Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Sense Solar Energy Monitor

• 09-05-2020 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭ digiman

I’m looking to buy an energy monitor to log and display stats of my electrical usage right down to individual device usage where possible.

I’ve got PV panels and an EV on a night rate tarrif, I’m not necessarily looking for this device to save me money in long term but that would obviously be nice. So in that regard I don’t mind spending a few hundred to get the right device. The best one I’ve seen so far is the sense solar. https://sense.com/solar/

Has anyone any other recommendations? Will the ESB smart meters that are coming out make this type of unit redundant or will it still be useful then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ Coltrane

digiman wrote: »
    I’m looking to buy an energy monitor to log and display stats of my electrical usage right down to individual device usage where possible.

I’ve got PV panels and an EV on a night rate tarrif, I’m not necessarily looking for this device to save me money in long term but that would obviously be nice. So in that regard I don’t mind spending a few hundred to get the right device. The best one I’ve seen so far is the sense solar. https://sense.com/solar/

Has anyone any other recommendations? Will the ESB smart meters that are coming out make this type of unit redundant or will it still be useful then?

I’ve used the Smappee Solar for the past three years and found it good. It incorporates per-device monitoring.

A quick check of Smappee’s website indicates they may have a replacement called their Infinity which requires professional installation but has far more functionality including for EVs.

I’d recommend emailing them to explore. I’ve found their device reliable and their support responsive.

The per-device monitoring doesn’t work well for items that aren’t easily switched on and off manually, repeatedly, like a heat pump or EV.

Smappee uses CT clamps to detect and so has that inherent level of inaccuracy.

I’ve found it great in general to have all the numbers at my fingertips, updated more or less in real time.

It probably won’t save you money but will help you shape habits, with environmental benefits.

Advertisement