boot, particularly with the seats down.
    Can be got for 18k+ depending on the year, which is great value.
    Charges fast compared to others (on faster fast chargers like ionity).
    Decent range (up to 180km-230km is about a fair representation -winter/summer). Can certainly get much more range but I don't want to misrepresent what would be typical from hearing here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

OP you want to buy new or second hand? would better guide those in advice.

for me got a new 2020 leaf,
    main reason's space for people in back, decent boot space, USB slots front and back,i like the interior/layout and all round good city car.
    Took a lot of long trips recently, when on a crap roads of Ireland my range this summer is easily 250km. However the big downside to that is when going motorway it just destroys the battery going 110/120 km/h. so 100km/h seems optimal. Done double chademo charges on same day with those long drives and battery temp was just over half, not as impactful others have said on boards so maybe it was a bigger issue on the older versions...
    Another thing i don't like about the leaf is the app and the crap servers nissan provide, its nice when it works but would like it to be a bit more responsive than it is but at the end of the day its small thing for how irregular i'd use it. Nice for checking on stats n stuff, i winter probably more for preheating when i forget to set it.

yes i looked at the others, new ionic was too expensive but was yum. Renault and Peugeot i just didn't like overall layout and issue with space in back and the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Weekend camping sounds like you'd be driving a fair distance, and arriving somewhere without a charger anywhere nearby.

Would that be right?

Options would be pretty limited I'd say.
    Leaf 40 or Hyundai ioniq. EGolf too maybe

I own an ioniq. Great car, good boot, particularly with the seats down.
    Can be got for 18k+ depending on the year, which is great value.
    Charges fast compared to others (on faster fast chargers like ionity).
    Decent range (up to 180km-230km is about a fair representation -winter/summer). Can certainly get much more range but I don't want to misrepresent what would be typical from hearing here on boards.

Thanks. Yeah looking for something I can drive a fair distance on weekends. Most campsites usually provide an electric point so charging the EV shouldn't be a problem hopefully.
    I test drove the nissan leaf 40 today and it seemed nice. Will have a look at hyundai ioniq too this week.
    Any idea if the egolf is gonna be defunct in terms of resalability once ID.3 becomes mainstream? The ID.3 seems quite nice from what I read online.

Laviski wrote: »
    OP you want to buy new or second hand? would better guide those in advice.

for me got a new 2020 leaf,
    main reason's space for people in back, decent boot space, USB slots front and back,i like the interior/layout and all round good city car.
    Took a lot of long trips recently, when on a crap roads of Ireland my range this summer is easily 250km. However the big downside to that is when going motorway it just destroys the battery going 110/120 km/h. so 100km/h seems optimal. Done double chademo charges on same day with those long drives and battery temp was just over half, not as impactful others have said on boards so maybe it was a bigger issue on the older versions...
    Another thing i don't like about the leaf is the app and the crap servers nissan provide, its nice when it works but would like it to be a bit more responsive than it is but at the end of the day its small thing for how irregular i'd use it. Nice for checking on stats n stuff, i winter probably more for preheating when i forget to set it.

yes i looked at the others, new ionic was too expensive but was yum. Renault and Peugeot i just didn't like overall layout and issue with space in back and the boot.

Thanks. I don't mind a second hand as long as it has good range. But yeah for argument's sake I guess we can focus on the new cars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thanks. Yeah looking for something I can drive a fair distance on weekends.

You’ll need to be more sure of this to avoid disappointment. A “fair distance” could be anything.

Range is the key thing with EVs so get that right and then it’s down to things like looks and features which is personal opinion.

• Advertisement

if second hand and time is on your side, look out for telsa's and if UK import remember January UK are out of EU.

KCross wrote: »
    You’ll need to be more sure of this to avoid disappointment. A “fair distance” could be anything.

