Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R TT....Round 2 - 1 mile TT, Saturday May 30th *** please read post #1 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭py

Will be a DNS. Opted for my long run instead. Great runs coming through on my Strava feed, well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

Finished in 5:32, just over 2 seconds outside my target. It was an interesting lesson on how to run a mile. It was too late by the time I realised I was going too slow and I might have had it in me to get those 2 seconds out of it! I need a few more attempts to teach myself how much pain I can take before stopping. The condensed 3 week training block was fun anyway and I enjoyed the build up, if not the actual mile itself! Thanks for organising it and I can’t wait to start training for the next distance(if there is one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

EnPassant wrote: »
    6.43 ... a bit outside my target.

My course was up and down the main avenue in St Anne's park - it was fairly quiet at 8.25 this morning.

Thanks for organizing - it was my first ever attempt at the mile distance!

I think I passed you when I was warming up. You finished close to the junction where the Parkrun comes back onto the Ave. You looked like you had given it everything.....I gulped, turned and finished my own warmup :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Some great times coming in already.

I was up early, not as early as I would have liked though. After the warm-up and drills, it took me a good 5 minutes to sort my head out as my finger hovered over the 'Start Run' button on the watch.....:rolleyes:

5:20 - Very pleased overall!

Thanks to S and P for organising, this has been a cracking thread! Well done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Im new to running so this will be my first ever mile time trial.

Feeling maybe the beers last night were not optimal strategy :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

5:44 for me against a prediction of 5:52. More than I deserved given lack of general running and completely absence of specific prep. I still feel like I left a few seconds out there so I’m really pleased I did it, and thanks to the organisers for giving me another push to lace them up. Well done to everyone who’s given it a lash- some great efforts as I scroll through strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Had previously run a "MILE" a couple years back on a track at ALSAA mid winter when I was keen for shorter stuff. It was windy so the 6:23 was beatable. Back from the hills and trails for this event with a few speed sessions that nearly broke me over the last 3 weeks. Aim was a modest 6:22. In training I could just about manage 400m at that pace on first attempt but there was some improvement.

Couldn't get out out of bed, eat porridge and get this out of the way half quick enough! Warmup, few strides, gulp of water and gone before I could think about it. First thought around 300m - legs are going very fast, how will I keep this up. Quick look at watch and I am slightly behind. Pick it up and get to 800m and manage to push hard through the next 400m, where I see that I am several seconds ahead of schedule. And then, for the first time ever, Dry Heaves. Breath and listening out for the first beep at 1 mile (pre-programmed) feeling dizzy. Stop.

A decent pb by 21 seconds but not happy that watch shows 1.60 kms!!! So, will do it again in the next week or so.

Great event lads and thanks for putting in the effort and charming/entertaining us along the way. Have to say it was a Covid highlight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Legs were dead after 400m , was it tbe drink? Lack of sleep? 5k on wed? Maybe all of the above, still happy to do it, what a beautiful day. Good luck everyone else, try and keep the head together, its not easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Thanks for organising lads. Great stuff.

My original time had a big bag of sand attached to it. Thanks to posters here for pointing that out ��

It was hot out there.

According to strava it is 5.18 and garmin 5.16. Probably left a few seconds out there despite my 'Ah come on you pr*ck in the last 100 metres.'

Well done all who did it and good luck to those still to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Target 5:40
    At 400 - 5 secs up good didn't do the usual
    At 800 - 3 secs down ok hold on now!
    At 1200 - 12 secs down f#@k f#@k f#@k
    Last 400 hurt- 5 secs up! High 5 the kids

5:35. It'll do, still progressing 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

6.27. Waaay off my target time which leads me to believe the one I did at the start of lockdown wasn't a mile at all :pac: or else the fact I took off as if I was going for sub 5 may have been the issue :o
    It does match up to the 5km TT pretty well though so I'll take comfort in that. Some super times showing up on Strava, well done folks!
    Thanks to the 2 lads for organising, great excitement for the long weekend :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Well I finally got there. Thanks so much to the lads for organising. It definitely helped get me over the line.

Early morning run. Not by choice but circumstances. Very hard to get going. Stood at the start a couple of times before going for an extra stride or two. It probably helped me not head out too fast though. Never really let the target pace drop so not too much of a kick in reserve for the end. I knew I was on it so just gritted the teeth and held on hard.

Ran through my finish point to be safe and clocked 4:57. Absolute joy and just enough energy for a solitary dusty pump before wheezing to a stop and a slow walk as I began to process it.

Strava tells me my mile PR is now 4:55 so I'd overran a little on the distance. No harm and I don't care. Sub 5 is sub 5. I gave myself an extra pat for doing it so early. When I sit down for my beer later it'll feel like I ran it yesterday. Absolutely chuffed.

Time to write the obit for the sub 5 log (maybe in a day or two). Thanks all for the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Well I finally got there. Thanks so much to the lads for organising. It definitely helped get me over the line.

Early morning run. Not by choice but circumstances. Very hard to get going. Stood at the start a couple of times before going for an extra stride or two. It probably helped me not head out too fast though. Never really let the target pace drop so not too much of a kick in reserve for the end. I knew I was on it so just gritted the teeth and held on hard.

Ran through my finish point to be safe and clocked 5:57. Absolute joy and just enough energy for a solitary dusty pump before wheezing to a stop and a slow walk as I began to process it.

Strava tells me my mile PR is now 5:55 so I'd overran a little on the distance. No harm and I don't care. Sub 5 is sub 5. I gave myself an extra pat for doing it so early. When I sit down for my beer later it'll feel like I ran it yesterday. Absolutely chuffed.

