Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband north west Sligo

Options
  • 12-05-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi folks, anyone know a good satellite broadband provider in Drumcliff area of Sligo, no fibre and on old copper wire connection, not fun!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

Is Fibre not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was with Fastcom about 10 miles further north than you for a few years before getting fibre. It was about 10MB and I never had any problems except as time went on the speed wasn't enough. It all depends on "line of sight"

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redman77

Hi, no fibre in the area, cul de sac with only a few households who were not interested in getting the fibre, thanks for the reply though,

Thanks a mill, going to go with Fastcom if the line of sight is enough, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Worth looking at Westconnect too, I think they have coverage out that way...

http://www.westconnect.net/indexroi.html

• Advertisement

Thanks folks,
    Will give them a call today,
    Appreciate the help,
    Redman77

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

I was with Fastcom for about 4 years. They are ok for general surfing or streaming. Network tends to have problem with gaming and video calls. they tend to have lag spikes every couple of minutes. Network can suffer big time during bad weather. Still have friends that are on fastcom and still have the same trouble to this day.

I was with Westconnect for a couple of years and found them to be very good. Network wasnt as busy and didnt have the lag spikes that fastcom suffers from. They didnt have the same sort of degradation during bad weather or peak times getting slow.

Third option would be imagine. I only know of a couple of people with them and they say its good.

Shadow78 wrote: »
    I was with Fastcom for about 4 years. They are ok for general surfing or streaming. Network tends to have problem with gaming and video calls. they tend to have lag spikes every couple of minutes. Network can suffer big time during bad weather. Still have friends that are on fastcom and still have the same trouble to this day.

I was with Westconnect for a couple of years and found them to be very good. Network wasnt as busy and didnt have the lag spikes that fastcom suffers from. They didnt have the same sort of degradation during bad weather or peak times getting slow.

Third option would be imagine. I only know of a couple of people with them and they say its good.

Thanks a million, signed up to Westconnect, here's hoping, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

redman77 wrote: »
    Thanks a million, signed up to Westconnect, here's hoping, thanks again.

Sorry to hijack the thread but wondering how you are getting on with Westconnect? I've got Fastcom for the last 6 years and I'm struggling big time with them for the last few months.

Hi, no joy, couldn't get any provider to work, just my location to be honest,
    Hope you get sorted.
    Regards
    P

• Advertisement
Advertisement