Range is the key thing with EVs so get that right and then it’s down to things like looks and features which is personal opinion.

couldn't agree more on this, best to state your range/use case for driving on a daily/weekly basis.

city/short commutes.
    medium commutes.
    long commutes.

my use case (and opinion) for my leaf is city driving and the odd excursion at weekends. since my estimated range is at 280km on full charge i do need to plot and plan those journeys (taking into account motorways affect the range) and where i'm going to charge. if planning to drive to the corners of Ireland leaf isn't ideal unless you like taking breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

What is your daily commute? If its short you won't really save anything on fuel. Trips beyond the range if an EV are typically stressful and risky. Often 50kW chargers are busy broken or blocked so you need to allow for that and fill up before 0%. As a result on long trips you need to stop every 100km or 150km to fill up for 30+ minutes, to go another 100/150km. This is the main downside of an EV with a 30/40kWh battery. If you had a 100km round trip daily commute it would make sense but buying an EV with a small battery for regular long trips os a bad idea. As for charging at camp sites some if these caravan power hook ups will trip if you draw typical EV charging power as they need to limit the power drawn by all caravans at peak times, so it may not work as you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thanks. Yeah looking for something I can drive a fair distance on weekends. Most campsites usually provide an electric point so charging the EV shouldn't be a problem hopefully.
    I test drove the nissan leaf 40 today and it seemed nice. Will have a look at hyundai ioniq too this week.
    Any idea if the egolf is gonna be defunct in terms of resalability once ID.3 becomes mainstream? The ID.3 seems quite nice from what I read online.

Wouldn't count on campsites for a EHU to charge most are 16amp but a lot are 10amp which is at the limit for a granny cable and some are even only 5amp.

Leaf is good size alright but I reckon the Ioniq edges it on usable boot space. Leaf 40 has slightly better range but the Ioniq 28 is more efficient and charges faster so over a longer trip is actually quicker.

Are you camping with just 1 or 2 or with a family? Big difference in requirements. If it's just 1 or 2 Corsa e or e208 are worth looking at. If it's with a family who want all the luxuries Audi etron or Tesla Model S/X are about the only ones big enough and a bit over budget. Our family tent alone fills nearly half the space of my 710l boot! By myself I can fit everything I need on a bike!

Mitsubishi Outlander plugin hybrid would be worth considering if you need something bigger, cover ypur commute on electric during the week and you have petrol for range at the weekend.

Daily KM requirements and how far you actually want to go at weekends are really needed.

Don't think eGolf values are going to drop, all used EVs are going to be in demand in coming years and the eGolf is pretty desirable.

Well my work commute would most likely continue to be cycling or public transport. So only looking at weekend trips around Ireland. I guess the total distance would be anywhere between 200-600 kms.
    Do you guys find the ESB charging stations around the country a hassle or unreliable to use?
    Good point on the campsite limiting the power supply on their electric hookups. Didnt think of that to be honest.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Wouldn't count on campsites for a EHU to charge most are 16amp but a lot are 10amp which is at the limit for a granny cable and some are even only 5amp.

Leaf is good size alright but I reckon the Ioniq edges it on usable boot space. Leaf 40 has slightly better range but the Ioniq 28 is more efficient and charges faster so over a longer trip is actually quicker.

Are you camping with just 1 or 2 or with a family? Big difference in requirements. If it's just 1 or 2 Corsa e or e208 are worth looking at. If it's with a family who want all the luxuries Audi etron or Tesla Model S/X are about the only ones big enough and a bit over budget. Our family tent alone fills nearly half the space of my 710l boot! By myself I can fit everything I need on a bike!

Mitsubishi Outlander plugin hybrid would be worth considering if you need something bigger, cover ypur commute on electric during the week and you have petrol for range at the weekend.

Daily KM requirements and how far you actually want to go at weekends are really needed.

Don't think eGolf values are going to drop, all used EVs are going to be in demand in coming years and the eGolf is pretty desirable.

Most of the times its just going to be myself with 1-2 more people.
    So far I have shortlisted these around the 30k range:

Nissan leaf - 40 kw
    Hyundai ioniq - 38 kw
    VW egolf - 38 kw
    Peugot 508 - 50 kw
    Renault Zoe - 52 kw
    VW ID.3 - 58 kw

I might just wait for the ID.3 as it is going to have a much better driving range and VW has a better name in the market as compared to the likes of Peugots or Renaults.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Zoe 50, is probably the best new car in your price range ..
    It's got a surprisingly big boot too ...
    I wouldn't worry too much about range for long distance camping trips , plan on a shortish fast charge/ toilet stop just before you leave the motorways / dual carraigeway , then you should have loads of range on more local roads , most towns have some some form of charging ,
    And the Zoe can charge more quickly than most at a regular charger ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about range for long distance camping trips , plan on a shortish fast charge/ toilet stop just before you leave the motorways / dual carraigeway , then you should have loads of range on more local roads , most towns have some some form of charging ,

Cool! Will take a test drive then 😊
    I guess I'm just a bit wary of Renault/Peugeot in case there is a quality difference as compared to Volkswagens & Hyundais.

