Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

1707172737476»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭ Flinty997

As a fallback, the North road (behind the zoo) has more parking on it now its one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭ horse7

Due to Bloom and all that that goes with it there is little or no parking at the kids playground,its a public park ,OPW dont want anyone in the park with a car,but when a group pays for it they will accept the funds,probably more concerts on the way too. Gridlock here we go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭ Hurrache

Erm, first time park goer?

Lack of parking around the playground has zero to do with the imaginary bogie man of the OPW being the enemy of the car. Hell, even without Bloom it has always been difficult to find carparking there.

Its contradictory to say you want it to be a park, nature etc. Not be car park. Then run massive commercial events with massive car parking and traffic.

Doesn't mater anyway. There was a time when it was one of the few half descent playgrounds around. you could meet friends grab a coffee and kids could play together.

These days there are more and or better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭ Hurrache

It's still there, still decent, and you can still grab some nice refreshments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ Dr_Colossus

Cycling through the park this morning shortly after 06:00 I notice they've removed a number of the protective bollards separating the cycle lane on Chesterfield Avenue opposite Bloom to enable buses pull in and park. I guess it's only a cycle lane when it doesn't interrupt commercial operations, will be fun to see what it's like this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ Dr_Colossus

Protective bollards re-instated but cycle lane in an absolute mess with muck and gutter dragged across the lane from all the parked buses over the past few days. Luckily it was try this morning as otherwise could have been dodgy but surely cleaning the lane/road should have been a requirement after such disruption.

Other than that cycling through the park during Bloom was a joy and very pleasant, much better than previous years with the hard shoulders full of cars and pedestrians walking on the cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭ VonLuck

I still believe the 30km/h limit on the main avenue is crazy with the current road layout. Either implement some traffic calming measures or else revert to 50km/h.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 41,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder

this is glorious.

“I can’t keep at that speed as my engine won’t allow me. This is creating very long tailbacks and if my car cuts out (which it did today two times) the person behind me will crash into me,” said the writer, who added that the former 50km/h limit needed to be restored “as my car literally can’t drive” at 30km/h without stalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭ woody22

Brilliant. I’d love to see that guy get home and park every day. Drive up to his house in 4th gear and then stall the car at his front door

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Fantastic, more of this. A FG member complaining about more space being given to cyclists & peds. How surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ downtheroad

Came in to post this article too.

How does he drive in a car park or by a school if he can't drive at 30kmh. And when he's stuck in traffic he must have awful problems.

This should be posted in the After Hours thread on stupid people.

Well they've (and ye) chosen to highlight the stupid people over any genuine issues.

In internal emails, OPW officials warned that parking availability would likely remain a problem over the summer months.

The solution is simple, if you can't get parking go somewhere else, or don't go in a car. End of problem. Works for me.

Advertisement