Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R TT....Round 2 - 1 mile TT, Saturday May 30th *** please read post #1 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Super well done to all who have ran , great efforts on a glorious morning! Best of luck to those still to run :D

Was delighted my eldest daughter came over with me & ran the w/u & c/d...was also great to see her waiting at the end! Fooked up the mile programmed into my watch somehow...wouldn't be me though if something didn't happen ;) Fixed it & off I went. Happy most of the way around then had to grit the teeth & get it done! Didn't fall to the ground in a heap but was coughing from the flies i swallowed :p
    Think i possibly could have done a bit better but thrilled as its my 1st ever mile attempt 6:05, spot on my prediction!

Super well done 2 the 2 organizers, not only on the event but on their own times :) Yis are sound blokes underneath it all :D

Some celebrity drinks will be enjoyed in the sun :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

6.04 today bit hot for it but no major wind . Dead turn in the middle prob worth a second or 2 . Ran 5.58 as part of the 5k would've thought there was a bit to be cut off that but it appears that around 6 mins is absolute top speed. It's over an hour later and I still don't feel right.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Like TBF it was my OH birthday yesterday and we had a "small" bit too much of vino with a takeaway last night. Woke up this morning and the thoughts of a TT sent a shiver down my spine!
    After a 2 mile warm up did some strides and drills really feeling the heat (and beer).
    Doing the mile on a track so measured out the extra 9m and ready for the off. Was planning 1:25-1:27 per lap, 1st 400m in 1:23, went out too fast in 1st 200 but dialled it back, 2nd lap starting to feel the pain - I was thinking get to end of 2nd lap and see how I feel, 2:53 for 800m, losing pace and really struggling. Legs were fine just couldn't breathe, felt like I was having an another asthma attack (why didn't I bring an inhaler!).
    Right I'm totally f&#€ed now so can bale ( like I did for my last 2 5k TT) or struggle on, it took a lot to keep going, 1200m in 4:27 - way off target, I really really really wanted to quit with only 300m left, can't breathe, running form gone to pot and have to negotiate traffic (gob****es walking in lane 1). Crossed the line in 5:56.9, 16 secs off target but under 6 mins so happy enough all things considered (never turn down a pb😉). Strava showing 5:58 which is pi$$ing me off - those are valuable seconds to be wasting!

Seeing some savage times on Strava so well done everyone, heat a big factor so challenging conditions. Big thanks to the lads for organising. If there is another 1 mile TT can we have it mid week so I don't have a hangover???ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

The strava mile split will be what's counted in people's times. Not the "elapsed time" so if you ran a few metres extra just incase, it won't go against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

The strava mile split will be what's counted in people's times. Not the "elapsed time" so if you ran a few metres extra just incase, it won't go against you.

My main Strava screen is saying 1.00 mile. 6:01 moving time but down below in achievements it has 1 mile PR 5:58

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Got out and got it done early enough this morning. Ran the lap of the outside road of the Polo Grounds in the Phoenix Park.

5.25 against a prediction of 5.29 so at least no sand bagging in the prediction stakes.

Some brilliant times coming in and a big thumbs up to the 2 lads for organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

4:59.32 :)

Up at 0730, porridge and OJ for breakfast and out the door just after 0800. 5k warm up with a few strides and dynamic stretching while mentally preparing myself for the unknown....

My route was a lap of the Raheny Shamrock Howth Rd/All Saints Rd/Wade Ave.

My plan was to go hardish, as after all it's "only a mile". I didn't want to bleed time unnecessarily and end up finishing with more left in the tank. My target was 3:06 or so for first km and see what I can do for the last .61.

The conditions were ideal and off I went. I was finding it slightly difficult in the first 400m to get comfortable at the pace due to lack of experience of running at that pace. I settled into it from 400-1000m, and the watch beeped 3:04:00 at that point. I was beginning to feel the pinch. I knew if I could make it to the last turn at around 300m to go I would be able to survive or maintain. The turn came and went and a few shout outs from a couple of Shamrocks got me to the finish line. I covered 0.61 (0.62 by the time I stopped it) in 1:55.32 (3:07 km pace).

It was pleasing to see my watch showing a time starting with a 4 :D

Thanks to the organisers and congrats/good luck to all those taking part.

Had a mile workout set up in Garmin, it's 1.61km

Hardly took me 3 seconds to cross that extra metre?

Lazare wrote:
    My main Strava screen is saying 1.00 mile. 6:01 moving time but down below in achievements it has 1 mile PR 5:58

My mile pb achievement is similarly off. I'm going by the actual one mile split in the "splits" section.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Sweet!! Then I'm 5:55🙂🙂😶🙂

• Advertisement

My mile pb achievement is similarly off. I'm going by the actual one mile split in the "splits" section.