I don't know much about the Peugeot, ( and it's fairly new anyway ,) but the Zoe is supposedly pretty decent, I'm sure there's some sort of reliability comparison online if you google
    it ,

You're not going to get a new id3, new leaf or a Hyundai for anywhere near 30 grand

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I tell a lie , just checked and a leaf sv 40 is on the road for just less than 31 grand. .. I better check the others too I suppose ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »

Does the Zoe 50 have fast ac charging? Thought that went when they switched to CCS.

Most of the times its just going to be myself with 1-2 more people.
    So far I have shortlisted these around the 30k range:

Nissan leaf - 40 kw
    Hyundai ioniq - 38 kw
    VW egolf - 38 kw
    Peugot 508 - 50 kw
    Renault Zoe - 52 kw
    VW ID.3 - 58 kw

I might just wait for the ID.3 as it is going to have a much better driving range and VW has a better name in the market as compared to the likes of Peugots or Renaults.

At 200-600km drives of rule out the original ioniq due to range, and the new ioniq due to range and slower charging speeds.
    Probably rule out the leaf and golf too.

Id3 1st might be a decent option, but it's over budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Does the Zoe 50 have fast ac charging? Thought that went when they switched to CCS.

Can still charge at 22 kW according to an Electrek article, which is brilliant for camping trips near a town with AC charge points.

To the OP, I have been camping in an EV and I wouldn't rely on campsite sockets. Have used a 10 amp socket but it did trip it's breaker at around 9am. Presumably when camper vans and caravans used kettles etc. The Kia 3 pin cable can be clamped at 6, 8 or 10A but I'm not sure if other EVs 3 pin cables can do this.

I can't see any car big enough, with enough range and 22 kW AC charging other than the Zoe 50 for you're budget. If there is one I'd like to know too.

Can still charge at 22 kW according to an Electrek article, which is brilliant for camping trips near a town with AC charge points.

To the OP, I have been camping in an EV and I wouldn't rely on campsite sockets. Have used a 10 amp socket but it did trip it's breaker at around 9am. Presumably when camper vans and caravans used kettles etc. The Kia 3 pin cable can be clamped at 6, 8 or 10A but I'm not sure if other EVs 3 pin cables can do this.

I can't see any car big enough, with enough range and 22 kW AC charging other than the Zoe 50 for you're budget. If there is one I'd like to know too.

Looks like it's going to be a choice between Peugeot 508 and Renault Zoe. Will google out some comparison online.
    The ID3 is going to be atleast 35k so I guess I might skip that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Have a look at the MG ZS also. You'd easily land one for under 30k and would have a lot more space and toys than the Zoe.
    Problem is you'd have to import it as there's no dealers here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

As an alternative you could get a 2017 petrol octavia for 16 to 17k. Huge boot and roof bar ready. A perfect camping machine and comfy for long motorway drives.

You won't need to stop to charge so you maximise every second of that precious weekend time.

Your only using at weekends so fuel costs are not really an issue.

What's the driver for the ev solution??

Looks like it's going to be a choice between Peugeot 508 and Renault Zoe. Will google out some comparison online.
    The ID3 is going to be atleast 35k so I guess I might skip that one.

See if the Peugeot has an option for 11 kW charging and 7 kW single phase for home charging. For your use case I can't stress the value of 22 kW AC charging. There's like over 1,000 AC charge points but less than 100 DC fast charge points on the eCars network.

Mayfield services eCars fast charger gave me 22 kWh in 44 minutes recently, brutal. You could get that in an hour at over 1,000 spots around the country with 22 kW AC on-board charging. No queing for fast charge points like the rest of us! The first time I called in to Mayfield the whole site had no power and I couldn't buy hot food let alone charge.

