Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Savings for travel and long term house buying

• 05-06-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭ Meglamonia

Hi,

I'm in my mid twenties and up till now have only been saving in a credit union with little return on that which I knew going into but was still a way to regularly save. However I'm looking for some advice on what savings accounts would suit my needs for what I want to do going forward. I have my heart set on travelling for 6-9 months in 3 years or so and would like to set up a savings account for that but there's so many and hard to know what to choose. I presume ones that you can't touch for a certain period or need to give notice are best.

Secondly I would be grateful if someone could give advice on best savings option for further down the line such as saving for a house which may be up to 10 years down the line. I am on 47k a year so I'm hoping i can put away a bit towards these goals.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ✭✭✭ tamova

I think KBC has the best interest rates for savings accounts in Ireland (https://www.kbc.ie/our-products/savings-and-investments).

For long term saving, you could keep saving with a bank account, or invest and try grow that money. Up to you really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭ CBear1993

Did you get anywhere in the end with this?

I'm with AIB and just have a saver account, but believe it's sh*te interest rates.

Would look at opening a credit union or another bank account, but for the interest rates you're getting is it really worth the hassle?

Advertisement