Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

my 12 pro max is currently on 80% with quite a bit of usage so far today

3-F69-E1-E3-D880-4-B2-D-9-E6-A-8-B83342-C2-A00.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

12 Pro Max was charged to 96% at 00:15 last night

On 50% now after moderate to heavy use

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I noticed more battery drainage with the previous IOS update this one isn't as bad but my battery hasn't been great the last while but has improved a little bit with adjustments. Put it on flight mode to save battery lol or turn off wifi. Over charging the phone can do more damage I say. They say it doesn't need full charge to 100, 80 or less is sufficient and to charge it from 20/30% not let it drain completely which I have bad habit of doing.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    my 12 pro max is currently on 80% with quite a bit of usage so far today

3-F69-E1-E3-D880-4-B2-D-9-E6-A-8-B83342-C2-A00.jpg

Mine is at 72% right now and i barely looked at my phone all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

InitialG wrote: »
    That's what mine should be at. Does using the old charger do any damage to the phone or anything?

Have you got just the standard iPhone 12? As in not the mini or the max? I had a quick look on MacRumours and it does seem that the battery life in the 12 isn't as good as the 11, seems to be to do with new features which are causing additional drain in the 12. Not really sure if there's anything you can do. The charger is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Have you got just the standard iPhone 12? As in not the mini or the max? I had a quick look on MacRumours and it does seem that the battery life in the 12 isn't as good as the 11, seems to be to do with new features which are causing additional drain in the 12. Not really sure if there's anything you can do. The charger is irrelevant.

Yes I've the 128gb iPhone 12. Quite annoying. Ill put up with it, I just found it bizarre having these issues with the phone being brand new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Have a 12 since launch and find the battery excellent to be honest.

Currently at 85% and was taken off charge at 8:30 this morning...

Pacifico wrote: »
    Have a 12 since launch and find the battery excellent to be honest.

Currently at 85% and was taken off charge at 8:30 this morning...

I've a habit of leaving apps running in the background and apparently that's not what Apple advise(I was onto support). Checked how many apps were running in the background and I've over 10. Ill see does killing the apps make any difference. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I've a habit of leaving apps running in the background and apparently that's not what Apple advise(I was onto support). Checked how many apps were running in the background and I've over 10. Ill see does killing the apps make any difference. Fingers crossed.

Sounds like the Apple support advisor you spoke to doesn’t know what they’re talking about but having worked there for 6 years it’s not a surprise.

There is no need to close the apps from the multitasking tray unless the app itself is having an issue or it’s actually being used in the background such as Music app or whatever.

Apple’s own Vice President of software engineering advises against closing your apps to improve battery life: https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2017/12/4/16725812/force-close-apps-good-or-bad

https://9to5mac.com/2016/03/10/should-you-quit-ios-apps-answer/

From an Apple support doc: “ When your recently used apps appear, the apps aren’t open, but they're in standby mode to help you navigate and multitask. You should force an app to close only if it’s unresponsive.”

Was just going to reply saying similar, I’ve over 30 apps open and i rarely close them all. If I’ve an issue with an app, I’ll obviously swipe to close it and see if that fixes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I thought it be the iPhone 12 have a better charge than the iPhone mini based on different battery? When I order a new phone I opt on a 12 instead of the mini for that reason. I had the mini in mind but changed my mind.

Having too many apps or too many In background can drain it. Having a lot of internet pages opened in browser and 4g/5G drain it more than wifi. Bluetooth can be a culprit too.

Over use and over charging be only other issue but shouldn’t be the case for a new phone and with bigger storage should take extra apps and photos and updates etc. Back up everything that’s important even if on phone and a on the cloud.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Sounds like the Apple support advisor you spoke to doesn’t know what they’re talking about but having worked there for 6 years it’s not a surprise.

There is no need to close the apps from the multitasking tray unless the app itself is having an issue or it’s actually being used in the background such as Music app or whatever.

Apple’s own Vice President of software engineering advises against closing your apps to improve battery life: https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2017/12/4/16725812/force-close-apps-good-or-bad

https://9to5mac.com/2016/03/10/should-you-quit-ios-apps-answer/

From an Apple support doc: “ When your recently used apps appear, the apps aren’t open, but they're in standby mode to help you navigate and multitask. You should force an app to close only if it’s unresponsive.”

Well that was a total waste of time :(. Thank you for clarifying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Well that was a total waste of time :(. Thank you for clarifying that.

