Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

gift ideas for 6 week old girl

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

sillysocks wrote: »
    Really depends on budgets. A few favourites from when mine were small was Sophie the Giraffe, Clark’s vouchers for first shoes, and a weaning set (Annabel karmel book, some weaning spoons, tubs etc). All really useful!
    Had loads of clothes, and keepsakes so the practical ones were great.

I’d have loved a voucher for shoes. I nearly had a stroke when I saw the price of toddler shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

kylith wrote: »
    I’d have loved a voucher for shoes. I nearly had a stroke when I saw the price of toddler shoes.

It’s a great first birthday present too I think, though no one ever thinks of something so practical!

Vouchers trump everything, imo. I hate getting clothes for the baby, my SIL's have given me more than enough for his first year of life and anything more is a complete waste. Whatever you buy clothes wise will only be used for a few weeks anyway. Vouchers all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

books always

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭pgj2015

bit young for books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

pgj2015 wrote: »
    bit young for books?

They’ll be used down the line, but tbh, it’s not something I would recommend at 6 weeks-It depends on the household. I have 4 kids and could open a bookshop at this stage. Maybe if it’s a first baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

pgj2015 wrote: »
    bit young for books?

Never too young for books. My cousin got my little boy three books when he was was 5 months. Two years later we are still reading them and he will get another 2 or 3 years out of them. His little sister will also get mileage out of them.

I’d recommend anything by Julia Donaldson, the Adams cloud books and the Duck series by Jez Alborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you really want to give clothes, vests and onesies in the next size up would be my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Millem wrote:
    A one4all voucher

Careful using these if you haven't spent the full amount in the first transaction they start taking deductions as time passes, think it 1.25 per month or something. Really crap, I've been stung a few times with thinking I have X amount left and get to the till to have it rejected. Really annoying because you don't know your balance and in most (if not all?) shops they can't check the balance for you. You can check your balance online but who wants to do that standing at a till. It's put me off gifting them even though I loved receiving them. I'll just spend in full if I ever receive them again but just worth watching out for!

As for gifts, books are amazing, I've been reading the same set of Julia Donaldson books to my 19 month old since she was born, I'm sick to death of the same books but she loves them and repeats words back to me from them and copies me when she looks at other books on her own.

We also loved swimming togs as we had none and it made me take her swimming very young, little baby toys from mothercare were really good too. Voucher for shoes also great.

Teddy bears of any kind are a nuisance..I only like two that she was given, one from her dad and one from her grandad given in hospital when she was born. The rest are just in the way, we must have about 50, I don't know where they keep coming from.

• Advertisement

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Careful using these if you haven't spent the full amount in the first transaction they start taking deductions as time passes, think it 1.25 per month or something. Really crap, I've been stung a few times with thinking I have X amount left and get to the till to have it rejected. Really annoying because you don't know your balance and in most (if not all?) shops they can't check the balance for you. You can check your balance online but who wants to do that standing at a till. It's put me off gifting them even though I loved receiving them. I'll just spend in full if I ever receive them again but just worth watching out for!

I think the charge is after 12 months? The same as a well known shopping centre voucher I have
    :(
    I get one4all vouchers a couple of times a year as a form of payment for self employed work. I love them. I check the balance online no problem. I have used them to pay for hotels/car insurance etc.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

kylith wrote: »

That's actually a great idea. Clarks shoes voucher. 30-40 euro for their first shoes. And with the new voucher expiry rules its all the better.

I believe (double check this if you have any) one for all now start to expire/charge fees after 12 months of no activity. Not just a flat 12 months from first use.

Not sure about that? I use mine anyway.
    https://www.one4all.ie/terms-condition

I do have shopping centre ones though which expire in July :( I think they will charge me €3 off each card.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

nappies...she'll use them a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Digs wrote: »

Two things that have never gone to waste in this house are books and prize bonds. Both great gifts! The prize bonds will sit there until they’re old enough to do what they want with them.

Books I agree. But prize bonds went to waste here. We went to cash them in when we needed money for a house move. Couldn't cash them. A name was spelled incorrectly on one, the old address was also on them. Post office used every effort possible to not cash them. About 400 euro down the toilet for people who gave them in good faith.

They are a pure scam imho.

All4one vouchers are similar, they expire. And are unspendable online (which at the moment in Corona virus time means unspendable full stop)

pwurple wrote: »
    Books I agree. But prize bonds went to waste here. We went to cash them in when we needed money for a house move. Couldn't cash them. A name was spelled incorrectly on one, the old address was also on them. Post office used every effort possible to not cash them. About 400 euro down the toilet for people who gave them in good faith.

They are a pure scam imho.

All4one vouchers are similar, they expire. And are unspendable online (which at the moment in Corona virus time means unspendable full stop)

You can spend one4all vouchers online but only €50 max per transaction. Anyway I am not going to derail this thread!

Advertisement