Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth Robbed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Just listening to Wooly Parkinsons GAA Hour from last Monday and yes you've guessed it one of their topics of discussion was that Leinster final. Wooly actually asked Sludden to come on the show but he declined the offer. Wooly saying there was no need to have Fitzpatrick and Sheridan on the Sunday Game as only Sluddden can answer some questions that remain to this day. A Laois, Derry and Mayo man on the show and they slated Meath for not having the decency to offer up a replay. Looks like there's more than myself interested in it still. The most infamous day in GAA history as far as i can remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Couldn't put myself through that again by watching that.

Watching the telly later I saw a few well known Drogheda Utd "fans" used to causing trouble at the soccer matches in the thick of the trouble, probably their first time at a GAA game! (Not a dig at the Drogs, I'm one myself)

What absolute ****ing nonsense. At least 3 of the people involved (were charged by the Gardai) were from the Dundalk area and are well known in their GAA clubs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I was shouting for Meath v Cork in 87, 88, 90 and 99. I always respected Boylan's Meath teams. Hard but fair. Hand on heart thats the truth. And i'd imagine a lot of people did too. But that fiasco i lost a lot of that respect for Meath.

As for the game the referee didn't play sufficiant minutes of extra time i honestly cannot recall that but if it happened to Dublin you'd be disappointed but it's hardly in the same bracket as what happened to Louth.
    Good for you. You'd be in the minority though.
    It was the 2009 Leinster quarter final and Mark Davoren got his cruciate ligament injury in the second half. He was down for 6 or 7 minutes yet the referee only played 3 minutes injury time at the end of the game (after signalling only 2). There was at least an extra 5 minutes left which was plenty of time to get the 2 points required to draw level (and we actually scored a point as the referee blew for full time).

My question was, where do you think the line should be? Which poor refereeing decisions that affect the game deserve a replay and which don't? Again, Galway were knocked out that same weekend thanks to a penalty that should not have been awarded. Should that game have been replayed?

I know I probably would have been for offering a replay had I not witnessed the scenes that followed the game. I'm sure the Meath players were of the same opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

For a county that has so little celebrations in GAA in recent years it would have been a major GAA success story to have Louth as Leinster champions and raise the profile in the wee county. Dundalk and Drogheda are two of the biggest town populations in the country outside of citys and with those numbers Louth should be doing better.
    From what i know of it Drogheda has very little GAA with 1 good team Newtown blues whilst Dundalk has many teams but none up to much, lot of Louth lads i knew would talk GAA but they were really soccer men , might be different up along the border and on the peninsula

Good for you. You'd be in the minority though.
    It was the 2009 Leinster quarter final and Mark Davoren got his cruciate ligament injury in the second half. He was down for 6 or 7 minutes yet the referee only played 3 minutes injury time at the end of the game (after signalling only 2). There was at least an extra 5 minutes left which was plenty of time to get the 2 points required to draw level (and we actually scored a point as the referee blew for full time).

My question was, where do you think the line should be? Which poor refereeing decisions that affect the game deserve a replay and which don't? Again, Galway were knocked out that same weekend thanks to a penalty that should not have been awarded. Should that game have been replayed?

I know I probably would have been for offering a replay had I not witnessed the scenes that followed the game. I'm sure the Meath players were of the same opinion.

I definately think matches that were won or lost by incorrectly awarding a score or a wide and where there is 100% evidence of this by being on tv should be considered for a replay.

The one game prior to the Louth v Meath game i can remember was when Kerry were playing Tipperary in a Munster final or semi final down in Killarney and coming up to half time Kerry were bizarrely awarded a goal after the ball blatantly went into the net through a hole in the side netting. It was on tv so everybody watching could see how obvious the mistake was. Tipperary should have refused to come out for the second half unless the goal was reversed. If it wasn't they should have packed up and gone home and demanded a replay.

I think Limerick minor hurlers were done out of a match few years back due to a wrong Hawkeye call. They lost by one point. That game should have been replayed. Maybe it was as i can't remember for sure.

Apart from those three examples i dont recall feeling any match should have been replayed. Basically when teams are badly done out of some big score or match defining score which is proven to be wrong.

But Meath v Louth was by far the worst case and why Meath never manned up and offered the replay i'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Despite lots of accusations to the contrary, Sheridan didn't cheat - he threw the ball up to kick it but didn't connect.
    Yes the goal was illegal (either it was carried over the line or thrown) but cheating implies an element of intent.
    Sheridan did great to react first and gather the ball after the two Louth players jumped for the same ball.
    The Louth midfielder would have been the real hero with his incredible block down when there was an empty net.
    Meath definitely had great luck in that passage - the kick in was an attempt at a point, a Meath player was in the square, two Louth players jump for the same ball and the illegal goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

LuasSimon wrote: »
    For a county that has so little celebrations in GAA in recent years it would have been a major GAA success story to have Louth as Leinster champions and raise the profile in the wee county. Dundalk and Drogheda are two of the biggest town populations in the country outside of citys and with those numbers Louth should be doing better.
    From what i know of it Drogheda has very little GAA with 1 good team Newtown blues whilst Dundalk has many teams but none up to much, lot of Louth lads i knew would talk GAA but they were really soccer men , might be different up along the border and on the peninsula

Whatever about the club scene, the county scene is slowly dying a death in Louth.

