Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social work as a career

• 30-04-2020 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey! I have been interested in becoming a social worker for a while now and have the option to complete a two years masters to become one.

However, I am concered, as during my research on what exactly social workers do and reading about peoples experiences as being a social worker...it has mostly been negative.

Many people talk about the high level of stress and how it is not an enjoyable career. I have read comments from people saying to run the other way if you are thinking about becoming a social worker, not to mention the scrutiny from some service users, for example - videos on youtube of cients videoing their social workers and verbally abusing them, along with negative perceptions from the media (Although most of what i saw or read was based in america or england).

Of course I have also seen some comments from people who love being a social worker. I am aware that there is many different areas of social work also.

I am just looking to hear from experienced social workers on what their experience in Ireland is like. Pay, Stress, workload, work-life balance and overall job satisfaction.

I would also appreciate advice from social work students and what their experience has been like overall.

Any advice is extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Make It Real

I don't have any specific experience of being a social worker, but just to say you'll always hear good and bad views from people.

Generally there are ups and down to jobs, plus there are so many different areas, environments and everyone passes things through their own filter.

I think research, getting views, talking to people etc is the right way to go. At the end, hopefully you'll be able to know the good stuff you'd get from the role (specific to you), the bad stuff (you'd have to put up with), the balance between them and whether it's the right thing for you.

Good luck with it and hope you get some replies with first-hand experience!

Advertisement