Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insulation with the SEAI grant. Don’t know where to start !

Options
  • 27-04-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi there
    I live in Co.Laois , on Carlow border in housing estate, detached house built in 2003.

I would like to get attic and walls insulated.
    After this I would like to see if we are suitable for solar panel.
    I would apply for the SEAI grand so I’d need an approved contractor.

Can anyone recommend?
    I haven’t a clue where to start
    Thank you

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi there
    I live in Co.Laois , on Carlow border in housing estate, detached house built in 2003.

Can anyone recommend?
    Thank you

Look for contractors in your area here: https://hes.seai.ie/GrantProcess/ContractorSearch.aspx

Once you've found a few contact them for some quotes and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Hi there

Can anyone recommend?
    Thank you

If I were you I would first have an independent (heat loss) survey done to understand why my house is losing heat (I'm presuming here that heat loss is the reason you're thinking about insulation). In a significant number of cases, lack of or poor insulation is rarely the main reason why houses lose heat in our climate. The results of the survey should then guide you on how best to proceed. Spend a bit of time looking for an experienced independent surveyor. Then and only then consider a grant if appropriate.

Going the other way about it as suggested above is, ime, leaving yourself open to spending possibly '000s on measures which in all likelihood will make little to no difference to the heatloss in your house. Just because your house qualifies for a particular grant aided measure does not mean it is appropriate or will be effective. Caveat emptor!

SEAI affialiated installers are more expensive after the grant is applied than Joe down the road. I've tried it with solar, I tried it with heating grants, I tried it with insulation grants.
    SEAI and associates are in the business of being in business.
    ain't nothin' green about it.
    MicktheMan wrote: »
    If I were you I would first have an independent (heat loss) survey done

Better spend dough on a Flir thermal imagining camera than a clipboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lovestolisten

Sound advice from all,
    Thank you.

I'm living in a boom build house, so many problems :(

In regard to the heat loss survey, any recommendations? where could I have one of these done?

Thanks !

Advertisement