Cool, weird that.

I'm bang on 6:00 then.

Lazare wrote:
    Had a mile workout set up in Garmin, it's 1.61km

I took a look there. Your time is 6 flat. Elapsed time is a second slower probably due to you taking a second to stop the watch. Strava doesn't have the resolution to record your mile split and then do a new split for the 0.001 mile that added the extra second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

In this case mine would mine be 5.03 which is what my Garmin says too? Moving pace 5.05, average pace 5.04. Confusing

In this case mine would be 5.03 which is what my Garmin says too. Moving pace 5.05, average pace 5.04. Confusing

It is confusing alright.

My understanding is this is how it works;
    Your split is the time it took you to run exactly one mile.
    Your moving time is the time the mile took you, including the extra one or two seconds before you stopped your watch.
    Your average pace is the actual distance travelled divided by the total elapsed time so for you that will be something like 1.01 divided by 5.05 giving you an average pace of 5.04.

Given its a Mile TT i consider the time in the mile split on strava as your one mile TT result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

6.06 for me. Happy with that especially given that I’d a few negative markers for the back at the start of the week and wasn’t sure I’d even get to do it. Track was closed so I’d to improvise and run around the pitches dodging footballs, sliotars, frisbees, prams and auld wans :)

The biggest thing of all for me was the back held up.

Went for a swim of the local pier, lovely.

Some super times rolling in!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Wow that was fun.

Some cracking times arriving in. For now I'll just post my TT report here, looking forward to sitting down this evening with a cool beer and reading through the updates here.

Thanks a lot guys for organizing - great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

6.12.4 (according to Garmin) with a 3m elevation drop.

Running a quite hilly 9 miler yesterday (at a slightly faster than prescribed pace) probably isn't ideal prep for a 1 mile TT and while doing a 3 mile warmup this morning the legs were feeling dead even with a few half hearted strides thrown in to warm them up.

I had an interval session planned for today and since "keep the main thing the main thing" is a bit of a mantra around these parts I had that to do after.
    The original plan was to attempt the TT first, cool down a bit and do the intervals and have another shot at the TT after the intervals had fully warmed the legs up.
    LOL at the naivety :D. Ended up I was too shot to complete the faster, shorter intervals at the prescribed paces and I'd walk into traffic before attempting another mile TT at the end of that. :pac:

Anyhow back to the TT - I took a short breather after the warmup and toed the line for the TT. The route was one lap of the local parkrun route which was just short of a mile to a small bit extra would be needed.
    It's not ideal with a downhill and and uphill drag and a few tight turns but since you can't buy a flat mile in Kerry for love nor money it would have to do.
    After a couple of last minutes psyching myself up I took off. The rough plan was to not shoot off too fast and try to keep average pace at around the 6.00 at least for most of the way to avoid too much of the inevitable loss in the uphill drag to the finish and try to beat tinman's 6.16 prediction.

First look at the watch was when I figured I was about a third of the way around. It showed distance remaining as 0.84 (ah ffs). I think speed was around 5.5x but this was on the downhill. The into-the-wind and the uphill sections were still to come. The windy section seemed a little lighter than it had on the warmup laps and I checked the watch again halfway up the drag for home - 6.18. Ah, crap. Gonna end up slower than tinman predicted. Finished the lap and knew I'd have to do a small bit extra. Waited for the watch to start beeping. FFS, why isn't it beeping yet? Turns out the mile is a little further than I expected. Finally the countdown beeped.
    Was very pleasantly surprised to see the one mile lap coming in at 6.12.39 on the watch. I had thought the times I was looking at earlier was the rolling average but it must have just been current pace.

Happy to beat tinman's prediction. In your face tinman :pac::D.

Thanks to the lads for organising and well done to all who took part. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Opted for the wade avenue loop where the road relays are run instead of the St Anne's Avenue due to a warning from Murphy_D, about the decrease in elevation.

Headed out at 7:30am, with 2 mile warm up on the same loop, with the Pegasus 32's. Decided to change into the Vapofly Next% (lovely present from my Son) for a first run in them. Felt strange at first, but the do give a nice spring, however tight corners do feel a bit strange...

Pushed hard from the off, tried to focus for most of the loop. Wanted to pull back on the effort levels a few times, but decided to dig in.

Over the line in 5:45, very happy with that.

Finished with a 1 mile cool down then a swim in Dollymount..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭the descent

I wasn't sure what to target for this as I've only ever raced 2 miles before, one of which was a beer mile, and even at that it was a good few years ago.

I had done a 2 x 350m off 10s rest (turn-around) yesterday at target race pace, but I completely messed it up by going off way too hard and was struggling badly the last 50m. So confidence was not too high going in.

The venue was Battersea Park, London, which offers a dead flat and wide tarmac path, but it is lined on both sides by trees which is not great for GPS. I had done a reconnaissance mission last Saturday to measure out the course and eye up some landmarks, and I was pleasantly surprised by the GPS tracking so I decided that would do.

I don't have a GPS watch so was running with my (fairly hefty) phone strapped to my arm. Manually started Strava as I started running and had run announcements tell me at halfway and when I had completed the mile.

To the TT:
    Started off smoothly, definitely easier effort than my botched trial-run yesterday and was feeling good. Checked my watch roughly 400m in and was in or around 5min pace so happy with that. Started feeling tougher to keep the pace in the second 400m, I lost confidence and definitely slowed here.

At halfway Strava told me I was on for 5:20 which I was happy with and I found some extra energy to pick up the pace and was feeling good. I had landmarks to look out for and roughly 300m from the end I really pushed the pace out and surprised myself that I had that much left, however when I got to the point that Strava had told me was 1 mile on my warm-up, the finish announcement never came... I kept going. 10m... 20m... still nothing and I was completely knackered and demoralised to the point I considered quitting but I managed to keep moving although I slowed to crawl. Eventually about 50m after the point I was expecting to finish the announcement came through saying 5:20. I stopped moving - which wasn't difficult as I was barely jogging - and pretty much collapsed in a heap.

All in all I'll take the 5:21. Definitely more there with better pacing and a track so I don't get duped by the GPS again. It turned out the GPS tracking was much better on my TT effort than either of the warm-up runs so that explained why I was fooled. Also, I really should invest in a Garmin...

Qkqg7HB

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

I had run a 5.48 4 weeks ago in a club TT in my first ever timed mile so the target was to beat that and I gave myself a 5.43 prediction. Ran down/up the ave in St Annes, leaving the uphill section for the 2nd half. Things were going ok ( very relative term) until about 0.8m when a nasty unfamiliar wretching started and I thought my goose was cooked. My HR trace suggests I eased off the gas a bit until the vomity :eek:feeling disappeared. Was able to push on then to the finish and crossed in 5.38.

Delighted with that time and even more delighted its over. Looks like I’m in with a shout to take the M52 category;)

Fair play to the 2 lads for organising. Good craic and banter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Inauspicious start to the day as my phone battery died during the night meaning I didn't wake up til embarrassing o clock!
    Getting kids and stuff sorted meant I started out about 3 hours later than planned. Glad I stuck on "Shipping out to Boston" before setting off to raise the heart rate as it was so warm that I really cut back my warm up to bare minimum with a few token gesture strides thrown in.
    My start line was at the luxurious surroundings of a neighbouring farmers cattle pen and it took a few tries before I finally calmed the nerves down and hit the start button.
    All week I had told myself to start off comfortable and not make an ass of it from the start. 50 metres in and I look at my watch and see the pace at 4.36, ah ffs making a balls of this already!
    Scaled it back over the course of the next 400 metres and was reasonably comfortable but knew pain was on the way ahead of schedule. Passed first house on the route secretly hoping the gate was open so that their dog might give chase and nip my ankle forcing a brave DNF but no luck!
    My next target point was the long time closed pub that was once called The Halfway which by crazy coincidence wasn't halfway through my route!
    Pain is here and real now and I'm checking the watch once every car that passes is out of sight, 0.08 mile segments never felt so long.
    In my head I had hoped that I could lift it for last 300 metres but that ain't happening. While my legs felt like those giant pistons in Titanic flying around at the start of the run they are now slowing down after my brain has given the reverse power command!
    Last time I check the watch is 0.97 so able to lift it a small bit and happy to here it finally beep at 5:09.
    Very happy with that as my shortest race to date is a half marathon! I think/hope I have room for improvement at this shorter stuff.

Massive thanks to the 2 lads for organising it and B for getting the initial idea off the ground. Not a hope I would have had the motivation to do that run without this thread.

Never ran a mile as fast but conversely I never experienced a longer mile!!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Great day for me, ran 3.5sec PB of 4:45.6 on slightly net uphill point to point straight stretch of road which I normally do my reps on.

I have been carrying a very tight TFL since end of March and ran 16:50 in the initial 5k TT and was sore as hell after it. Been able to get to physio the last couple of wks and it's made some difference, the last few days I have felt no pain and feel much freerer. I had put 4:58 as my target so think I win the sandbag award, but above is the context of that target time back 3 wks ago.

I did a decent warmup with couple of race pace efforts for 40 secs. Wore the Vaporfly's Next %, and went off fairly hard. First 0.25m in 71sec, then the slight drag hit. Next 0.25m in 73sec, still felt strong. Pushed hard for the third lap as this is worst of drag and went through in 73sec again, and then the road levels and slight decline for last lap and I really got legs turning over for a 68sec split and Garmin showed 4:45.6 when the workout ended. My lungs were burning as normal but recovered pretty quickly.

