Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air to water heat pump running costs

• 08-06-2020 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I am buying a new build and it is going to be fitted with an air to water heat pump, the house will have an A rating. I am drawing up a future monthly budget and I am finding it hard to find the running costs of an air to water heat pump? I also don't fully understand the "Day and Night rate"?

If anyone could help in any way whatsoever it would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

How long is a piece of string ;-)
    hard to advise on costs, lot of factors to be considered ...... size of house, number of occupants, final BER rating, amount of hot water being used.
    re Day and Night rate: ESB, or whoever, have 2 options for charging for units of electricity... just picking random numbers below for the example....E.G.:
    Option 1: Flat rate of 12cent per Unit, regardless of time of day that Unit is being used
    Option 2: A lower cost per Unit at night, e.g 8cent per Unit from 11pm to 8am and a higher cost per Unit during the day, e.g. 14cent per Unit from 8am to 11pm.
    Idea of "Day and Night" rate is you run all your appliances (washing etc) after 11pm and so avail of the cheaper rate. if you had the old storage heaters running at night, it was a good fit.
    With a Heatpump, the principle is potentially it is on the whole time.
    So .... (and I'm not an expert) I dont believe a day and night rate are of much benefit and would just go with the flat rate.

I had previously posted our Electricty costs, but as above .... this is quite subjective: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113239034&postcount=5

Advertisement