Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Does any one have any idea if Irish customs are opening every small package/ largish envelope than comes from Royal Mail across to an Post?

So far everything I have ordered has been opened although I was using addresspal in those cases.

This time its just direct to me via royal Mail standard.Total value including postage will come under €22. Also what kind of delays might I expect? Thanks for any info

If the documentation is in the the form of a sticker label and on the outside of the package chances are it won't be open.
    Saves them time not having to check contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

An post have had my parcel since April 5th. Tracking shows that it goes out for delivery every day since (including the weekend) and returns to the parcel centre. Rang them last week and they said they're having issues with the parcel centre but I'm still seeing the same updates.
    Not sure if there is any way to get my parcel as it seems to be stuck in some continuous loop and An Post have been no help whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    An post have had my parcel since April 5th. Tracking shows that it goes out for delivery every day since (including the weekend) and returns to the parcel centre. Rang them last week and they said they're having issues with the parcel centre but I'm still seeing the same updates.
    Not sure if there is any way to get my parcel as it seems to be stuck in some continuous loop and An Post have been no help whatsoever.

Drop down to your Delivery Service Unit with tracking number and iD. Might be an issue with the label and full address not showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

silver2020 wrote: »
    Drop down to your Delivery Service Unit with tracking number and iD. Might be an issue with the label and full address not showing.

I would but it says the depot it's in is no where near where I live. Not sure if the guys in the local depot will be able to help in that regard. It might just be my last resort though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Have An Post stopped scanning items or putting up the info on Track & Trace at the moment?

I have two items, one I dropped to the post office last Wednesday with a pre-printed label and another coming in from the UK, and neither show any tracking info and says they haven't been received yet.

I can understand for the one coming in from the UK, but the pre-printed one staying in Ireland was scanned when it was handed in...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Don't know what's going on with An Post recently. Never had any problems, could almost always tell what time the mail would arrive but now it's been days since I've seen them delivering mail. The other half was expecting an AliExpress parcel yesterday that we thought would arrive by An Post but no sign of it. Had to interpret tracking updates from Chinese to find out An Post supposedly tried to deliver and failed. No evidence though that they did.

I can see the gate from the window while I work and can hear when someone is outside. They have never had any trouble whatsoever to open the gate, distribute the mail and leave and I can guarantee no-one tried to deliver anything yesterday. No-one even tried to call and they have the number. In fact, none of the neighbours have had mail delivered in the past few days. Oh wait, there was a completely white van yesterday at the gate around noon for less than ten seconds. They opened the gate, drove between the gate, stared through the windshield for like five seconds (no-one came out of the car), then reversed out.

Haven't seen the mailman today. Are they on strike, taking a vacation or all struck down by Covid or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Well the parcel I wrote about in my previous post turned up but now I'm having trouble getting a parcel from Cork to arrive in Dublin. Left Cork on Wednesday, then no new updates until yesterday morning when the tracking showed it was sent to the wrong delivery office in Co. Clare. Turned up at Portlaoise mail centre yesterday evening and when I checked this morning, it's gone. Nothing comes up when I try the tracking code. It's like it never existed.

Never really had any problems so not sure what to do here. Pretty annoyed since the store in Cork had my full delivery address, Eircode etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Well the parcel I wrote about in my previous post turned up but now I'm having trouble getting a parcel from Cork to arrive in Dublin. Left Cork on Wednesday, then no new updates until yesterday morning when the tracking showed it was sent to the wrong delivery office in Co. Clare. Turned up at Portlaoise mail centre yesterday evening and when I checked this morning, it's gone. Nothing comes up when I try the tracking code. It's like it never existed.

Never really had any problems so not sure what to do here. Pretty annoyed since the store in Cork had my full delivery address, Eircode etc.

The An Post tracking is down, nothing shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Heres the tracking from my Amazon parcel so far. When it went to Merrywell I called An Post and he sent an email to the Merrywell centre giving them the full details of the parcel and full address, just incase the label was unreadable or something.

Gonna have to ring again in the morning as I don't know what's happening with it. It's a birthday present that my dad sent and he's getting worried it won't turn up and he might not get a refund as apparently on the Amazon side it says delivered.