Thanks for organising, def wouldn't have pushed myself this hard only for having committed to running this today and seeing others post times all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Haven’t a clue how to run a flat out mile although I learned a bit from this outing. It was all over before I had time to think. Started and finished at effort but for the middle 800m I “settled” into a comfortably hard effort like a 5k or 10k instead of pushing more.
    Thanks for organising - it’s nice to get a sense of pre race nerves.
    Looking forward to whatever’s next.

Finished in 5:33 (or 5:31 from the recorded split)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Well that was a friggin bust :o

6:17, from a prediction of 5:40.

Up early and had the porridge and coffee as usual. Out the door at 8.20am, so in otherwords the usual time I do most runs these days. 2.5ml warm up, stretches and strides; feeling good, pace of strides was sub 5:30 and I felt relaxed. Even wore my raising flats and a singlet for the occasion. Had a point to point on the ring road up a slight incline mapped out. It took me through 2 roundabouts but had the option to go up the link roads if traffic.
    Off I went, conscious to go out solid but not crazy. For the 5k time trial I just checked h/r, for my 1500m TT I did 500m splits. Decided for this to check the pace on my garmin and adjust accordingly.
    First check after about 200m, 6:11/ml pace; WTF.......ok, don't panic, pick ii up a bit and you'll get it back. Next check at approx 400m, 6:12/ml :eek:. At this point I knew I was toast and thought about bailing, but figured I'd plow on and maybe, just maybe get it down to a sub 6 with a fast finish. Speaking of finsh, where the heck is it :(, stuggling royally now, nothing in the legs, not lactic, just nothing there. Plowed on to the finish .....

What went wrong, well, overtrained I assume. Wasn't targeting this so didn't rest up. A good block of training this past month, with sessions introduced for the first time. The 1500m TT I did a month ago on virtually the same route was 5:39, and I think I'm in a lot better shape now.

Ah well, not going to get too bent out of shape about it. I know my fitness level is increasing, and I have another crack at it, on the track this time, in 2 weeks :)
    Well done to everyone, and thanks a million to the organisers for putting it together. Even with the day not going as planned, really enjoyed the build up :-)

When do milers typically go again? A week?

A hungover bank holiday Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Lazare wrote: »
    When to milers typically go again? A week?

An easy day for each mile raced, so ... Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

6:40/6:41 for me off a prediction of 6:45 based on the 5k TT and a previous fastest mile of 7:01 (first mile in a 5k race).

Delighted to run fairly even splits too 1:41.4/1:38.9/1:41.3/138.6. Both max HR and average hr were higher than the 5k TT so I was working hard (cos I need metrics to tell me that - NOT).

A little dissappointed to see the elevation map in Strava as it very much looks like my course was downhill but I had checked it out a few weeks back as part of a bigger run and it was a net loss of 1m just, it certainly felt pretty flat to run... When I saw Strava I wanted to go do it again in reverse!

Really enjoyed the experience of the mile and look forward to doing it again with a bit more prep next time perhaps! Thanks to the top class organisers for all their efforts and entertainment!! Well done to everyone, super times, effort and camaraderie all around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I wheel measured a flat mile to 1615 meters adding the extra 6 meters to be sure to be sure. Time for the measured course was 4.49. Garmin showed 4.47. Im submitting 4.49 as the official effort. It was a very slight elevation drop and wind assisted. Very happy overall and found it exillerating. Thanks to the organisers the TTs have been a bit of a lifeline in stark times well done to all who took part.

ariana` wrote: »
    6:40/6:41 for me off a prediction of 6:45 based on the 5k TT and a previous fastest mile of 7:01 (first mile in a 5k race).

Delighted to run fairly even splits too 1:41.4/1:38.9/1:41.3/138.6. Both max HR and average hr were higher than the 5k TT so I was working hard (cos I need metrics to tell me that - NOT).

A little dissappointed to see the elevation map in Strava as it very much looks like my course was downhill but I had checked it out a few weeks back as part of a bigger run and it was a net loss of 1m just, it certainly felt pretty flat to run... When I saw Strava I wanted to go do it again in reverse!

Really enjoyed the experience of the mile and look forward to doing it again with a bit more prep next time perhaps! Thanks to the top class organisers for all their efforts and entertainment!! Well done to everyone, super times, effort and camaraderie all around!

Great running E, cracking time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

5:54 and a reality check. Enjoyed getting it done rather than actually doing it. Cooked from the off with not a lot to offer in the back half.

Plenty of great performances on view. Well done all and most importantly thanks to the organisers for their efforts. Fairplay. Enjoy the rest of weekend!

Advertisement