Time to write the obit for the sub 5 log (maybe in a day or two). Thanks all for the support.

Super stuff, congrats... although you may need to edit your post as your losing a minute here twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Ran through my finish point to be safe and clocked 5:57. Absolute joy and just enough energy for a solitary dusty pump before wheezing to a stop and a slow walk as I began to process it.

Strava tells me my mile PR is now 5:55 so I'd overran a little on the distance. No harm and I don't care. Sub 5 is sub 5. I gave myself an extra pat for doing it so early. When I sit down for my beer later it'll feel like I ran it yesterday. Absolutely chuffed.

4:57?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Done! 6:43 on the watch and my prediction was 6:45 so can't complain about that at all! First time doing a mile and to be honest after doing nothing above a steady run in nearly 3 months I hadn't a clue what this would be like. I'd have been happy with anything under 7:00. Definitely think it would be fun to train for one of these some day. Despite all the fearmongering on here beforehand it didn't seem as bad to me as a 5k, is that just me?

Great craic anyway, it was lovely having those butterflies in the stomach again this morning - it's been too long :) Thanks a million to the two lads for organising, and to OONegative for starting the franchise :p

Some great runs popping up so far this morning, well done everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

coogy wrote: »
    I was up early, not as early as I would have liked though. After the warm-up and drills, it took me a good 5 minutes to sort my head out as my finger hovered over the 'Start Run' button on the watch.....:rolleyes:

Haha, same. It was very similar to jumping into water from a height. I think I counted down from 10 seconds about 4 times.

Cracking run K

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

denis b wrote: »
    I think I passed you when I was warming up. You finished close to the junction where the Parkrun comes back onto the Ave. You looked like you had given it everything.....I gulped, turned and finished my own warmup :eek:

Yes - that would have been me ... not sure what I looked like, but it felt great to have finished it. Although I did walk for a while before running the rest of the way home.

PS congrats on your pb!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm not opposed to second attempts today incase that's an option for you. Shur AMK had planned on three attempts

Haha thanks but family and weather won't allow that. I may have a spin myself tomorrow morning again tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Super stuff, congrats... although you may need to edit your post as your losing a minute here twice

Haha. Shows my obsession with 5. Hadn't typed a 4 on a mile time before.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

5.12. slightly disappointing. was about 3sec off at halfway, met traffic at 1.2k, lost concentration, got going for the last 200m.
    no gagging or didn't keel over at the end, so prob no trying hard enough, need another few go's before I get used to the level of effort needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

4:58.69
    -9ft elevation (acceptable?)
    Zoom Next%

Surprised myself, although this week was my 1st week of pain free running since the beginning of January.
    Invested in a massage gun and have been using on my piriformis and hammers as part of my warm up which has really helped.

Got out on pace, began to slide a little in the 3 quarter, but pulled it out of the bag in the last 200.

1:14.62
    1:15.03
    1:15.76
    1:13.28

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Haha. Shows my obsession with 5. Hadn't typed a 4 on a mile time before.

Over the moon for you N, knew how much you wanted it.

It was the one result I think a lot of us were rooting for.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Ran through my finish point to be safe and clocked 4:57. Absolute joy and just enough energy for a solitary dusty pump before wheezing to a stop and a slow walk as I began to process it.

Strava tells me my mile PR is now 4:55 so I'd overran a little on the distance. No harm and I don't care. Sub 5 is sub 5. I gave myself an extra pat for doing it so early. When I sit down for my beer later it'll feel like I ran it yesterday. Absolutely chuffed.

Very well done, Im delighted for you. Enhjoy the beer, well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

7ish. Disaster of a run. Set my watch for the mile and off I went, 3 laps done and i looked at the watch and it only had 2 laps counted. Was probably on 4:10/16 km pace. Sure I was flying. Stopped running then and got my breath back for another attempt. Hit the start on the watch and if I went. First lap and I was well on target. Second and thirlap I started to slow. Then the problem calfs and tendons started acting up and I slowed some more. Kept at it and as I got passed the 1 mile stage the watch kept on going. I had not set the 1 mile distance on it. Walked/hobbled very slowly home 😓😓😓😩😩😩

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

6:16 (net elevation +12) and that beats my pb of 9:15 in my only previous effort��. At times breathless and at times in a state of terror but overall very happy. Warmed down with a jog to the shop and ate well afterwards.

Also registered it as 1 mile run for pieta house on Myrunresults.com so will get a medal. Think it will mean something ��.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

5.08 for me against a target of 5.15. Delighted. Ran the first 400m a little hot at sub 5 pace, 75s. Second 400m had a drag and headwind, close to 80s. Last 800m was balls to the wall (77/76ish splits). Ran an extra couple of seconds at the end as I figured I'd get a roasting on here if I ran 0.99 miles.

Brilliant times coming in folks. Well done everyone. For those of you that haven't run yet, yes, it's horrible.....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

5:49 off a prediction of 6:15. 4 laps of the track. Solid 4 weeks of training under the belt after a miserable few months of injuries. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Great morning watching all the times come in on Strava. A few pangs of regret on my side that I didn't fire ahead with the Mile instead of the 10k, but I'll hopefully do one before the end of the Summer. 5:47 mile in the midst of a very toasty 36:14 will have to suffice for today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

6:09 for me (against a 6:00 target). A rather poor showing, was about to give up from about 400m in and didn't manage to HTFU at all. Then again, I don't think I could have gone much faster than this.

Great times being recorded, well done all - and thanks to the two lads for the organization!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

5:49 off a prediction of 6:15. 4 laps of the track. Solid 4 weeks of training under the belt after a miserable few months of injuries. Happy with that.

I hope you ran the 9 metres too ;)

Advertisement