Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Amazon order shipped today via An Post and is promised by Friday, 11 December. Let's see how we go...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod: I have moved some of the last posts over to the USPS thread as they may be more useful over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Amazon order shipped today via An Post and is promised by Friday, 11 December. Let's see how we go...

Amazon has been super quick if you have prime. Like one or two days. They even deliver on Saturday and Sunday and evenings so no need to worry about that.
    This has been all the way through, my wife is forever ordering stuff and none has been late or even slowish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Amazon has been super quick if you have prime. Like one or two days. They even deliver on Saturday and Sunday and evenings so no need to worry about that.
    This has been all the way through, my wife is forever ordering stuff and none has been late or even slowish

I don't have Prime, but paid for shipping as opposed to taking the free shipping (which would promise the goods a couple of days later - would like them ASAP). I ordered it last Saturday and they only dispatched today.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Was waiting since 25 nov for a package from Koln with DHL

Came today with an Post..Normally get a text saying it'll take 3 days to be delivered.

The track and trace said it was in Portlaoise yesterday and out for delivery today.

Not too long I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ardent wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that there are over 300K packages coming into Ireland every day and only 250K packages being delivered by An Post. The backlog is increasing every day for them. Apparently the bottleneck is not staff but rather the space to store these packages. Dublin Airport is suspending deliveries from China.

I think we're seeing the effects of the pandemic here.
    Can you state your "authority"

I asking because I know that this is totally untrue.

An Post now have a further parcel facility in Finglas. That's three parcel distribution centres in Dublin in addition to the mails centre.

They have capacity at present to deliver 3.5m parcels a week and volumes have not reached that level (its about 3m)

Parcels from abroad are totally dependent on cargo space. It's a lot better than spring and summer, but expect long delays on large parcels, lesser delays on small parcels and small delays on letters and small packets.

If you are sending stuff abroad, then the small packets (up to shoebox size) and envelopes get priority.

But, once a parcel lands, it is scanned within a few hours. There are zero delays from airport to the parcel centers. But plenty of delays at foreign airports waiting for space to travel on the skeleton flight service to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Darc19 wrote: »
    Can you state your "authority"

I asking because I know that this is totally untrue.

An Post now have a further parcel facility in Finglas. That's three parcel distribution centres in Dublin in addition to the mails centre.

They have capacity at present to deliver 3.5m parcels a week and volumes have not reached that level (its about 3m)

Parcels from abroad are totally dependent on cargo space. It's a lot better than spring and summer, but expect long delays on large parcels, lesser delays on small parcels and small delays on letters and small packets.

If you are sending stuff abroad, then the small packets (up to shoebox size) and envelopes get priority.

But, once a parcel lands, it is scanned within a few hours. There are zero delays from airport to the parcel centers. But plenty of delays at foreign airports waiting for space to travel on the skeleton flight service to Ireland

Its not about delivering parcels my postman tells me that they have much more capacity and could deliver more if necessary. The problem is that An Post DO NOT HAVE THE CAPACITY TO SORT THE MAIL.

A full week for a parcel to get from Dublin to Waterford is appallingly bad service.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

I have an enterprise account with AnPost and received this from our rep yesterday.

Dear ***,

As you are aware ecommerce parcels volume has increased significantly since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic as Irish shoppers adopted online eCommerce in greater numbers in response to public health recommendations of staying at home as much as possible.

Since we entered Level 5 of the Irish government's Plan for living with Covid-19 and the related closure of most retail outlets in Ireland, we are experiencing an earlier than usual start of the traditional Christmas peak shopping season with further increases of parcels volume through the An Post Commerce's delivery network.

For these reasons, An Post Commerce is currently operating a delivery service of an average of 3 days nationwide and up to 5 days in specific locations such as Cork city As county.

As a front line service, An Post Commerce has continued to deliver your parcels during this period despite the ongoing operational challenges and process changes that had to be implemented in order to protect its employees and customers.

