Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Distancing on Trains

Options
  • 18-06-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All, I and a few friends are travelling to Dublin for a few nights at the start of July as we cannot get a refund for accommodation that we had booked before all this happened. Having all booked tickets on the train it says that you cannot prebook seats beside eachother and you just pick a seat when getting on with certain seats taped off to enable social distancing. Considering the group of us going up are sharing a living space should there be a problem if we sat together for the 3 hour train journey?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

HI OP

do you think a ticket inspector or other IE staff member can tell who live together when not on the train and who doesn't and say as sure it will be grand? your either following the train guidelines or your not.

So can you not just follow the rules that are there for everyone for three hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

For the sake of other passengers, as long as you’re wearing a mask, you’ll be ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

HI OP

do you think a ticket inspector or other IE staff member can tell who live together when not on the train and who doesn't and say as sure it will be grand? your either following the train guidelines or your not.

So can you not just follow the rules that are there for everyone for three hours?

I can't speak for Irish Rail but I witnessed a Dublin Bus driver asking people to move who were sitting together. I would say your best bet would be to sit together and if told to do so by staff member.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The reasoning behind the spacing is so each seat is at least 2 meters from other passengers, if you all sit in a 4 bay seat you will not be 2 meters from other passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You can't social distance on a train, period. Not unless you run it at 20% capacity or something.

We, a party of 3, travelled Galway - Kildare recently, booked the tickets online the previous eve, with 'names-on-seats'.

A 3-carriage train turned up, all the seat label signs were turned off. At least half the train has signage on seats to stop them being used (yellow signage). Couldn't actually find space for 3 people to sit, asked the conductor (conductress ??), and she said as long as we were from the same household we'd be fine.

Sat in a 4-seat table that was all signed up in yellow - the alternative was to stand in the hall - to Kildare ? - and remember we were the first stop out of Galway........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

how did people walk past to the loos and be 2 metres from you?

Isambard wrote: »
    how did people walk past to the loos and be 2 metres from you?

do you know the difference between passing someone on the street /train (wearing a mask) and sitting in close proximity with them for an extended period of time?

No?

do you know the difference between passing someone on the street /train (wearing a mask) and sitting in close proximity with them for an extended period of time?

No?

makes no sense. Sitting in proximity to them isn't what I mentioned.

i thought you were trying to invalidate the need for social distancing on public transport by trying some what-aboutry.
    apologies if i mistook a genuine question for one with an ulterior motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hi All, I and a few friends are travelling to Dublin for a few nights at the start of July as we cannot get a refund for accommodation that we had booked before all this happened. Having all booked tickets on the train it says that you cannot prebook seats beside eachother and you just pick a seat when getting on with certain seats taped off to enable social distancing. Considering the group of us going up are sharing a living space should there be a problem if we sat together for the 3 hour train journey?

Sit together, you will be ok. Others do it.

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Sit together, you will be ok. Others do it.

Hilly bill says "you will be ok" - so dont worry about anyone else, like the staff or the immo compromised on the train. the last poster thinks you will be grand and who thinks about anyone but themselves?

Hilly bills says "Others do it." so there you have it someone else isn't washing their hands, why should you? someone else is not social distancing - why should you. someone couldn't be bother showing basic respect for the staff of IE, so why should you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

holy crap. Just saw a train absolutely packed to the gills like the old rush hour on its way into town from Maynooth. Full of Maynooth students. Almost none of them wearing masks. Only 4 carriages. Thankfully I was going the other way and it was an 8 carriage train.

Isn't Maynooth College shut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Isambard wrote: »
    Isn't Maynooth College shut?

Many students still live there and indeed they must have been on the way to the coast because of the good weather.

On my return journey groups of teenagers acting like nothing is different since pre Covid. I had 2 people sit beside me At different times despite the do not sit sticker. They were not wearing a mask and I’m pretty sure they thought I was a weirdo for wearing one. We have a long way to go to change mindsets.

the sooner wearing a mask in public becomes the norm the better . To hear people on the radio sounding off about it, can't see it happeneing too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hilly bill says "you will be ok" - so dont worry about anyone else, like the staff or the immo compromised on the train. the last poster thinks you will be grand and who thinks about anyone but themselves?

Hilly bills says "Others do it." so there you have it someone else isn't washing their hands, why should you? someone else is not social distancing - why should you. someone couldn't be bother showing basic respect for the staff of IE, so why should you?

A slight over reaction and taken out of context especially when washing hands wasnt mentioned but hey, nice try.

used to illustrate the fallacy of your 'others will do it' argument.

does not make it right, does not make it acceptable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Luas this afternoon - maybe 30% masked

Train after - maybe 95%

Gateline staff may have been asking but I didn't hear cause everyone going through at that time had one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How come the drivers aren't opening the doors at each station, so passengers have to touch the buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

How come the drivers aren't opening the doors at each station, so passengers have to touch the buttons?

They can't do it like the Luas can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement