Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R TT....Round 2 - 1 mile TT, Saturday May 30th *** please read post #1 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Haha. Shows my obsession with 5. Hadn't typed a 4 on a mile time before.

A year in the making! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

A 5.32 as my strava mile pb, delighted with that as its my first attempt at a pure mile and no sandbagging as 2 seconds outside my prediction. Lots of learn there and again going out way way too fast on the first third, middle section was tough with a head wind and had to hang on for a breathless finish with no air left in the lungs. Definitely room for improvement if I was to do it again. Well done for organising lads, a great focus for the last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

5:04 for me. I went a bit too heavy on the wine Friday night so was a bit ropey doing it but find that hangovers seem to affect my endurance more than my speed so wasn't too worried. Picked a flat marked out and back course but it was quite windy so decided to do half mile into the wind first...plan was for 75/75 sec per 400 into the wind but hit 72 for the first which was too fast into a strong wind and I knew i would pay later on....although 400m in you still think I feel fine, I can do this! 180deg turnaround at halfway was slow, like an oil tanker turning, missed the split so had no idea was I on target. Was solid on the second 800 but never really seemed able to elevate the effort beyihd 5k effort which was because of the hangover i think. Finished 5:04 after a target of 4:56 so was reasonably happy. Not in a heap afterwards and heart rate never got above 5k effort...1 mile TT on your own not on a track is never going to be the time to set a PB so actually very happy conisdering I'm above 6 weeks base training never running faster than 6min/ml pace

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Managed a similar 5.06 to my first attempt a couple of months back. Considering the first one was around a short loop three times, I'm taking the positives of this TT run as an improvement over that one. Again started too fast, struggled badly in the middle and couldn't bring it back at the end. I was gasping for air at the end and my throat was so dry it hurt afterwards. On the bright side, my legs didn't really cramp up afterwards like last time and have recovered quite quickly since then.

Great job everyone putting yourselves through this pain today and surviving. Hope you're all proud of your achievement today in the sunshine. Thanks to the organisers for a great event - I just pity the next volunteers who will have 3 whingers at them for the next TT :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

Went out early as with my husband having to leave for work it was either go first thing or not til this evening. As I sit here drinking a cider I'm very glad I went early ðŸ˜
    Ran slowly to the local park where I could run a fairly flat course. I only bought a running watch a few weeks ago, a year after I started running, and I set it to do a mile workout with my aim of 7:59. Regretted it pretty quickly as the watch only showed me how many seconds I was ahead/behind target throughout, so I never knew what distance I'd covered/had left! There was no way I was starting again though 🙄😠If I'd known when I was coming up to the end I definitely would've given it more. Was gutted when I stopped the watch & saw 8:00 but when I realised I'd overrun by the time I stopped the watch & my actual time was 7:58 I was very happy 😊

Thanks to the lads for organising, have loved taking part. Well done to everyone on some amazing results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Happy to have that finished..
    Just outside my target of 5.15, I ran 5.20.. still pretty happy as I was nursing a hangover and spent all day Sat in the sun. Hardly ideal prep.. Thanks to the organisers and hopefully there's another event!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

An awful lot of talk of hangovers in these mini reports. Shower of dipsos! :pac:

(Neglected to mention the three espresso martinis I was forced to drink last night. No wonder I was up so early.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

5:09 for me. I was hoping for 5:04. I probably should have have it a miss after my day... I did it on a out and back. Surprisingly breezy, I opted for my first 800 into the wind and on my back for the last 800. I didn't push myself to make it hurt. 25°c out there if my circumstances were different I would have waited until 9pm. Thanks to the lads for organising it. I'll give a mile another crack over the summer on a day that's more suitable for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Speaking of drink...having a nice few dark fruit ciders from Aldi in celebration :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

MY BAD wrote:
    5:09 for me. I was hoping for 5:04. I probably should have have it a miss after my day... I did it on a out and back. Surprisingly breezy, I opted for my first 800 into the wind and on my back for the last 800. I didn't push myself to make it hurt. 25°c out there if my circumstances were different I would have waited until 9pm. Thanks to the lads for organising it. I'll give a mile another crack over the summer on a day that's more suitable for me

5.08 you ran..