***** Removed for privacy

As the COVID-19 situation remains fluid, your account manager will continue to update you with service level updates as required.
    Many thanks for your understanding during these challenging times.

Yours sincerely,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Super slow at the moment. Received a parcel posted in Munich on the 24th of November yesterday and another posted in Nuremberg on November 23 today.
    Posted 3 parcels to Germany on the 2nd, hope they'll be there by Christmas Eve.
    Birthday cards to Germany took more than 2 weeks late October/early November.

Its not about delivering parcels my postman tells me that they have much more capacity and could deliver more if necessary. The problem is that An Post DO NOT HAVE THE CAPACITY TO SORT THE MAIL.

A full week for a parcel to get from Dublin to Waterford is appallingly bad service.

Please read the full post I put up.

A NEW facility opened in Finglas last week. That's on top of the Merrywell facility opened two weeks ago. (changed from large parcels to all sizes)

They have capacity in all areas, but you will always see some items getting excessive delays.

Our experience is that about 50% are being delivered next day and 95%+ within 3 days. (we get csv downloads daily with delivery information) Today's download saw a 40%+ "out for delivery" on yesterday's dispatches. For a Saturday, that's impressive.

DPD are doing even better with 70%+ next day. But still skeleton service on weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

I have prime and up until a few weeks ago my Amazon parcels were taking two weeks to arrive, kept getting stuck when they arrived in Dublin. They are moving much better now but one parcel has been stuck in Park West since the 1st and several haven’t budged from parcel hub 12 since the 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

I have an enterprise account with AnPost and received this from our rep yesterday.

Dear ***,

As you are aware ecommerce parcels volume has increased significantly since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic as Irish shoppers adopted online eCommerce in greater numbers in response to public health recommendations of staying at home as much as possible.

Since we entered Level 5 of the Irish government's Plan for living with Covid-19 and the related closure of most retail outlets in Ireland, we are experiencing an earlier than usual start of the traditional Christmas peak shopping season with further increases of parcels volume through the An Post Commerce's delivery network.

For these reasons, An Post Commerce is currently operating a delivery service of an average of 3 days nationwide and up to 5 days in specific locations such as Cork city As county.

As a front line service, An Post Commerce has continued to deliver your parcels during this period despite the ongoing operational challenges and process changes that had to be implemented in order to protect its employees and customers.

***** Removed for privacy

As the COVID-19 situation remains fluid, your account manager will continue to update you with service level updates as required.
    Many thanks for your understanding during these challenging times.

Yours sincerely,

They didn't even give us that courtesy to let us know,

We have stuff that went out on saturday the 27th and Monday the 30th that still have yet to even move beyond park west. We have another that was destined for dublin/kildare border area that has ended up in athy and hasn't moved since tuesday.

I rang twice on Friday to chase down parcels and and was told by the first lady there was a 3 day delay in express post and the second lady informed me it could be 5-7 days.

Taking into account how small ireland actually is you could only conclude its an just abysmal service and woefully bad foreplanning

I bet this months direct debit will be deducted on time though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Has anyone received a parcel from the UK that was sent around the 10th - 12th of November ?

Amazon sent me a parcel from the UK on the 12th and even though it has an An Post tracking number there hasn't been any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I have prime and up until a few weeks ago my Amazon parcels were taking two weeks to arrive, kept getting stuck when they arrived in Dublin. They are moving much better now but one parcel has been stuck in Park West since the 1st and several haven’t budged from parcel hub 12 since the 3rd.

Maybe I'm just super lucky then. Or maybe they recognise the importance of my wife buying yet another bag or cake icing nozzle or whatever it is this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Waiting on an adidas order ,dispatched via dhl post who use an post in Ireland to deliver .
    Last status was 23rd November , koln Germany, nothing since .

Any insight ? I would have expected it to reach Ireland by now .

Thanks

No sign of any movement on this , should I be starting to get worried if it’s lost? It’s a few Santa gifts which I’m waiting on .
    I see a few others have got packages from koln which were dispatched after mine .
    I tried customer service of the 3 companies involved , no concrete answer from any of them where it is .

