Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

What sea Kayak to buy? - budget 3 - 500 approx

• 18-06-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭ worded

1-2 people. Ability to move seat to middle important so.

Something with a resale value in case I don’t fully take to the sport, but it’s likely I will

I have a few hours of Canoeing experience and can swim well.

Open to inflatable

I’m clue less what to buy ....

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭ tphase

Join a club, do some training courses and try out as many different boats as you can.
    Double your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭ worded

tphase wrote: »
    Join a club, do some training courses and try out as many different boats as you can.
    Double your budget.

Thanks for the advise

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭ pullandbang

worded wrote: »
    1-2 people. Ability to move seat to middle important so.

I'd assume you're going to need a Sit On Top rather than Sit In (though I'm open to correction).
    Have a look at Darrens Kayaks in Cork. He has a huge range and you get to try them at sea. Linky - https://www.darrenskayaks.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭ tritriagain

I'd assume you're going to need a Sit On Top rather than Sit In (though I'm open to correction).
    Have a look at Darrens Kayaks in Cork. He has a huge range and you get to try them at sea. Linky - https://www.darrenskayaks.com/index.html

Not an expert by any means but I have a 16ft sea kayak and a sit on top Bic kayak. Depending on what you want it for. When I bring my daughter with me I give her the sea kayak and I can't keep up with her and I'm a powerful lad. If you want to mess around in a bay a sit on is more suited imo. If you want to explore along the coast and further a sea kayak is ideal. I paid 900 for mine over 10 years ago but they last forever so money well spent.

Advertisement