I'd pay a lot for a 22 kW AC upgrade for eNiro if it ever came available. Maybe other EV drivers with 22 kW on-board can offer their opinion.

Check the eCars map and set the filter for AC charge points only. Places like Bantry, Kilorglan, Grange (Sligo), Ballyshannon, Donegal, Carlingford, Laytown and Waterford I've either used or are on the shortlist but I'm only getting about 50km range during per hour stop approx 11% of battery. Zoe 50 could get almost 50% battery in that same 1 hour stop.

stesaurus wrote: »
    Have a look at the MG ZS also. You'd easily land one for under 30k and would have a lot more space and toys than the Zoe.
    Problem is you'd have to import it as there's no dealers here.

Don't want to go for a chinese EV I guess.
    Lantus wrote: »
    As an alternative you could get a 2017 petrol octavia for 16 to 17k. Huge boot and roof bar ready. A perfect camping machine and comfy for long motorway drives.

You won't need to stop to charge so you maximise every second of that precious weekend time.

Your only using at weekends so fuel costs are not really an issue.

What's the driver for the ev solution??

Only looking at zero emission options. I know its more practical to have a hybrid or a petrol car but I guess it's more of a personal choice :)
    See if the Peugeot has an option for 11 kW charging and 7 kW single phase for home charging. For your use case I can't stress the value of 22 kW AC charging. There's like over 1,000 AC charge points but less than 100 DC fast charge points on the eCars network.

Mayfield services eCars fast charger gave me 22 kWh in 44 minutes recently, brutal. You could get that in an hour at over 1,000 spots around the country with 22 kW AC on-board charging. No queing for fast charge points like the rest of us! The first time I called in to Mayfield the whole site had no power and I couldn't buy hot food let alone charge.

I'd pay a lot for a 22 kW AC upgrade for eNiro if it ever came available. Maybe other EV drivers with 22 kW on-board can offer their opinion.

Check the eCars map and set the filter for AC charge points only. Places like Bantry, Kilorglan, Grange (Sligo), Ballyshannon, Donegal, Carlingford, Laytown and Waterford I've either used or are on the shortlist but I'm only getting about 50km range during per hour stop approx 11% of battery. Zoe 50 could get almost 50% battery in that same 1 hour stop.

Ah cool so the AC charging options are what I should look for. Thanks for that useful info. I'm an EV newbie so didn't know all this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

See if the Peugeot has an option for 11 kW charging and 7 kW single phase for home charging.

I don’t think the e208 can do this. You have to pick one or the other. If you pick 11kW you only get 3.6kW then at home.

i think its starting to become obvious that maybe new EV (circa 30k) isn't going to cater for your needs.

I think you would be best to get a second hand model S or stick with your current petrol diesel option for another year or two.

Laviski wrote: »
    i think its starting to become obvious that maybe new EV (circa 30k) isn't going to cater for your needs.

I think you would be best to get a second hand model S or stick with your current petrol diesel option for another year or two.

From what I gathered so far, Zoe 50 and Peugeot e-208 might just do the trick unless I'm missing something?

Don't want to go for a chinese EV I guess.

Only looking at zero emission options. I know its more practical to have a hybrid or a petrol car but I guess it's more of a personal choice :)

Ah cool so the AC charging options are what I should look for. Thanks for that useful info. I'm an EV newbie so didn't know all this :)

Well both AC and DC options. And by AC I mean 22 kW charging on any car that has it available. Zoe 50 might be too small and I think CCS is a paid extra. Zoe or Tesla threads might be more helpful too.

I would probably buy a second hand Outlander or rent a GoCar van if I was in your shoes to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You need to make a list of must haves and would like OP.
    The only thing a Tesla and a Zoe have in common is good AC charging speed. They are opposite ends of the EV spectrum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd wait 12months for Tesla Model S 2015 era to reach your price point versus getting an Outlander now.
    The Model S will tick all your boxes, you will also be able to charge directly off campsite blue connector with adapter.
    See here, it's mentioned when you expand Tesla Mobile Connector

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/charging-connectors?redirect=no

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Advertisement