Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotgun licence for own and rented land

• 14-06-2020 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

the brother is applying for a new shotgun licence to shoot crows and pigeon on his own crops. he wont be using it for anything other than his own crop protection. Some of the crops he has sown are on his own land but he also rents land to sow more. Question is on the FCA1 form on section 1 does he tick firearm cert or limited firearm cert. Also does he need to fill out section 5.2 land nomination . Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

eoin.d wrote: »
    the brother is applying for a new shotgun licence to shoot crows and pigeon on his own crops. he wont be using it for anything other than his own crop protection. Some of the crops he has sown are on his own land but he also rents land to sow more. Question is on the FCA1 form on section 1 does he tick firearm cert or limited firearm cert. Also does he need to fill out section 5.2 land nomination . Thanks

I think it's best tick firearms cert. Also get a letter signed from thr landlord showing you have permission to shoot on his/her land. The limited cert is generally for your own land so I'm not sure how it's would work with rented land.

Also you can contact the local gunclub. They'd shoot the crows and pigeons for free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

eoin.d wrote: »
    Question is on the FCA1 form on section 1 does he tick firearm cert or limited firearm cert.
    I'd agree with pigeon man and recommend he tick firearm certificate and get the "full" license. Limited certificate has too many variables and considering you go through the same process as a full application why not get the full license.
    Also does he need to fill out section 5.2 land nomination . Thanks
    Only if he is applying for the limited certificate. If he wants to go for the full license then ignore section 5.2.

If it helps here is a guide to filling in the FCA1 if its a whole and new application:
    • Section 1 - Tick Firearm Certificate and in the box below tick "I have not held a certificate for this firearm in the previous three years".
    • Section 2.1 - Fill in all the personal information stuff. Everything.
    • Section 2.2 - Give name, address and phone number for your GP, and any other doctor you might be visiting.
    • Section 2.3 - You need two people to vouch for you. Supply their name, address and details in this section.
    • Section 2.4 - Tick the boxes as appropriate.
    • Section 2.5 - Supply details of your competence, or if you've done the course just write "Copy of cert attached". Then attach a copy.
    • Section 3.1 - Fill in the details of the gun you've bought here. All the info will be on the docket the dealer gives you.
    • Section 3.3 - Write in the dealer PULSE ID. It'll be a 4 digit number that the dealer uses. Then his name.
    • Section 3.5 - Tick "YES", and then "NO". Make sure you have at least a trigger lock bought for the gun. This is the minimum security needed.
    • Section 4.1 - Tick English, and below that write in the amount of rounds you want. I'd apply for between 250 - 500 rounds at least, more if you want.
    • Section 4.2 - Tick Hunting. No need for target shooting and you might be required to show membership if you do. You can tick it if you want, it's your choice and as clay pigeon shooting is not classed as target shooting membership to a range/club is not entirely necessary but its a hassle if your brother is not going to do it at all.
    • Section 5.1 - Tick yes (no need for licenses as your firearms license covers you and you're not shooting deer, only pheasant)
    • Sign it, and date it.

You will need to supply extra information for some sections. You want to be as detailed as possible, but without writing a novel. On a separate piece of paper, labelled "Additional Information" fill in the following:
    • Section 2.1 - Previous Address: While there is no amount of previous addresses a rule of thumb i use is the last 30 years or addresses since i got my first gun. Whichever suits you. If you move around a lot use your own discretion.
    • Section 2.5 - Proof of Competence: Please see attached competence certificate (then give in a copy of the cert) or if its his second/thirs, etc license, no need for anything.
    • Section 3.5 - Secure Storage: List the security measures you have including trigger lock and safe is you have it. DO NOT list something you don't have..
    • Section 4.1 - Amount of Ammo: I am requesting 500 (example) rounds of ammunition for the following reasons:
      • Empty (fired) casings are treated the same as live rounds as per the Firearms Act, 1925 where it states that "ammunition for a firearm is any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition", with component part being the bullet, the casing, the propellant or the primer. So my license must allow me to have a high enough limit to have both live and fired rounds in my possession.
      • Buying bulk rounds of ammunition to reduce trips to dealer and for cost implications.
      • Distance to dealer being excessive & inconvenient.
      • Appropriate amount of various cartridges for various species and game.
    • Section 4.2 - Reason for Gun: The firearm will be used for hunting of wild animals/birds during the open seasons in accordance with the 1976 Wildlife Act, and the control/culling of vermin. Supply a copy of any licenses necessary (deer, etc) and for the purpose of crop protection during open season and under derogation.

Ignore sections:
    • 3.4 (if your Brother is subbing the gun then it's a different format to fill out the FCA1).
    • 4.3 (Shooting club/range)
    • 4.4 (Training certificate will be needed for first gun, but not subsequent guns)
    • 5.2 (Only for limited certificates which i recommend against)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭eoin.d

Thanks very much for the replies lads. Great information as always on here.
    Alot of damage been done by crows this year. Normally along with shooting we put up scarecrows and bangers but some neighbours near the rented land have been complaining about noise, so we had to remove the bangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Just a quick question.I am filling out my first application and have a landowners permission form filled out.Do I just attach it to the application
    Thanks as always

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Just a quick question.I am filling out my first application and have a landowners permission form filled out.Do I just attach it to the application
    Thanks as always

Yes tick box for hunting and attach a copy of the permission. Keep the original in your possession

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

Cheers

Advertisement