Sit tight for another while ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 gaelar29

Tis rare but am a postie myself, off tomorrow, well today...am out the next 13 days in a row but I have yet to hear of anyone re a delay..nice to hear an odd time, "didnt expect it so quick"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

D3V!L wrote: »
    Has anyone received a parcel from the UK that was sent around the 10th - 12th of November ?

Amazon sent me a parcel from the UK on the 12th and even though it has an An Post tracking number there hasn't been any updates.

Most likely its sitting in England waiting on transport...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

No sign of any movement on this , should I be starting to get worried if it’s lost? It’s a few Santa gifts which I’m waiting on .
    I see a few others have got packages from koln which were dispatched after mine .
    I tried customer service of the 3 companies involved , no concrete answer from any of them where it is .

Thanks

I am in the same boat and my previous order from Amazon.de sat in Koln for a very long time as well (but did eventually show up in Ireland / An Post).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I wouldn't be ordering anything from Germany. If you do a bit of research they are having problems getting stuff into Ireland and the Czech Rep. stopped taking anything over a certain size and returning them to sender.

Some stuff is coming through but serious backlogs there, nothing to do with An Post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Same here, was waiting almost 2 weeks for Amazon to dispatch and then days for an post deliveries in November,

Since December, an item ordered on Dec 1st (evening) was delivered yesterday, an item ordered Dec 2nd (morning) just arrived today both via Dublin parcel hub, both landed in the Dublin Parcel hub an hour apart Friday Morning Dec 4th.

i had one item go through "PARK WEST" and it took so long Amazon refunded it as "missing" but then it arrived so i had to contact them to pay again,

so if it's PARK WEST expect delays but it should arrive eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 gaelar29

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Most likely its sitting in England waiting on transport...

Adresspal?

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be ordering anything from Germany. If you do a bit of research they are having problems getting stuff into Ireland and the Czech Rep. stopped taking anything over a certain size and returning them to sender.

Some stuff is coming through but serious backlogs there, nothing to do with An Post

Can you please elaborate or share some source? I've done some googling but can't find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

gaelar29 wrote: »
    Tis rare but am a postie myself, off tomorrow, well today...am out the next 13 days in a row but I have yet to hear of anyone re a delay..nice to hear an odd time, "didnt expect it so quick"

Funny that when I chat to my postman he tells me of all the people that are asking him were stuff is because its late.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ConorBDeNiro

Thanks

No sign of mine either. I'm starting to think they lost a crate or something. I'm on another site where someone who ordered something from Adidas on the 20th November was contacted to say the package had been lost.

No sign of mine either. I'm starting to think they lost a crate or something. I'm on another site where someone who ordered something from Adidas on the 20th November was contacted to say the package had been lost.

I got my An Post tracking from DHL on the 30th November, tracking is still dead so I'd say it's just a mega backlog

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm getting UK mail quicker than ROI mail

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

I'd be saying for people to look at what delivery service European companies use.

DPD have minor delays from Europe as everything goes by truck. From Germany, dpd is a four day service, Poland 6-7days, Italy 7-8 days, Czechia/Slovakia 4-5 days.

Gls are a couple of days slower, but also use road/sea.

Ups economy uses road/sea.

It's when you see DHL Post (national post network in Germany) Austria post, La Posted etc, they all generally use air freight and that has very limited capacity.

DHL express and UPS priority are also quick (but expensive) as they use their own cargo planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Is there the same delays in send letters and parcels to the U.K. as there is in getting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Parcel that left the US on November 19th arrived in Dublin today, finally.

• Advertisement

Parcel that left the US on November 19th arrived in Dublin today, finally.

I'll correct that.

Parcel sat in cargo holding area from 19th Nov until probably Friday.
    Finally got cargo space on one of the very few flights from USA to Ireland, landed Saturday morning, scanned in an post today.

Advertisement