Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying in finglas

• 14-06-2020 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,
    Just wondering where people would recommend buying in finglas, currently in the corduff area (renting) and would like to potentially buy something that I could live in and rent out a room or two. Or should I just continue renting until I could afford a different area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Hi all,
    Just wondering where people would recommend buying in finglas, currently in the corduff area (renting) and would like to potentially buy something that I could live in and rent out a room or two. Or should I just continue renting until I could afford a different area?

Areas only become bad because of the few.
    If you buy in finglas get invoved with the local community.
    Work togeather to make the area better. If you let the few dictate then no matter where you go you will not be happy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Dublin County North.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

I wouldn't do it personally, however, if you are comfortable with it, go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

What's your budget? There's a beautiful house in glenhill available atm. Lovely quiet, mature estate. I wouldn't hesitate buying there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

it depends on where in finglas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

Hi all,

I just bought in Finglas a few weeks ago. Its an apartment in Premier Square which is on the edge of Finglas, really close to Glasnevin but you get the benefit of the Finglas pricing. Anyway, I really like it so far, its a really quiet gated development, haven't had any trouble and all the neighbors I've chatted to were lovely. Across the road is Finglas south, I have walked in there a couple of times, its a little run-down but it's grand and it actually has a nice park and a pitch and putt. To be honest, I personally wouldn't buy there as it's a little too close to the action, Finglas west I think is where a lot of the issue happen.

That Park you mention is Tolka Valley Park and you can walk right up to the top of Ashtown it's a lovely walk. From Ashtown you can access the Royal Canal and continue on out to Lock 12 (the twelfth lock).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭SpencerJC

That Park you mention is Tolka Valley Park and you can walk right up to the top of Ashtown it's a lovely walk. From Ashtown you can access the Royal Canal and continue on out to Lock 12 (the twelfth lock).

Yeah I walked a good bit of it there one of the sunny days, was very nice to be fair when the suns out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anywhere around the village and McKee avenue are grand and nice. Or the older houses where Bono is from, but I think they call them Glasnevin nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Yes it's the best value part of Dublin right now to buy and with the proposal to extend luas from Cabra to Finglas via the green space at St Helena's road, it's bound to gain a lot of value in the future as a commuter haven, same as what's happened in Cabra.

In terms of areas of Finglas, stick close to the village if possible and anywhere south of there. Go visit the area and have a good nose around where you're viewing the house before you buy anything. I love Finglas village, it has that mid 20th century brutalism and the tacky signage that you'd normally only see in touristy parts of Spain, real homely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Having lived in finglas most of my life it very much depends on where you are. Anywhere on the east side of the village, the Mckee and Jamestown side, are generally fine and fairly quiet. The other side of the village, west and south towards the Garda Station, tends to be a bit more lively and personally I would not go for anything on that side myself, but that's just my opinion.

The houses where Bono grew up are in Glasnevin North, very north but that's what they call them. I think they were Ballymum but the residents had it changed when the towers arrived.

Valley Park is grand and settled now too and eastwood across the road from it looks like a quiet little place too

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

Does anyone have any information on Glebe View in Finglas?

I see a nice looking house there that is within my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

Quiet road, very close to the village and public transport. Some rough spots nearby but that area is generally okay

What about North Road in Finglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Which end? Village or Lidl?

I saw a Duplex apartment in Heath Square on the North Road?

So that's kind of in the middle I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Finglas is a working class area, my friend lives in a house there since the 90s, she has no problem living there. House prices are not falling if you can afford to buy now you should buy a house, she lives in an ex council estate where 90 per cent of the houses are owned by the person who lives there.

Advertisement