That Leinster final loss coincided with the rise of Dundalk F.C and the general feeling is a generation of youth has been lost to soccer. Louth need it’s urban areas to be stronger in Gaelic and the interest just isn’t there.

Drogheda again a very strong soccer town.

More than any other county Louth needed that 2010 Leinster title, really and truly set them back.

Without being overly negative, I feel they will be a weak gaa counry for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If a replay is granted, you’d be changing the whole spectrum and dynamics of a football game.

Say the next All Ireland Semi final, Dublin vs Cork. It’s 1-11 1-11 as the clock strikes 71 minutes of the 72 due to be played... Dublin are given a legitimate free near the sideline 49 meters from the opposition goal, ball is played in and flicked into the net but the umpires maintain a square ball. Replay shows the goal should have stood... Cork go up the other end, a point is scored from a dubious free, whistle goes, Cork are AI Champions.

Replay shows the Dublin goal should have stood and the Cork point should not have. Either way, Cork are presented with the trophy, celebrations across the city, county and further afield...

Meanwhile the Dublin management are filling in forms galore looking for a replay and under regulations the following afternoon, celebrations end with hangovers kicking in and also the truth, Cork need to earn their victory again, it’s a replay..

Sound fair ? No ? Because it ain’t.

What happens ON the pitch needs to stand. Where technology CAN be used to the betterment of GAA, the fairness in games... go for it, but it HAS to be done without changing the dynamic of games and their cannot be the rewriting of results, the cancellation of outcomes regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship

2010 was some crazy year in the championship

Cork vs Down All Ireland Final
    Dublin in the qualifiers
    Mayo and Donegal out in round 1
    Kerry beaten well in the AI QFs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

What absolute ****ing nonsense. At least 3 of the people involved (were charged by the Gardai) were from the Dundalk area and are well known in their GAA clubs

I recognised the people I saw, why would I lie about something like that about "fans" of my own team (Drogs) and county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I recognised the people I saw, why would I lie about something like that about "fans" of my own team (Drogs) and county?

My recollection of it was those charged were from Dundalk as well, but then more than two or three were on the pitch. Is this another case of Dundalk getting everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

cms88 wrote: »
    It's often over looked that Louth kicked that game away and should have been out of sight at that stage.

They played again the following year and Meath hammered them so that should have put an end to it.

It also annoyed me how for about 2/3 years after Fitzpatrick would still bring it up any time a call when againest Louth in games.

How is that relevant? Every weekend of GAA sporting action, there are matches where teams are wasteful, missing easy chances; giving the opponents a chance to beat them. And in many cases the games will ebb and flow and in the end there will be a winner or loser (or draw as the case may be). That's all part and parcel of the game - all within the parameters of a GAA game. What happened in the Meath/Louth game is nothing to do with that - there was an injustice at the end that robbed the game away from Louth.
    You suggest that they should ignore that because Meath beat them approx. 12 months later??? What has that to do with the injustice served upon them in 2010? There is no connection.
    It's easy to say from the armchair that a team should just get over it and move on. But when you're part of a panel that has put in months of commitment, making sacrifices in the remote chance (in Louths case) of winning a Leinster title, and then for that to happen, I'd love to see your reaction.

I definately think matches that were won or lost by incorrectly awarding a score or a wide and where there is 100% evidence of this by being on tv should be considered for a replay.

The one game prior to the Louth v Meath game i can remember was when Kerry were playing Tipperary in a Munster final or semi final down in Killarney and coming up to half time Kerry were bizarrely awarded a goal after the ball blatantly went into the net through a hole in the side netting. It was on tv so everybody watching could see how obvious the mistake was. Tipperary should have refused to come out for the second half unless the goal was reversed. If it wasn't they should have packed up and gone home and demanded a replay.

I think Limerick minor hurlers were done out of a match few years back due to a wrong Hawkeye call. They lost by one point. That game should have been replayed. Maybe it was as i can't remember for sure.

Apart from those three examples i dont recall feeling any match should have been replayed. Basically when teams are badly done out of some big score or match defining score which is proven to be wrong.

But Meath v Louth was by far the worst case and why Meath never manned up and offered the replay i'll never know.
    Then you're opening floodgates. Every close game would be pored over and any minor indiscretion in the run up to scores would be pulled out as reasons for replays. Again, Meath have been on the receiving end of some horrific calls over the years that definitely affected the outcome of games, but we never called for replays (bar a handful of supporters in the 2009 game).