23 April 2021 17:13
    Your item was delivered PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS
    23 April 2021 11:44
    We have your post and are getting it ready for delivery PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS
    21 April 2021 22:18
    Your delivery has been sorted PARK WEST, DUBLIN 12
    21 April 2021 21:26
    We have your post in PARK WEST, DUBLIN 12
    19 April 2021 08:11
    Your delivery has been sorted MERRYWELL DSU LARGE PCLS, DUBLIN 12
    We have your post in MERRYWELL DSU LARGE PCLS, DUBLIN 12
    17 April 2021 07:32
    We tried to deliver your post
    Reason: The address was incomplete.
    17 April 2021 06:37
    Your post is out for delivery
    17 April 2021 02:19
    We have your post and are getting it ready for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Heres the tracking from my Amazon parcel so far. When it went to Merrywell I called An Post and he sent an email to the Merrywell centre giving them the full details of the parcel and full address, just incase the label was unreadable or something.

Gonna have to ring again in the morning as I don't know what's happening with it. It's a birthday present that my dad sent and he's getting worried it won't turn up and he might not get a refund as apparently on the Amazon side it says delivered.

23 April 2021 17:13
    Your item was delivered PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS
    23 April 2021 11:44
    We have your post and are getting it ready for delivery PORTLAOISE MAIL CENTRE, CO LAOIS
    21 April 2021 22:18
    Your delivery has been sorted PARK WEST, DUBLIN 12
    21 April 2021 21:26
    We have your post in PARK WEST, DUBLIN 12
    Your delivery has been sorted MERRYWELL DSU LARGE PCLS, DUBLIN 12
    We have your post in MERRYWELL DSU LARGE PCLS, DUBLIN 12
    17 April 2021 07:32
    We tried to deliver your post
    Reason: The address was incomplete.
    17 April 2021 06:37
    Your post is out for delivery
    17 April 2021 02:19
    We have your post and are getting it ready for delivery
    It looks like it was sent back to Portlaoise mail centre because there was something wrong with the address. Portlaoise is the return address for Amazon items.

• Advertisement

gerard2210 wrote: »
    It looks like it was sent back to Portlaoise mail centre because there was something wrong with the address. Portlaoise is the return address for Amazon items.

Its also the delivery depot for Portlaoise and the many towns around it incl Portarlington, Abbeyleix & Mountrath. So depends on the delivery address and whether it is in the area.

It might also signify that the item couldn't be delivered and the delivery person clicked the incorrect icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Yet another item a day later than expected with An Post. In the past anything getting to Dublin one day would be delivered to me in Waterford the next. Last few items have been two days once an item reached Dublin. Definitely An Posts fault not Amazons, items have arrived in plenty of time for them to be sorted and sent down to Waterford.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Yet another item a day later than expected with An Post. In the past anything getting to Dublin one day would be delivered to me in Waterford the next. Last few items have been two days once an item reached Dublin. Definitely An Posts fault not Amazons, items have arrived in plenty of time for them to be sorted and sent down to Waterford.

Ah bless, an item takes 2 days and life is ruined.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Ah bless, an item takes 2 days and life is ruined.

I'll survive but your post just gives a chance to show how bad An Post has got when it can't provide a service that it could in the past.

Very poor when they scan an item in Dublin a 9am one day and can't get it to Waterford for delivery the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I'll survive but your post just gives a chance to show how bad An Post has got when it can't provide a service that it could in the past.

Very poor when they scan an item in Dublin a 9am one day and can't get it to Waterford for delivery the following day.

Not a huge amount of staff in the sorting facilities at 9am

That 9am scan is probably just indicating the delivery of a container with your package and the actual sorting of it wouldn't be for a few more hours

SPDUB wrote: »
    Not a huge amount of staff in the sorting facilities at 9am

That 9am scan is probably just indicating the delivery of a container with your package and the actual sorting of it wouldn't be for a few more hours

In the past anything that got to Dublin and scanned in the morning would arrive to me the following day.

I think its the last 5 items from Amazon where An Post have added another day to the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

An Post used to be great with Amazon stuff but since around July they've been very unreliable. I had some items take 3 or 4 days to be delivered after An Post scanned them last year. Thankfully 95% of my orders are now Amazon Logistics who have been flawless for delivering the same day they receive.

VG31 wrote: »
    An Post used to be great with Amazon stuff but since around July they've been very unreliable. I had some items take 3 or 4 days to be delivered after An Post scanned them last year. Thankfully 95% of my orders are now Amazon Logistics who have been flawless for delivering the same day they receive.

Two possibilities. One is that they have a lot of Amazon stuff to sort but aren't providing enough staff to do the job or two they know they are going to loose all the Amazon business eventually so aren't bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Srfcsean

What happens when your regular postman posty is sick , do other chip in with the round ? Or is it doubled up on his next run ? Any help would be great

Srfcsean wrote: »
    What happens when your regular postman posty is sick , do other chip in with the round ? Or is it doubled up on his next run ? Any help would be great

There are part time postman who step in for holidays, illness etc. If a postman retires or leaves the job they can move up and take over the round then a new guy gets trained up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Usually someone else takes the route for a while. Same applies in case of postie's holiday break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Srfcsean wrote: »

Most DSU's have a couple of delivery people who have good knowledge of several routes and they float around them covering holidays & if off sick.

