Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RIP Garda Colm Horkan.

Options
  • 18-06-2020 12:44pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not shooting sports related, but given our disagreements and issues with AGS it may seem that the shooting community has little or no respect for AGS, but its important that we differentiate disagreements as opposed to hatred. We recognise that the majority are doing a difficult job and face real dangers.

Detective Garda Colm Horkan was shot, and later died as a result of injuries sustained, in an incident last night in Castelrea, Co. Roscommon.

The suspect, now in custody i believe, fought/struggled with Gda Horkan and somehow managed to wrestle away the Detective's weapon and shot him with it.

I for one recognise the job An Gardaí do and will acknowledge the dangers they can face which is only highlighted by this tragic death.

My condolences go to his family and colleagues on what must be surely be the worst day of their lives.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

I know we gripe about AGS on here, but that's really on a superficial level regarding licence applications, firearms policy etc. mostly and I'm very that sure we all support them, so I want to record my dismay at the killing of the detective in Roscommon last night.

I worked in the deep state during the Troubles and had access to very sensitive information on a recurring daily basis that put me - and more importantly, my family also - at risk, so I have a very small taste of what AGS have to go through and I appreciate the risks that Gardai are exposed to, if only from a very long remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

yubabill wrote: »
    I know we gripe about AGS on here, but that's really on a superficial level regarding licence applications, firearms policy etc. mostly and I'm very that sure we all support them, so I want to record my dismay at the killing of the detective in Roscommon last night.

I worked in the deep state during the Troubles and had access to very sensitive information on a recurring daily basis that put me - and more importantly, my family also - at risk, so I have a very small taste of what AGS have to go through and I appreciate the risks that Gardai are exposed to, if only from a very long remove.

Even though we may bitch and moan and occasionally take them to court, I think the vast majority of us on here have respect for the Gardai and wouldn't fancy their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Although i may disagree with them on firearms licencing practices etc.. , I have the utmost respect for them was very saddening news this morning
    May he rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I have endless respect for the boots on the ground Gardai. The type of people they have to deal with in gangland Ireland, who are extremely unpleasant and downright dangerous, isn't the sort of job i could do for any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

A midsummer night in a small Irish town and yet murder stalks the street. Sickening to think of this worthy man's life being snuffed out in a moment of madness. Let's hope the perpetrator faces the full rigour of the law after due process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

Shocked at what happened. Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues . I wouldn't do their job for any money. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I can only echo the comments above, while we would all have gripes about licensing or have thoughts on how firearms policy could be handled better, Gardai have a damn hard job.

They have to deal with worst parts of humanity day in, day out. Not sure I could deal with that.

RIP Garda Horkan, condolences to his family, colleagues and relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'll be the first to admit that I will call out and critique about how AGS handle our firearms laws or bad firearms handling practise.But I hold them in high respect for the utterly miserable job they do on the coalface.

It's the price we pay as a society that somtimes men who we entrust to carry a badge and gun to keep us safe,will pay the ultimate price.

My sympathies to his family and colleuges.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Gemma O'Doherty has proven herself to be a wonderful woman. :mad::mad::mad:

In response to Garda Colm Horka's shooting she tweeted "They shall reap what they sow".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Its sad that when a man dies in the course of doing his job, such as in a case like this, the know-alls appear out of the woodwork. The papers this morning full of washed up td's who knew a tragedy was going to happen, and their endless efforts to highlight this fact. Case in point, Dermot Ahern, Mr toughguy on crime, giving us his tuppence worth in the dailymail. It would make you blood boil. Is there nothing they will not use to get their mugs into the media ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement