Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford - Rosslare Greenway

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

there's two routes by road to Rosslare basically, past Dublin Port and past Waterford and it's port. Why would anyone send a train to Rosslare rather than one or other of the other two?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Isambard wrote: »
    there's two routes by road to Rosslare basically, past Dublin Port and past Waterford and it's port. Why would anyone send a train to Rosslare rather than one or other of the other two?

Theoretically because it's closer to Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bonkey_Donker

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Europe I am not so sure about. If you go through the Irish Sea you go past Dublin. And Waterford and/or Cork are closer or as close if you go down around the Uk.

Del.Monte wrote: »

even if that was the case, there is no case for passing one port to get to another .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

even if that was the case, there is no case for passing one port to get to another .

Happens every day. Not every port offers the same routes

• Advertisement

Europe I am not so sure about. If you go through the Irish Sea you go past Dublin. And Waterford and/or Cork are closer or as close if you go down around the Uk.

Wouldn't be going past Dublin from Rosslare. The UK land bridge effectively could make Rosslare are better option than Dublin - Holyhead & land bridge.

you would by train..... either through Dublin or Waterford.

7000 trucks in Kent truck park might spoil the old UK landbridge idea.

you would by train..... either through Dublin or Waterford.

7000 trucks in Kent truck park might spoil the old UK landbridge idea.

A ship from Rosslare to UK or EU will past Dublin???

If queues, delays and excessive checks become the norm at UK ports the land bridge is a dead duck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Losing the UK Landbridge will only make a difference to roro traffic - which does not use rail. Containers already bypass the UK; and Rosslare doesn't even handle them.

There is no light on the horizon here for using a no-deal Brexit to restore the South Wexford line.

A deepening climate crisis and a move to land based tourism to the South West is more likely to bring back Cork-Swansea ferries than passenger services on the South Wexford either. If there had (ever) been a direct Cork line the entire thing would have been, and remained, more viable but that isn't what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Did Rosslare Harbour *ever* move railFreight of any sort even in the uttermost heyday of CIE freight activities? Kegs, livestock, anything? In my lifetime I think it has only operated passenger.

• Advertisement

livestock galore. Probably not a lot else. Guinness was brewed in West London in those days, so not kegs. Everything used to arrive/depart by train of course up to the sixties or thereabouts. Everything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Guinness Park Royal couldn't supply the entirety of GB, Dublin supplies roughly from Leeds north. But I'd suspect it all went from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭91wx763

L1011 wrote: »
    Guinness Park Royal couldn't supply the entirety of GB, Dublin supplies roughly from Leeds north. But I'd suspect it all went from Dublin

Park Royal brewery has been loads of yuppy flats for years. All beer is now made in Dublin.
    I think you meant "Dublin supplied roughly from Leeds north".

Yes, typo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Latest news from South East On Track: https://southeastontrack.com/business-case

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's a very well written document, I've no idea if the figures suggested are in any way realistic, but they've done a good professional job on the study.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 nigra

Whats going on with this trainline at the moment? I had thought that it was curtains for the line and all maintenance was to stop earlier this year with the bridge position being fixed .
    Then i was surprised (and glad!) to see online that the weedsprayer train was on it today. Has something changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

nigra wrote: »
    Whats going on with this trainline at the moment? I had thought that it was curtains for the line and all maintenance was to stop earlier this year with the bridge position being fixed .
    Then i was surprised (and glad!) to see online that the weedsprayer train was on it today. Has something changed?

No change here. The line was inspected and weed sprayed this week, as per Irish Rails obligations to the organs of State.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

No change here. The line was inspected and weed sprayed this week, as per Irish Rails obligations to the organs of State.

Irish Rail have no obligation under the new NTA agreement to weedspray, only to provide basic maintenance. I believe Southeast on Track lobbied Eamon Ryan and he agreed to ask Irish Rail to spray the line while the Strategic Rail Review is ongoing.

Wexford County Council have also paused development of the greenway plan and are growing increasingly annoyed at Waterford's lack of willingness to co-operate on this new greenway plan. My own opinion is that this argument is about to go on much longer, and a greenway alongside the Wexford - Rosslare Strand section of track, which will not impede on views or private property, will be agreed upon and built in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

man98 wrote: »
    . My own opinion is that this argument is about to go on much longer, and a greenway alongside the Wexford - Rosslare Strand section of track.

Do you mean Kilmokea (Barrow bridge)- Rosslare? Or is there a proposal for a greenway alongside the still operating railway?
    Or indeed a greenway on a route away from the railway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

man98 wrote: »
    Irish Rail have no obligation under the new NTA agreement to weedspray, only to provide basic maintenance. I believe Southeast on Track lobbied Eamon Ryan and he agreed to ask Irish Rail to spray the line while the Strategic Rail Review is ongoing.

Wexford County Council have also paused development of the greenway plan and are growing increasingly annoyed at Waterford's lack of willingness to co-operate on this new greenway plan. My own opinion is that this argument is about to go on much longer, and a greenway alongside the Wexford - Rosslare Strand section of track, which will not impede on views or private property, will be agreed upon and built in the meantime.

How is Waterford CC capable of being a hold-up on this one?

There's approximately 100 metres of the proposed route in County Waterford, maybe 10-15km (at very most) in Co. Kilkenny and the remainder in Co. Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

tabbey wrote: »
    Do you mean Kilmokea (Barrow bridge)- Rosslare? Or is there a proposal for a greenway alongside the still operating railway?
    Or indeed a greenway on a route away from the railway?

No I mean from Wexford Town to Rosslare Strand, which is a separate Greenway plan which isn't supposed to affect the running of the operational railway, this is at preliminary stages now.
    blackwhite wrote: »
    How is Waterford CC capable of being a hold-up on this one?

There's approximately 100 metres of the proposed route in County Waterford, maybe 10-15km (at very most) in Co. Kilkenny and the remainder in Co. Wexford

I don't get why they're blaming Waterford either, aside from Waterford's development plan I believe calling for the reopening of the railway, and regardless I don't think the plan is for the greenway to go beyond Belview, as that part is still in use. It sounds like excuse making exercise as the will to tear up the track dies down - unless they were hoping for funding. Kilkenny will have their Greenway to New Ross, and won't be too pushed about the prospect of a second one.

Advertisement