• Advertisement

Speaking of drink...having a nice few dark fruit ciders from Aldi in celebration

Almost at the end of the bottle of wine

Almost at the end of the bottle of wine

I'd be on my ear after a bottle of wine :p

I'd be on my ear after a bottle of wine

Years of practice...... Wine endurance

Years of practice...... Wine endurance

Haha love it! Well deserved(especially for putting up with S) maybe even a 2nd bottle;)

Haha love it! Well deserved(especially for putting up with S) maybe even a 2nd bottle

Only getting started!

I'd have been lost without him to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

5.08 you ran..
    That's the chip time not the gun time :D

Only getting started!

Ah I know, I just love slagging him :D
    Well done to both of yis! A lot of work, don't envy yos at all!

MY BAD wrote:
    That's the chip time not the gun time

Going by the mile split on Strava. Not the added time after the mile elapsed.
    Ah I know, I just love slagging him Well done to both of yis! A lot of work, don't envy yos at all!

Haha if we didn't have slagging this would be a very dull place. Ah to be fair it's not that bad organising. B was pure dramatic about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

DNF for me, despite having two bites at the cherry. I had my first attempt at 9am but I only managed 0.49km @3:08 pace. My hamstrings were tight from the off and I didn't feel right, I rushed my warm up as I could see the path starting to get quite busy with walkers so I gave up and decided to give it another go in the evening.

I had my second attempt at 8pm and my legs were feeling better than in the morning after a proper warm up. The first 400m were fine but it was probably too fast at 73 seconds. The second 400m were very tough and I was slowing down, 76 seconds, I knew there'd be a struggle but it was happening too early. My watch beeped at 1km and I saw 3:09 and I just caved. I didn't have it in me physically or mentally to struggle on for another 609m.

Fairly disappointing end to the day but the last few weeks have been great with this TT giving me something tangible to aim for so thanks for organising it. I'll keep training for the sub 5 and have another attempt or two at it in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

7:53 for me so not quite the random target I picked but at least 4 seconds quicker than a similar outing 4 weeks ago. Slow progress.

Set off too fast, hanging on for the middle third and struggling, then pushed on for the last bit.

Sun and BBQ for the afternoon at least.

Well done all and thanks for organising!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

7:43, 7:42 or 7:40. Don't care! :D

I aimed originally for 9 because of the lousy 5k in the last TT. I did a few faster but short sessions in the last 2 weeks, the aim being to get into the faster rhythm without thrashing my legs. When I ran 5:44 for 1200m on Wednesday I began to think about the 7:57 I ran in the Goal Mile in 2005. 14 years ago!

Garmin shows a 1k split of 4:53 and the remainder at 4:36 pace (per km). So I'm quite happy with that.

My watch shows 7:43, but has me down for a PB of 7:42, while Strava has me down for 7:40?

Any of those are acceptable.

Some great times, I must say. Really impressed with ultrapercy's time. Showing some serious speed there!

Thanks to the organisers, and now I have to run over to Supervalu to get some more booze. :pac:

P.S. Late posting here because I spent most of the afternoon at the Swiftcare clinic in Dundrum with the wife, who tripped while running. :rolleyes: Nothing broken, fortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Woke at 6:45 and decided to just go and get it done. Wasn't brave enough to risk a breakfast. Warm up done and off I went.

Straight away I noticed my lace was undone. Couldn't afford to stop and lose time* so just went on hoping I didn't trip. Finished in 6:35, 5 secs off target but a mile pb. Happy with that.

*It wasn't til hours later I realised I could have stopped, tied the lace and started from scratch!

Thanks for organising guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

5:31 for me, a few seconds faster than the random target I nominated. I was correctly disqualified from this group as I refuse to join strava, but it was good to have a target to aim at even if I wasn't officially involved.
    Well done to the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Only getting a chance to sit down and write this now. Had planned out a route a couple of weeks ago but we got the keys to our new house on Thursday eve so that was no longer an option!! After a busy day Friday packing, lifting, carrying etc and poor sleep I woke up at 4am and though nah, I'll just rest but the stubborn cow in me decided to give it a bash anyway. Target was 8.44, slow by comparison of lots here but I wasn't even sure I could manage that. Up early, no breakfast, jogged down to Mallow Town Park with my pacer where I'd done a parkrun previously so knew there was a path and hoped it might stretch to a mile! We had a look around at the lovely river bed, very pleasant surroundings indeed. I had programmed 1 mile workout into the watch but left off the target pace as the watch drove me demented the last couple of weeks doing the workouts constantly beeping :rolleyes:. Waited for a few passers by to clear the path and off I went like a hare out of the traps at 7 min miles :D, feic it, go hard or go home right??! Pacer reigned me in, told me to slow down and relax which I did. The run consisted of some zig zagging around people chatting on the pathway, a narrow section under a bridge and another section over a small footbridge but it was all manageable, I could have pushed a bit more even though I was fairly flat out in the last 200m. My watch says 8.44 bang on so am very happy with that. 8.30 was probably doable on a day where I'd had better sleep and definitely with some better training. I really enjoyed that. Had to walk back for about 1/4 of a mile before staring a slow jog back home.

