Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoom zoom

Options
  • 19-05-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭

Annual company get-together has been cancelled, for obvious reasons, but we're planning to have an online get-together of some description, and yours truly has been put in charge of organising the games. I am coming to you guys for suggestions.

There are about thirty people in the company, maybe only half/third of that will be available for games at any one time. Internet connections may not be amazing for everyone (I've tried playing Jackbox games with friends on Twitch, for example, but my internet can't really handle it, and the lag makes it unusable.)

We are all pedants by profession, so something relatively straightforward might make my life easier.

I don't know how long we will have dedicated to games, but I would rather have too many options than too few - that said, I don't want any games that will require a massive time commitment. I am going to try to organise, say, 2-3 hours' worth of games every evening for a week. (Won't actually be evening, timezones are something I'll have to work on - people are spread all around the world.)

We communicate regularly via Slack/Zoom/whatever (and therefore we also have DMs), but these calls work best if only one person is talking at a time - eg, we love social deduction games, but Werewolf is a bit too hectic to discuss online - if there is a much simpler similar game, please let me know.
    (Edit: if visual video is needed, probably best if only one person at a time, due to connectivity issues - eg. charades might work, but not games where you have to see multiple people at once).

I think the games will be "live" - as opposed to correspondence games which take days, but I might try one of those too, we'll see.

The people are all pretty good fun, but ranging in ages from 20s to 80s, so trivia and Cards Against Humanity are probably out.
    Computer-based stuff as opposed to phone-based is best.

Codenames is at the top of the list - we play that a lot OTB and love it.
    I think Telestrations (combination of Chinese Whispers and Pictionary) should also work relatively straightforwardly via DMs.

Your thoughts/suggestions most welcome.

Comments

I’ve been part of a family quiz night but it hasn’t been my time to host yet. I was thinking of doing a who am I quiz of 2 celebs pictures mashed together. Now I’ve thought further and I want to put one of my families face with a celeb. Make it funner.

I haven’t worked out how to do the pictures yet or how I put them on zoom but I’ll get there :D

Oh, you could also do a “what line comes next” and have every player either sing or act out the next line if they know it. Assign each team a different one so you throw them the first line, they answer, everyone else listens and sniggers.

Or bingo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Or bingo :D

I came in here to suggest Bingo. Easy to play, generate cards here: http://bingocardmaker.co.uk/?#, call numbers using this:
    https://www.online-stopwatch.com/random-number-generators/online-bingo-caller/.
    You could also generate your own boards with stupid phrases everyone is known for. Or stupid office sayings like 'networking' and 'lets table this' or 'blue sky thinking'.

Otherwise you could try a taskmaster type game where everyone has to do tasks you set them. Keep them small and simple like 'first person to show me a blue sock wins' or 'make a paper aeroplane in 30 seconds'. You can google taskmaster to find some good tasks.

Or how about a pictionary type game where beforehand everyone gets a topic to draw and submits it to you. Kinda like Drawful on Jackbox. When your picture is shown on screen, everyone submits a possible title for it, and everyone gets points who picks the correct title. Bonus points for funniest suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Pictionary works well on zoom. Sharing the scribble screen

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Do what i do and steal the quizzes from here in the forum :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Thanks all. I'm going to avoid quizzes because it's too much work for me, the demographic is too varied, and I already peaked my lifetime's quiz endeavours when I organised a table quiz all about tables, so I'm never organising one again.

Telestrations is pictionary-y enough, I think, though I did enjoy playing Drawful (terribly) on Jackbox.

Bingo is a good shout. I reckon I'll make up cards of things people we work with (as in the clients, not coworkers) do that piss us off, and we can cross them off as we encounter them over the course of the week.

How does the "What line comes next?" thing work when one doesn't know the next line? I'm assuming that the age/nationalities/whatever will mean that most likely not everyone will be able to quote the same thing..

Advertisement