I know the Naas dsu has one senior guy that just does this - everything from collections to deliveries to internal work. He then uses the experience to make some small changes to the routes.

I'd guess most dsu's have a similar set-up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Parcel from Amazon showing with An Post tracking as being sorted in Dublin since May 9th. No movement.

An Post saying initially its down to volume, and then today saying it's actually still with customs. Customs say its not with them, and to revert to An Post to find the parcel.

Amazon are offering to resend, apparently I can't send it though Amazon Logistics in Ireland and it'll end up with An Post again and possibly end up in another endless loop.

Madness

Sully wrote: »
    Parcel from Amazon showing with An Post tracking as being sorted in Dublin since May 9th. No movement.

An Post saying initially its down to volume, and then today saying it's actually still with customs. Customs say its not with them, and to revert to An Post to find the parcel.

Amazon are offering to resend, apparently I can't send it though Amazon Logistics in Ireland and it'll end up with An Post again and possibly end up in another endless loop.

Madness

Chatted with my postman today he arrived real early just after 11am, normal time would be about 1pm and if he's busy 2pm.

Amazon deliveries dropped off last week and this week he's got so few he was nearly 2 hours early.

So I doubt there is any problem with too much volume in Dublin.

Had the usual issue Tuesday. An item in Dublin at 10am on Monday was delivered while one item that arrived at 10.30 am didn't make it until today Wednesday. No big deal but thats poor service compared what An Post used to be able to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kcassidy313

I've had a parcel with An Post for over a week now. It's had the same status for 8 days: "Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12"

I've spoken to them on chat twice and their response "This item seems to have been delayed in the Mail Centre for the last few days. This delay occurred due to high mail volumes in our network. Please keep an eye on the tracking system and it should be dispatched in the coming days."

Which doesn't really bode well with me as I've had other items go through the same 'Dublin 12 parcel hub' since then and got through in the space of a day.

Anyone experienced that before? Is the parcel lost, or is it likely to actually show up?

I've had a parcel with An Post for over a week now. It's had the same status for 8 days: "Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12"

I've spoken to them on chat twice and their response "This item seems to have been delayed in the Mail Centre for the last few days. This delay occurred due to high mail volumes in our network. Please keep an eye on the tracking system and it should be dispatched in the coming days."

Which doesn't really bode well with me as I've had other items go through the same 'Dublin 12 parcel hub' since then and got through in the space of a day.

Anyone experienced that before? Is the parcel lost, or is it likely to actually show up?
    why not contact the company that sent it to you.

Think of it this way - you are a customer asking about one single parcel, so you will get a standard stock answer

The company that sent it is a customer that possibly sends 200,000 parcels a year. They will have an account manager who will answer them quickly and be able to talk directly to depot managers and will get you an accurate response

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hungryhill

I have one parcel which shows 'Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN PARCEL HUB' since May 6th (!).
    Got refunded by Amazon and reordered same items again. Now again I have 'Your delivery has been sorted...' since May 18th (normally the day after being sorted in Dublin it gets delivered).

Can't even find their webchat page anymore so I sent an inquiry via Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I was expecting an Amazon delivery this morning and I also this delayed alert from them. An Post tracking also claims it is in Dublin.

This happened before and I never got the parcel - An Post had lost it. Amazon refunded me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

For me, an post saying Amazon at fault for a wrong label on the parcel and not responding to customs seeking the right one.

Amazon are just asking me to see what happens with the replacement they sent, and disregard the first order.

So far part of the reorder remains sorted, like before, in the mail center. Amazon asking I give it more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

MY last purchase from Amazon U.K. has not arrived.

My account says it is “on the way but delayed” and An Post tracking says it is in Dublin.

Over the weekend the order details added that it I may be lost and “ We're very sorry your delivery is so late. Although it may still arrive, you can request a refund now.”.

I would have expected it to also say that if I request a refund that I should have An Post return to sender if it does show up. Or at least to offer the option to send the items again.

I contacted An Post who say it delayed due to volume and other people here have said the same.

Are Amazon saying that if I request a refund they are happy for me to keep the items if they show up? As a way to keep me happy about the delay?

I contacted their customer support and the agent just repeated it could still arrive but can I assume they would just charge me again if the parcel showed up after I asked for a refund?

Advertisement