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the 1 mile training plan I found online even though I'm only two weeks into it. I'll carry on with the next 3 weeks of the plan and I'll do another TT on the same stretch of path and see where I am then.

Great to see SO many absolutely fantastic results, many of them with a 5 and some dipping under that!!

My route was -2 elevation in the end but I'm hoping the organisers aren't too strict with me given I had no opportunity to try it out before hand :o:o .

Another great TT thread, thank you both for organising, great to see such engagement on the forum these days and see so many new and old posters around.

Just a reminder folks (as I had forgotten myself) our charity is darkness into light so please donate what you can afford. The link is on post 1 of the thread. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Mile TT posts dominating the Top Thanked posts on boards today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

yaboya1 wrote: »
    5:31 for me, a few seconds faster than the random target I nominated. I was correctly disqualified from this group as I refuse to join strava, but it was good to have a target to aim at even if I wasn't officially involved.
    Well done to the organisers.

Just mention any issues like that...I'll stick you in the results :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Only getting started!

Ah to be fair it's not that bad organising. B was pure dramatic about it all.

Just entering hour 7 in front of spreadsheets! Not bad?? :pac::pac:

Anyone whose account on Strava is only visible to friends...we can't see you so won't be able to include your results tomorrow. Post times here if you can.

Strava limits how many runs can be seen in a club so we're having to go into lots of Strava accounts to find out if people ran the TT today. If you didn't could you let us know to save us the bother. Thanks to those who notified us of DNFs or DNSs.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

DNS here unfortunately, well done all, savage running all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

6:08 today for me, 6:07 was this day last week. Least it's consistent but had no tailwind today...it felt better up until 0.7mile (first glance at the watch, maybe I should have looked earlier to engage more HTFU) but it felt horrible enough from that point on and especially over the last 0.1 of the mile when I tried to muscle a sprint to get closer to the 6 flat but nothing to give...yearning for the beep of the watch...and when it finally came it seemed to take an age for my right hand to get to my left hand to pause my watch. Everything in slow motion at that stage.
    I ran the same stretch of road last week but ran it in reverse today so to have the sun on my back...picked a starting point a few 200-300m bit further back from where I finished last week so not to get caught at a tight spot at the far end with tractors (it's silage season big time where I live). One of my main dreads doing these things is to get run in when I won't have to step off the road to allow traffic to pass. It's not a road with markings, two cars cannot pass each other without one pulling in but it's flat and quiet enough usually to general traffic. However I messed it up a bit as my mile shows -6 meters elevation which I didn't think would be the case, last week's run on the same stretch of road in reverse had -2 meters. Happy with it but would have been nice to have been a few seconds quicker (especially given the elevation difference) and probably should have been.
    Tbh I was knackered earlier this week and did nothing for this in regards sessions and hoped the practice from last week might stand to me. It did to some extent that I felt I paced it better, should have pushed it harder/earlier though. Even with the practice run last week I still had the jitters before starting, same with all the 3 (1mile & 2x 5K) other time trials I've done in recent times. Out in the backroads of beyond, on my own and the pre race nerves well kicked in as I try to relax for a few mins after a 30min warmup, this is madness I think as I count down from 10 and away as fast as I can try go for a given distance.

Bit more appropriate training and think I can go faster, just catching up on the other results today and some great times come in today, envious of those with a 5 at the start of their finish times!

It was nice seeing the times my oul fellow DCM Novices 2015 nop98, kennyg and denis_b ran..we managed to all be within a couple of seconds of each other, well done lads.
    Cheers to the S and P for organising, cracking runs by both of ye too.

Advertisement