Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hi all, I remember this issue was touched on before. Have a 6s and with Eir. 4G coverage is great however regularly as I travel it switches to 3G and takes ages to go back to 4G (usually in a populated area).

So anytime on a train or Motorway I have to open Settings, Mobile Data, Mobile Data Options, Voice and Data and then select 3G and hit 4G and the 4G coverage comes back.

Is there an issue with other networks. I have a Vodafone sim which I will try next time I take a trip. Its very annoying especially if I need the hotspot for working.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

iOS 14.5 RC is out

14.6 Public Beta is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Apparently IOS 14.5 is going live this evening. That would be 6pm Irish time if they follow precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Is 14.5 the version that'll unlock your phone while wearing a mask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Provided you've got an Apple Watch on and unlocked and you switch this feature on, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

14.5 is out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Installed it but I'm not getting any of the privacy prompts. I expected when I opened Facebook for example to get the prompt?

awec wrote: »
    Installed it but I'm not getting any of the privacy prompts. I expected when I opened Facebook for example to get the prompt?

On 14.5 now myself. Before updating a load of apps were updated and I was asked to track by RTE, Lidl, a Radio Station and my CCTV app.

In settings if you open privacy and then tracking make you will see what apps has asked you but make sure the ask apps to track is on.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    On 14.5 now myself. Before updating a load of apps were updated and I was asked to track by RTE, Lidl, a Radio Station and my CCTV app.

In settings if you open privacy and then tracking make you will see what apps has asked you but make sure the ask apps to track is on.

I opened RTE and it didn't ask me either.

Ask to Track is definitely on.

And I'm definitely on 14.5.

• Advertisement

I opened RTE and it didn't ask me either.

Ask to Track is definitely on.

And I'm definitely on 14.5.

I was asked a few days ago, I only updated to 14.5 in last little while and have just deleted and reinstalled the RTE app and get the message on start up like the below. I would open your app store and refresh for latest app updates available unless you do it automatically. I would think a lot of apps will need to be updated for the tracking to be asked.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/07/03/permission-for-tracking/

Edit - RTE Version 6.0.30

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I was asked a few days ago, I only updated to 14.5 in last little while and have just deleted and reinstalled the RTE app and get the message on start up like the below. I would open your app store and refresh for latest app updates available unless you do it automatically. I would think a lot of apps will need to be updated for the tracking to be asked.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/07/03/permission-for-tracking/

Edit - RTE Version 6.0.30

So I got the prompt for Sky Sports Score Centre. And now it's listed under the Privacy > Tracking in settings.

No prompt for Facebook though and Facebook isn't listed under Privacy > Tracking. There's also no FB app update available. Curious if anyone has got the prompt for Facebook.

I’ve found over the last month or so that it’s ‘learned’ my face in a mask and it’s been unlocking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

So I got the prompt for Sky Sports Score Centre. And now it's listed under the Privacy > Tracking in settings.

No prompt for Facebook though and Facebook isn't listed under Privacy > Tracking. There's also no FB app update available. Curious if anyone has got the prompt for Facebook.
    I have been on 14.5 the past week with the gold release. Not gotten any prompts yet. Uninstalled Facebook twice.

I think the app needs to be built against the later sdks not sure if Facebook have done this yet as I don’t have their app installed.

I have gotten asked by just eat and ultimate rugby but they happened over the weekend and I was on 14.4.x then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Anyone else’s allow apps to track grayed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

In Siri settings, there is a language option now called English (Ireland). Has that always been there? If I try to turn it in it tells me that Siri voice recognition and personality requests won’t work if I do.

I thought there was proper Siri support for sidle and coming, or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For those not getting the opt-outs, you may have them blocked already.

On checking my phone on Settings>Privacy>Tracking the toggle under Allow Apps to Request to Track was already switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    In Siri settings, there is a language option now called English (Ireland). Has that always been there? If I try to turn it in it tells me that Siri voice recognition and personality requests won’t work if I do.

It let me change to English (Ireland) without telling me there’d be any ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

It let me change to English (Ireland) without telling me there’d be any ill effects.

What are the actual advantages of changing it to Ireland? I might restart the phone, maybe it’s a glitch or leftover from the previous iOS version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Anyone else’s allow apps to track grayed out?

No. Is your phone owned by your employer? If so you may have a profile installed on it that’s controlling this setting.

Have you updated your HomePod OS’ as well?
    What are the actual advantages of changing it to Ireland? I might restart the phone, maybe it’s a glitch or leftover from the previous iOS version.

It’ll probably help with pronunciation issues people have with getting Siri to understand fadas etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

No. Is your phone owned by your employer? If so you may have a profile installed on it that’s controlling this setting.

Nope. Looking online seems I’m not the only one with this problem so that’s something atleast guess I’ll have to wait till 14.5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’ll probably help with pronunciation issues people have with getting Siri to understand fadas etc.

“Hey Siri, turty tree ana turd.”

“Thirty three plus one third is 33.333333”

Siri’s gone native.

English (Ireland) for the phone and Siri language have been there long before now haven't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

If you have the greyed out “Do Not Track” button try signing out of iCloud and sign back in to fix it.

English (Ireland) for the phone and Siri language have been there long before now haven't they?

I think the Irish voice has been there for ages.

I remember when it came out it sounded really bad, very robotic. Not sure if they improved it.

I think the Irish voice has been there for ages.

I remember when it came out it sounded really bad, very robotic. Not sure if they improved it.

It has definitely improved, I switched to it last night, It's actually quite neutral. I might end up switching back just because I used the British voice for so long but I could see myself actually using the Irish ones now that they've lost the OIrish-ness.

Personal requests on HomePod don't work with the language set to English (Irish) which is a bummer but I'd say a software update (when HomePod is officially released here) will fix that. At least Siri language and voice are independent of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

Since the IOS 14.5 update yesterday.... anyone having problems getting the unlock feature to work ??
    Doesnt for me have done all the settings correctly but still nout

• Advertisement

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Since the IOS 14.5 update yesterday.... anyone having problems getting the unlock feature to work ??
    Doesnt for me have done all the settings correctly but still nout

Haven't had to wear a mask yet since, given my current rate of leaving the house it might be a few days before I do :pac:

Advertisement