Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Registering a classic

• 25-05-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3 79capri

Hi, I brought back a car from the UK about 15 years ago to restore. I didn't declare it then as I was told by revenue that i could carry on and register it when it's finished. I'm nervous now as I don't know what they will charge me when I do register it. Anybody been through this,would appreciate any
    advice.

Cheers Paul.

Comments

• Administrators, Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭ Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi there,

I've moved your thread across to the Motors forum where people may be better able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard

is it in your name and more to the point ,do you have the UK registration doct (V5C) ?

My instinct says that your car was in the country when the current set of regs came about .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 79capri

Isambard wrote: »
    is it in your name and more to the point ,do you have the UK registration doct (V5C) ?

My instinct says that your car was in the country when the current set of regs came about .

Hi, Thanks for replying, I do have the UK V5C and my name is on it.

Paul.

that's good.

I suppose you'd have to throw yourself on the mercy of the Revenue. In theory there would be a charge for late payment of VRT even though you actually can't re-register it until it is a going concern. It's a percentage of the VRT x the delay, the VRT would be €200 so it wouldn't be a vast sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 79capri

Isambard wrote: »
    that's good.

I suppose you'd have to throw yourself on the mercy of the Revenue. In theory there would be a charge for late payment of VRT even though you actually can't re-register it until it is a going concern. It's a percentage of the VRT x the delay, the VRT would be €200 so it wouldn't be a vast sum.

That's a relief, I can live with a couple of hundred euro, I thought it might run into thousands given the time I have it.
    Thanks for the reply,appreciate it.

Paul.

• Advertisement

don't take it as gospel, it's an opinion,only Revenue can give you the actual position.

Advertisement