Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Hurrache wrote: »
    when there's wind and frost, where will your bike be then.

Can't wait to snag a 2nd hand bargain for next to nothing around December

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

OPW reverses Phoenix Park gate opening plan
    ‘I think there is a strong case to keep the perimeter gates closed in perpetuity’
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/opw-reverses-phoenix-park-gate-opening-plan-1.4270945?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://twitter.com/phoenixparkopw/status/1268817159377113088

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Excellent.
    Now to make it a destination and stop it being used as a through way.

People to be allowed to travel anywhere in their county from Monday as Ireland moves to exit lockdown
    Good news, unless your living on the edge of your county with two other counties within 1km

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Presuming the new travel area includes your county and your 20km radius. Otherwise it's bollocks. (My 20km radius included most of Dublin and good chunks of Kildare, Meath and Wicklow).

Great news for the folks down in Cork though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Cork people are in heaven. Cork for Cork people only. :)

Edit: I’m not from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I live on the border of two counties. My house is in Meath, part of my garden and my shed are in Louth. Can I pick and choose my county depending on wind direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I think the 20km allowance still exists in any direction.

Stark wrote: »
    Great news for the folks down in Cork though.
    Yes but don't forget that they have to live in Cork! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

People to be allowed to travel anywhere in their county from Monday as Ireland moves to exit lockdown
    Good news, unless your living on the edge of your county with two other counties within 1km
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    I live on the border of two counties. My house is in Meath, part of my garden and my shed are in Louth. Can I pick and choose my county depending on wind direction?

Do they not say if you're on the border of another county you can travel 20km into that county, and all the county you live in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to the IT link:
    It is understood people will be able to go up to 20km into another county
    so it doesn't just include your own county, but 20km beyond your county boundary?

when the distance limit was first introduced, it was specifically and explictly for exercise. now it just seems to refer to general travel, so the comms on this is a little confusing.

according to the IT link:

so it doesn't just include your own county, but 20km beyond your county boundary?

when the distance limit was first introduced, it was specifically and explictly for exercise. now it just seems to refer to general travel, so the comms on this is a little confusing.
    I'm going blind - I'm not seeing that quote. All I see for "20km" is the following...
    An increase in the travel limit from 5km to 20km was due to come into effect on Monday but now under revised restrictions people will also be allowed to travel anywhere within their own county, even if that is more than 20km from their home.
    Under phase two, which starts on Monday, the travel limit was due to increase from 5km to 20km and groups of up to four people - changed to six on Friday - can visit other homes, as long as they observe social distancing.
    A number of other measures are also set to be accelerated including the lifting of the travel limit altogether. The 20km limit was initially intended to apply until the end of phase 3 on July 20th, when people would be allowed travel around the country, but it is now expected to be lifted on June 29th, at the end of phase 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to the page history:

51 minutes ago
    Updated: 11 minutes ago

they obviously rewrote it.

I'm sure the News at 1 said it. It was a bit fast moving at the time so maybe there's still misunderstanding. I see some are saying it's 20kms into the neighbouring county, unconditionally, I heard originally it was on condition that you lived on the border between 2. I guess we wait for the official announcement.

Seems be 20km across the border for all
    Stay Local: You may travel within your own county, and up to 20 kilometres from your home if crossing county boundaries.

Deadly!
    My mum is just inside the 20km circle and it's her birthday on Monday.

Actually, just rethinking this,
    and up to 20 kilometres from your home if crossing county boundaries.

It actually does seem to be saying that if you're crossing the border, you can only do so up to a total of 20km from your house, i.e. if you live 25km from the border, you shouldn't cross it.

And then there's this
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1268907340897681413

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No there are no benefits. Seems like he has a grudge or an axe to grind.
    Not everyone can cycle to work though. This cyclist v motorists mentality is no benefit to anyone. Both need the road.

Some of you went on the defensive straight away. I think some picked me up wrong from the get go

People get slightly irked when the same tired oul clichés come up again and again.

You're right to say that not everyone can cycle to work (though eBikes are making more journeys feasible for more people), but not everyone can drive to work, not everyone can get the bus to work. There is no one solution for everyone, so we need to provide multiple solutions, focusing on sustainable transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

People get slightly irked when the same tired oul clichés come up again and again.

You're right to say that not everyone can cycle to work (though eBikes are making more journeys feasible for more people), but not everyone can drive to work, not everyone can get the bus to work. There is no one solution for everyone, so we need to provide multiple solutions, focusing on sustainable transport.

I understand that. That's why I commented that everyone needs to share the road. Wonder what traffic will be like come Monday. It's been great the past few months

• Advertisement

That's why I commented that everyone needs to share the road.
    i'm good with that. if the road is 3m wide, i get 1.5m of it and the motorist gets 1.5m of it.

i'm good with that. if the road is 3m wide, i get 1.5m of it and the motorist gets 1.5m of it.

A 3m road would be extremely narrow. Wouldn't work for lorries and the like. Cars either really

well, i meant the lane being 3m wide.

I understand that. That's why I commented that everyone needs to share the road. Wonder what traffic will be like come Monday. It's been great the past few months

I'm already missing the silence we enjoyed when walking or on the bike one of the positives of all of this, I think the evenings will be more or less the same as now but day time next week should be much busier with not only people returning to work but people driving into towns to go to the shops that are reopening.

It'll be interesting to see how public transport manages in places like Dublin city.

well, i meant the lane being 3m wide.

Oh ok. Makes more seem alright. Have you thought about contacting your Td? You could start an online petition and hand it in maybe?

just to explain; you used the phrase 'everyone needs to share the road' but my point was that some people demand much more of it than others, which stretches the concept of 'sharing'.
    rather aptly, i was just out for a walk and spotted two XC90s on a short stretch, each with a sole occupant in them. an XC90 is 7 foot wide (2140mm). the width of my bike is the same as my elbow to the tip of my middle finger.
    if someone chooses to drive a vehicle that large, their goal is not to share the road but to dominate it.

just to explain; you used the phrase 'everyone needs to share the road' but my point was that some people demand much more of it than others, which stretches the concept of 'sharing'.
    rather aptly, i was just out for a walk and spotted two XC90s on a short stretch, each with a sole occupant in them. an XC90 is 7 foot wide (2140mm). the width of my bike is the same as my elbow to the tip of my middle finger.
    if someone chooses to drive a vehicle that large, their goal is not to share the road but to dominate it.

I hope you did that on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Well even the manufacturers are egging on the whole domination thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The comments: "Now that is a weapon. Sure is!".

• Advertisement

I see your point. They are taking up all of the shared road. If you are in the cycle lane it you are in your designated area. If you were more rural and a vehicle passes you they should go out onto the opposite side of the road to give enough space to pass. 2 metres is believe I saw on the rsa ads?

Advertisement