No hassle. A lot of the people working there haven’t a notion of what’s going on but because they work for Apple, people take their word as gospel.

Mine is at 72% right now and i barely looked at my phone all day.

Is that really that bad though? 72% having been off charge from 7am to 5pm is maybe a little lower than you might like but I'd argue 28% battery loss for 10 hours isn't crazy battery drain. What kind of screen on time are you showing?

Mine is 67% off charge just before 9am so lets 11 hours or so and screen on time of 3h10m.

As other posters have said, background apps have absolutely no impact on battery life, if I recall correctly it wastes more loading the app from scratch as the entire app loads whereas if its in the background the RAM is handled in such as a way as to mean quicker load times when you re-open the app. This used to be really obvious in the older iPhones as you'd open an app, it would look like it was open but you couldn't interact with it until the app actually loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

starlit wrote: »
    I thought it be the iPhone 12 have a better charge than the iPhone mini based on different battery? When I order a new phone I opt on a 12 instead of the mini for that reason. I had the mini in mind but changed my mind.

Having too many apps or too many In background can drain it. Having a lot of internet pages opened in browser and 4g/5G drain it more than wifi. Bluetooth can be a culprit too.

Over use and over charging be only other issue but shouldn’t be the case for a new phone and with bigger storage should take extra apps and photos and updates etc. Back up everything that’s important even if on phone and a on the cloud.

Sorry there's a lot of misinformation here.

Firstly on Apple, when you multitask, it does not keep them running in the background. It just freezes where you were and when you go back it just picks up where you were.

Internet pages open in browser also has zero impact on battery as you only access one page at time.

Bluetooth is now low energy and does not have a major impact on battery life and has not done so for years.

As for 4g and 5g yes it uses battery more than wifi but what's the point in having a mobile phone service if you don't use what you're paying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

iOS 14.5 (currently in Beta) will have the ability to unlock using Face ID while you're wearing a mask, once you're also wearing an Apple Watch.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/everything-new-in-ios-14-5-beta/

The new weather widget isn’t great.

The new weather widget isn’t great.

It isn't overly accurate either. Could be raining where I am for 20 minutes and the widget says its cloudy. Surely these widgets are in sync with real time?

This is probably not specific to iOS 14, but is there any way to get photos received on iMessage to auto save to gallery?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

14.5 public beta 1 is out

• Advertisement

Are the public betas relatively stable now? I was signed up before iOS 14 but it was buggy so once the main release came I switched back to standard updates, I really want the Apple Watch + Face ID feature in 14.5 though so think I will go back to public beta. I don't mind the odd bug here or there but the iOS 14 public betas were fairly messy at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Are the public betas relatively stable now? I was signed up before iOS 14 but it was buggy so once the main release came I switched back to standard updates, I really want the Apple Watch + Face ID feature in 14.5 though so think I will go back to public beta. I don't mind the odd bug here or there but the iOS 14 public betas were fairly messy at the start.

i installed it on my ipad last night and it will disconnect from my homepod minis after a few mins , i would hold off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

When can be expect 14.5 public? Need that Apple Watch update myself my head is wrecked with the masks.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    When can be expect 14.5 public? Need that Apple Watch update myself my head is wrecked with the masks.

Its available now, I've bitten the bullet. The mask/Face ID issue is worth the bugs for now. Downloading it now.

Leftwaffe wrote: »

I read somewhere the end of March for general release

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Looking for a specific all in one widget (time, date, battery) like the attached. Have Widgetsmith but can't see one with all the information packed into one. Any suggestions for others?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

rizzee wrote: »
    Looking for a specific all in one widget (time, date, battery) like the attached. Have Widgetsmith but can't see one with all the information packed into one. Any suggestions for others?

It says “Color Widgets” underneath it. When you search for that on the App Store, a custom widget creator app shows up by that name. Have you tried that?

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/color-widgets/id1531594277

It says “Color Widgets” underneath it. When you search for that on the App Store, a custom widget creator app shows up by that name. Have you tried that?

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/color-widgets/id1531594277

You legend. I didn't even cop that. Downloaded and set. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

rizzee wrote: »

How many times does that phone need to tell you the battery, date and time :pac:

two days, two dates, three times, two battery indicators

• Advertisement

How many times does that phone need to tell you the battery, date and time :pac:

two days, two dates, three times, two battery indicators

Saves swiping down for battery and I don't have clock/calendar on the home screen.. Everything in the app library for me bar a couple of apps. Plain and simple :-)

Advertisement