The ball ended up in the net so it wasn't like the Kerry - Tipperary game you mentioned or the Laois - Carlow game in 1995 where the winning point clearly went wide (that one was replayed). The only other ones I remember was the 2016 Christy Ring Final where the referee had the score wrong and the 1998 Clare - Offaly game where not enough time was played. The minor game was a draw and Galway won after extra time. However, the Limerick "point" happened after only a couple of minutes and, if I remember correctly, Limerick were awarded an exceptionally easy free in the last minute of normal time to draw the game.

You say you'll never know how Meath never offered a replay? If Dublin won a title against, say, Kerry in similar circumstances and Kerry fans proceeded to assault your players on the field, assault Jim Gavin in the stands and hurl abuse and spit at every man, woman and child wearing a Dublin jersey in the aftermath of the game, would you feel very accommodating towards a replay? And, as I already mentioned, Louth players themselves admitted that they wouldn't have offered a replay had the roles been reversed. And you can guarantee that the reaction from so-called neutrals would have been completely different in that case.
    How is that relevant? Every weekend of GAA sporting action, there are matches where teams are wasteful, missing easy chances; giving the opponents a chance to beat them. And in many cases the games will ebb and flow and in the end there will be a winner or loser (or draw as the case may be). That's all part and parcel of the game - all within the parameters of a GAA game. What happened in the Meath/Louth game is nothing to do with that - there was an injustice at the end that robbed the game away from Louth.
    You suggest that they should ignore that because Meath beat them approx. 12 months later??? What has that to do with the injustice served upon them in 2010? There is no connection.
    It's easy to say from the armchair that a team should just get over it and move on. But when you're part of a panel that has put in months of commitment, making sacrifices in the remote chance (in Louths case) of winning a Leinster title, and then for that to happen, I'd love to see your reaction.

It's relevant because, again, Sludden rode Meath for 73 minutes of that game. Louth were given soft free after soft free after their goal to put the game to bed. And they missed every one of them. Even Louth's goal came from a terrible refereeing decision in the lead up, though that decision came when Meath were in possession at the other end of the field which didn't excuse the terrible Meath defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

An AIG fan talking about sporting injustices, the bloody nerve..........

What would he say if his beloved financially doped outfit had to return to amateur status, give up extortionate funding and perpetual home advantages (and refs) and actually compete on a level playing field for once...............

TrueGael wrote: »
    An AIG fan talking about sporting injustices, the bloody nerve..........

What would he say if his beloved financially doped outfit had to return to amateur status, give up extortionate funding and perpetual home advantages (and refs) and actually compete on a level playing field for once...............
    Don't start!

Then you're opening floodgates. Every close game would be pored over and any minor indiscretion in the run up to scores would be pulled out as reasons for replays. Again, Meath have been on the receiving end of some horrific calls over the years that definitely affected the outcome of games, but we never called for replays (bar a handful of supporters in the 2009 game).

The ball ended up in the net so it wasn't like the Kerry - Tipperary game you mentioned or the Laois - Carlow game in 1995 where the winning point clearly went wide (that one was replayed). The only other ones I remember was the 2016 Christy Ring Final where the referee had the score wrong and the 1998 Clare - Offaly game where not enough time was played. The minor game was a draw and Galway won after extra time. However, the Limerick "point" happened after only a couple of minutes and, if I remember correctly, Limerick were awarded an exceptionally easy free in the last minute of normal time to draw the game.

You say you'll never know how Meath never offered a replay? If Dublin won a title against, say, Kerry in similar circumstances and Kerry fans proceeded to assault your players on the field, assault Jim Gavin in the stands and hurl abuse and spit at every man, woman and child wearing a Dublin jersey in the aftermath of the game, would you feel very accommodating towards a replay? And, as I already mentioned, Louth players themselves admitted that they wouldn't have offered a replay had the roles been reversed. And you can guarantee that the reaction from so-called neutrals would have been completely different in that case.

It's relevant because, again, Sludden rode Meath for 73 minutes of that game. Louth were given soft free after soft free after their goal to put the game to bed. And they missed every one of them. Even Louth's goal came from a terrible refereeing decision in the lead up, though that decision came when Meath were in possession at the other end of the field which didn't excuse the terrible Meath defending.

We'll have to agree to disagree. But 10 years later this game still gets people quite emotive and the vast majority of the country will always feel Louth were dealt possibly the worst GAA injustice of our times. Pehaps on the 20th anniversary we'll muse over that sad day once again because it will never be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭This is it

These things happen in sport, all sports. The ref will miss a bad tackle, give a free or peno when there was none, or not give them. I felt for Louth, even as a Meath supporter.

I wouldn't have agreed with it but if the main men in the GAA awarded a replay then so be it, but i definitely don't think the county board or players should need to. No more than France should've offered Ireland a replay in the football, or *insert any number of sporting injustices*.

Advertisement