Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Online interview for Civil Service role

• 22-06-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 Idjit

Due to Covid measures, my upcoming interview for promotion (to HEO) will be carried out in a video call. I've never done a video call interview before and any resources for HEO interviews specifically are related to in-person situations.

I know there are lots of resources for video interviews online but very little on Irish Civil Service interviews specifically.

Is anyone here in a similiar situation to me, or have you had a Civil Service interview online during the lockdown? I'd love to hear any tips you have or even anecdotes of how it went.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ Smegging hell

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ BMHOPE

Practice answering possible interview questions while recording yourself.

Type out answers to potential question, with key words highlighted, like a prompt card.

Make a list of points you want to get across in the interview.

Bring in a topical issue such as civil service renewal, pressures of covid etc. Make sure you have the topic well researched though.

Dress in comfortable businesses clothes.

Prepare for sticky question such as _ how did that example show your delivery of results, was that not just doing your job.

As there won't be the preparation and presentation exercise , there may be more questions that would normally be covered by doing this, such as undermotivated staff, problems with deadlines, budget constraints etc.

Have your examples well prepared with a back up, play devils advocate and tear example apart to see how you would cope, if they rubbish them. Remember to breathe and everyone is in the same boat. Management of staff, delivery of results, leadership skills and communication skills are all important. If examples are old, think about how you use those skills that you learned in your current role. It is really an essay on I am the best person for the job because....

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ MrsBean

I recently completed (and passed) a video-call interview for HEO if you want to send me a message and ask any specific Qs about the video interview or HEO comps in general.

It was obviously strange not to make direct eye contact with people but much of the same standard formalities still apply; address each board member by name when speaking with them, don't interrupt them, smile etc. Competencies and questions-wise, the format will remain the same as face to face interviews so it's just about adjusting to the different surroundings. The interview chairperson will talk you through how the interview will go 'Billy will start by asking you about X and Y, Mary ask you about Z and W and I'll ask you about A and B'. Make sure you're sitting comfortably in a well-lit space and have plenty of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 Idjit

Hi, yes that link was sent with my invitation to interview. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭ Augme

Wear trousers that match what you have on top. Even just make sure to wear pants would be a good start for some people. But seriously, don't make the mistake of just dressing up about the waist and just lashing in a tracksuit on the bottom thinking they will never see. I've seen too many people caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭ Augme

Wear trousers that match what you have on top. Even just make sure to wear pants would be a good start for some people. But seriously, don't make the mistake of just dressing up about the waist and just lashing in a tracksuit on the bottom thinking they will never see. I've seen too many people caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ✭✭✭ Susan O

Just wandering if anyone has done the online HEO interview "in Irish"? If so, does this interview follow the same format as the English interview ie questioned on the same competencies only in Irish? If anyone has any previous experience of an Irish interview I would be grateful for any tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭ whampiri

Susan O wrote: »
    Just wandering if anyone has done the online HEO interview "in Irish"? If so, does this interview follow the same format as the English interview ie questioned on the same competencies only in Irish? If anyone has any previous experience of an Irish interview I would be grateful for any tips.

Rinne mise ceann do EO blianta o shin agus bhi se an diffiriuil ar fad. Bhi na cheisteanna ana gheneralta, chomh suil leis an teastas sionsearach. Dean cleachta ar do mo chionniolach. Muna bhfuil ghaeilge chun a bheith a usaid agat sa post gach la, shilim nach bheidh na cheisteanna ro dheacair ach mar a duirt me, rinne mise mo cheann blianta o shin.

Ma bhfuil tu ag iarraidh post san Oirreachtas, beidh na cheisteanna I bhfad nios deacaire.
    (Ta bron orm ma bhfuil buttuin deanta agam sa piosa thuas. Nil mo ghaeilge scriofa go maith agus nil fada cuirthe is teach agaim toisc go bhfuil me a scriobh ar mo fone poca)

Advertisement